1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use it, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tony Kanaan loves reduced downforce-is Formula 1 listening?

Discussion in 'Formula One Discussion' started by marksawatsky, Dec 14, 2017.

1. marksawatsky

marksawatsky Points Scorer Contributor

Tony Kanaan has driven the 2018 IndyCar with its reduced downforce and he's over the moon about it. Think anybody in Formula 1 is paying attention to this? How would a modern F1 car drive with half the downforce? What would the racing be like? Article here: Kanaan on 2018 car: 'This is what I've been missing'

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to remove all adverts.
  3. gethinceri

gethinceri "suck my balls honey" Contributor

Featured Threads:
    F1 needs downforce from the underside of the car and not winglets and other such nonsense.
    MORE downforce with less dirty air behind.
    Or a grid full of Brabham BT46s

Andyoak likes this.
  4. marksawatsky

marksawatsky Points Scorer Contributor

Yes, I've read a few places that ground effects doesn't affect a following car as much. Hopefully some smart people will get the changes done

gethinceri likes this.
  5. Rutherford

Rutherford Points Scorer

Can’t be too much longer until they changing something; it’s a discussion that’s only been going on for the last 15 years.

6. TR

TR Rookie

A key part of the problem is how to regulate the aero, without become over prescriptive and killing all opportunity for differentiation and innovation.

I have been wondering if it would be viable too simply enforce a limit on the total aerodynamic downforce generated (to be defined as the total force exerted on the track minus the vertical acceleration times the mass of the car). The aero gurus, can then still compete on trying to generate the maximal downforce at all speeds while minimizing the drag. Because the focus shifts to minimizing drag, the cars should also produce less turbulence, while being less susceptible to the negative effects of dirty air.

7. cider_and_toast

cider_and_toast Everything in moderation Staff Member Premium Contributor

Featured Threads:
    Fixed that for you ;)

Wombcat likes this.
  8. Wombcat

Wombcat Podium Finisher

I didn't have enough ikes for this.
    <-

cider_and_toast likes this.
  9. Bill Boddy

Bill Boddy Professional layabout Premium Contributor

10. cider_and_toast

cider_and_toast Everything in moderation Staff Member Premium Contributor

Featured Threads:
    You have to wonder if these people are watching the same thing as the rest of us?

teabagyokel likes this.

Share This