The V6 Engines

But sushifiesta Honda will be working on an engine which has not been homologated (what an awful word) whereas the other teams can only change parts that the rest of the teams agree to.

I think there's still a lot that can be changed under the current homolgation rules, they're tightening over the next few years.

I believe that during the season they can only upgrade the engines for reliability and only with the agreement of the other manufacturers. Inter-season though I think they can go nuts.

They could not make changes even during the off season previously. I don't see any sign of the current system being any different.

I've got my money on Honda being quick out of the box, by that I mean they'll be competitive from their first GP. They're Japanese, thats what they do. :D

That is something I don't understand. Why off season, and why restricted?

Let them develop it properly for a few years, heck, why even have an engine freeze? What will they do once these engines get properly outdated?

Ridiculous.

They put it under the auspices of cost restrictions. Allow the manufacturers to spend hundreds of millions on development before launch, but then prevent them spending a few million a year on improvements.

Oh, and then try and introduce a budget cap!

You couldnt make it up!!

F1 logic/cycle of life:
1) Change engine regulations to make technology more relevant to road cars and efficiency.
2) Hope new engine regulations attract new manufacturers.
3) Manufacturers spend hundreds of millions on making new engine.
3) Ban manufacturers from developing their engines.
4) Manufacturers can't use F1 as an R&D project any more.
5) Engine technology quickly becomes redundant again.
6) Manufacturers get bored of/can't justify F1 any more.
7) Manufacturers leave.
8) Go back to step 1.

Last edited:
After its early season struggles Renault are expecting some of their drivers/teams to have to take penalties for using more than 5 power units this season. In particular the issue is with the control electronics systems - Vettel and Kobayashi have already used four (in five races) out of their allowance of five for the season!

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/114033

So whilst on the outside it seems like reliability has been much better than expected it's still looking pretty likely that we'll be seeing a lot of grid penalties in the latter stages of the season...

If they keep going through boxes of electric at that rate then there will be at least 2 penalties for them before the end of the season. I didn't know 'electric' were considered part of the engine. I assume fuel flow meters don't come under the heading 'electrics' I think Red Bull went through dozens in the first few races.

If they keep going through boxes of electric at that rate then there will be at least 2 penalties for them before the end of the season. I didn't know 'electric' were considered part of the engine. I assume fuel flow meters don't come under the heading 'electrics' I think Red Bull went through dozens in the first few races.

My understanding is they get 5 'power units' for the whole season - that is including the engine, the turbo, the MGU-H and MGU-K. However they get to 'mix and match' them - e.g. if the MGU-H from Power Unit 1 fails early, then they can get the one from Power Unit 2 and attach it to Power Unit 1 without penalty, until they go through all 5 at which point there is of course a penalty.

From here: http://cliptheapex.com/overtaking/seasons/2014/

• Maximum of five engines per car are permitted for the whole season with drivers having to start from the pit lane should they use a sixth engine
  • Maximum of five individual engine components per car are permitted for the whole season with a ten place grid drop penalty applied for a sixth element and subsequent five place grid drop penalties applied for each additional element thereafter
  • In the event that such a penalty relegates a driver past the back row of the grid, the remaining penalty will carry over to the next race

Renault saying they can run their engine at full potential now............. how many times did they say this already?

Auto Motor und Sport is claiming that Renaults engine facility in Viry is for sale.
Renault planning on leaving?

Germany's Auto Motor und Sport cited sources estimating the horse power deficit at between 40 and 70bhp. And with the mandatory engine development 'freeze', there is little Renault can do short of arguing to the FIA that the rules should be relaxed so that Mercedes' rivals have a chance. "That will not happen," insisted Dr Helmut Marko. "The focus is on next year."

But now, the latest shock rumour: correspondent Michael Schmidt says he has heard paddock whispers that the F1 engine facility at Viry-Chattilon is for sale. Schmidt said F1 is costing Renault "more than expected" at some EUR 50 million per season, with the rest coming from customers -- and some of them are apparently paying late. Making the situation worse, the PR value for Renault is currently "rather low", Schmidt explained. "Only criticism and bad press".

According to Brackley and Brixworth-based Mercedes' Niki Lauda, however, Renault might struggle to find a buyer, due to the restrictive working regulations in France. "In France, they work 37 hours a week," he said. "In England it is 43." (GMM)

Back
Top Bottom