Poll The Rosberg Penalty Hockenheim 2016

Did Nico Rosberg deserve the penalty for his overtake on Max Verstapen.

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
Yes, it was wrong but why should he be the one to be penalised. There are other driver who have dome the same multiple times without any sign of a penalty. We have seen drivers go off at that corner many times, not one of them has ever looked remotely like they were in danger; as has been said above it didn't cost Verstappen any relative time, in fact because Rosberg nearly stopped he nearly lost a position which he had in the bag.

I have commented on the penalty elsewhere but will repeat it; if it really is wirth a penalty then it is worth a drive through, five seconds is well worth it to get past someone quickly.

tis
Yes, it was wrong but why should he be the one to be penalised..

Yes other drivers have carried on beyond the turn in point; I may be wrong but, it because they have out braked themselves. Their tyres have generally locked at some point and most have failed to make the track limits themselves.

It seems strange the guy on the outside (& alongside), on the dust and marbles, can attempt to turn in to the corner when the car inside can't (with no obvious control issues).

It is of course, perfectly reasonable to assume that he just made a mistake today, however with a similar incident in Austria (I think) I believe he should be punished. Otherwise any defending drivers can just hug the inner line, and carry on straight, moderating their speed until their opposition runs out of track, why attempt the apex?

I would like to say I thought the first attempt was a good idea , from a racers (his) point of view, and I like to see Rosberg giving everything. However when it was penalised last time, it is hard to defend.

On a happy note I enjoyed watching the race, not a classic, but they kept it interesting :)

Last edited:
I personally think Rosberg was hard done by, Max dinked to the right as Rosberg's brain would have got to the key stage of his thought process:

Come on Car
Come on Car
Come on Car we're closing
Yes Yes Yes
Oh Corner
Is it steer or brake first?
Oh crap press Brake
What's Max doing?
Sh*t I forgot to steer again
Don't crash in to me
Don't Crash in to me

ATL11 I'd probably have agreed if it wasn't for the fact he has history of forgetting to steer! The "again," is the problem part here, either he has temporary term memory loss in overtaking situations or he's doing it intentionally, and I'm not too sure which would be worse here!

As soon as Max realised that Rosberg was alongside he jinked his car out of the way, so no fault to him IMO. Rosberg didn't react nearly as quickly, in fact hardly at all. It seemed he'd decided on an action and was determined to carry it out,even though there was a car on his chosen line.
Either that or he has no peripheral vision, or his brain fades when alongside another car. If he'd let Max back in front he would have avoided the penalty, and been able to have another go at Max and probably make it stick, after all he was in the faster car.

I think this decision was based on the people involved. Max can do no wrong; Nico is a much disliked whipping boy.(See comments such as he's a twat and deserves any penalty they give him) Even Horner himself said Rosberg needed to sell the move better by locking up. Had Rosberg locked up though he would have become an out of control sled and t-boned Max. Max loses little if any time in the maneuver and may have even benefited from a wider line as he was able to hit the throttle earlier and almost takes back the position. Was Max forced out by his momentum or Rosberg? Watching the video it certainly looks like Max may not have made the turn cleanly even if Rosberg had not been there. Brundle and other Sky commentators think the stewards got it wrong.

I don't see an issue with either of the above videos.

Lewis and Pastor both made the corners, they just didn't give each other enough room. Pastor should of got out off it and lewis should of left more room. A racing incident.
Vettel was penalised because he completed an overtake off track and didn't give the place back. Jenson left plenty room its just Seb was carrying to much speed to stay on track.

The Rosberg move is very different, he intentional goes wide to push max off, doesn't attempt the corner, steers straight to the edge of the track until he knows max will not be able to turn in and will be forced off track. It was pre-meditated.

The others videos are just racing.

Last edited:
I personally think Rosberg was hard done by, Max dinked to the right....

-----------------------------

Jinking to the right is pretty much the normal racing line there. Then he un-jinked to the left once he saw Nico on the right, who kept straight on and until he was jinked off. :)

Well Lewis was probably a naughty boy there but that was last year wasn't it?

I don't see the point of putting up clips of previous incidents to compare or justify a current one. I am of the opinion that each and every incident has to be vieewed entirely separately and on its own merit, entirely independent of any prejudice from previous incidents.

It's the end of any debate when everybody starts going on about "yeah but what about that time when so-and-so did this or whatever, and there' s never any end to it.

This thread is strictly about the Max/Nico incident. Nothing to do with any previous incidents whatsoever.

Incubus
Sorry, but what absolute bunkum. If you have a single set of rules, then identical incidents should be punished in the same way. This is how the law works - by means of precedents. The precedent has been set in the past that if a driver eases an opponent off the track at the exit of a turn, then they won't be punished... The only thing that is consistent about the stewards is their level of inconsistency.

the stwewards are not briefed to be prejudiced when instances of previous incidents when making a decision are they? They certainly wouldn't be doing their job properly if they did. They might not be infallible and we might disagree with them sometimes but they're supposed to rule on each separate incident and certainly not let themselves be influenced by drivers' reputations.

There's already the FIA's penalty point system to take care of accumulated offences.

I apologise if I set a hare running but The Artist sums it up perfectly. Yes, every incident should be judged on it's own merits but, unfortunately, in F1 there is no consistency. I haven't had the sound on when watching the Rosberg/Verstappen incident but I bet Max was squealing like a stuck pig . Well boo hoo, you can dish it out but you can't take it. He'd lost the corner but insisted on having a little jink at Rosberg as he came alongside and got the reaction I would expect of any driver "you do that to me, I'll do it to you".

All F1 drivers need to man up and stop whining to the team and "to Charlie" every time something happens on the track. Did you see the recent Sky piece on the pit wall communications? All teams have a "Charlie" button. Communication to race control should be one way only, the teams should not be able to question a decision or ask for an incident to be investigated which is the equivalent of footballers pressuring the referee to book someone or send them off. If the stewards are there to adjudicate on incidents then let them do it totally unimpeded.

On the Maldonado/Hamilton incident Lewis got what he deserved by ending up in the wall. I think the penalty on Rosberg was rather harsh. I think I saw in the German PQR thread some comment about Alonso slowing other cars down before the DRS zones to make sure they couldn't overtake. Should he be penalised for that? He is creating an advantage for himself which could cause an accident.

You hit the nail on the head FB. While I believe Rosberg should have had a penalty, so should Lewis last year. I fully agree with you that the principle reason that the one was punished but the other wasn't, was the use of the Charlie button. Unless you are Ron Dennis and it's Ayrton then no team will ever protest against itself.

cider_and_toast
I'm in a slightly different place, but with the same rationale; given that all of the previous cases have gone unpunished, then to suddenly punish Rosberg yesterday seems outright bizarre!

If it is a case that the stewards are simply saying "Well, Rosberg was a naughty boy in Austria, and here he is, he must be being a naughty boy again" - then this isn't treating individuals dispassionately, and without bias. As soon as bias slips in, then no-one can gain a fair hearing.

My word that was ugly. It's like he wanted to prove that his "attempt" to use this tactic in Austria was somehow valid. You simply cannot run someone off the road before, and without even attempting to take the corner. Just awful.

Drivers with racecraft take the corner, first and foremost, then take their normal line to the edge of the track. Nico is not even concerning himself with cornering until the other guy is nearly off the circuit. 5 secs was probably lenient.

Back
Top Bottom