Politics The Politics thread

Discussion in 'Gravel Trap' started by Jen, Jul 14, 2011.

1. gethinceri

gethinceri Daniil Kvyat Fan. Alfa Romeo Fan. Contributor

Featured Threads:
    Yes, the Lords is an interesting jumble of characters. It would help to have a list of why they're there e.g.
    Military
    Hereditary
    Clergy
    People's Peer
    Labour appointee
    Conservative appointee
    etc.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to remove all adverts.
  3. Jen

Jen Here be dragons. Contributor

They are the mayhem faction, I think. It's always nice to have a second opinion but like most, the Commons will go with their first idea - so good that we only give THOL expenses!

gethinceri likes this.
  4. ExtremeNinja

ExtremeNinja Karting amateur Contributor

So. London Mayoral Elections coming up. I'll never forget this:

5. Brogan

Brogan Leg end Staff Member

Featured Threads:
    He sums up exactly why those who want to be in politics are the worst kind of people to actually be in politics.

jenov2003 likes this.
  6. ExtremeNinja

That speech does nothing but make me proud to be a Londoner.

7. Jen

Why? The language is banal, the sentiment twee and inaccurate and it's Ken Livingstone. Were you being ironic? :)

8. Brogan

Featured Threads:
    I agree :D

9. ExtremeNinja

Nope. For all Ken's faults that speech was a dose of medicine when we needed it most.

10. FB

FB Not my cup of cake Valued Member

Featured Threads:
    Fantasy F1 Profile:
    FF1 Profile
    Fantasy F1 Team-mate:
    FF1 Team-mate
    Fantasy F1 Rival:
    FF1 Rival
    Here's the members of House of Lords

http://www.parliament.uk/mps-lords-and-offices/lords/

11. Bill Boddy

Bill Boddy Professional layabout Premium Contributor

A quick scan indicates that there are quite a number of crossbenchers, i.e. those with no political affiliation. We could do with a lot more of those in both houses.

jenov2003 and FB like this.
  12. Galahad

Galahad Not a Moderator Valued Member

Featured Threads:
    We're all in this together:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-16752358

13. Jen

I have not earned that amount of money (£963k) since I have been working - as I am now 61 that's quite depressing - obviously not in the right industry or too nice!

14. FB

Featured Threads:
    Fantasy F1 Profile:
    FF1 Profile
    Fantasy F1 Team-mate:
    FF1 Team-mate
    Fantasy F1 Rival:
    FF1 Rival
    I type this quote with some trepidation but I won't paraphrase this time "All animals are equal but some are more equal than others"

Nice that it rounded down to less than a million given that this was what "call me Dave" asked for. Given Hester's record so far on the share price he should be able to reduce the value of that bonus by another 30% in the next year.

15. Brogan

Featured Threads:
    Let's not forget which party it was that negotiated his contract ;)

If the government had vetoed the bonuses, the whole board was going to resign (apparently). Not to mention the potential for them to sue for breach of contract.
    I can just imagine the flak Cameron would have taken if that had happened.

Rock <-> hard place.

16. Galahad

Featured Threads:
    I don't think either party can claim any credit for this mess.

Surely there must be someone else of equal "talent" willing to struggle by on just the £1.2m salary, though?

jenov2003 likes this.
  17. Jen

I'm ready to come out of retirement at a moments notice G!!

18. Brogan

Featured Threads:
    Agreed.

Apparently not though, everything I've read seems to indicate those who are capable of doing the job aren't prepared to work for such a "low" salary, and they don't want to harm their future salary prospects by accepting less than the market rate.

Of course, quite why the market rate is that high is another issue altogether.

19. Galahad

Featured Threads:
    And even at the cost of public fury a la Fred Goodwin?

Just because you can't put a monetary value on doing the right thing, doesn't mean it is a worthless thing to do.

20. FB

Featured Threads:
    Fantasy F1 Profile:
    FF1 Profile
    Fantasy F1 Team-mate:
    FF1 Team-mate
    Fantasy F1 Rival:
    FF1 Rival
    Listening to Today on R4 the contract doesn't have a guaranteed bonus, it's discretionary and in the gift of the companies remuneration committee. But, given that they are probably RBS employees, they know which side their bread is buttered now don't they.

At some point this all has to stop. Giving someone a bonus for losing 30% of a companies share value is simply madness, as are the constant hikes in board room pay. I've heard two different figures bandied about that the CEO's of the FTSE 100 have had between a 12 and 49% pay rise. Which ever it is it's a bloody site more than they are giving their staff so how can they justify it? Greed, upon greed, upon greed.

jenov2003 and Galahad like this.
  21. Jen

Of course, if Mr Hester doesn't get it right, he will destroy his own bonus, as he is not allowed to sell his shares for some years. In the interim, if he does get it right and the share capital increases significantly, then it is an incentive for him to do his job and increase the fortunes of RBS.

tooncheese likes this.

Share This

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use it, you are agreeing to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice