Politics The Politics thread

Discussion in 'Gravel Trap' started by Jen, Jul 14, 2011.

1. Brogan

Brogan Leg end Staff Member

Featured Threads:
    ... not what the British think or hope or wish it was.

Quite frankly, the US as a country and the American people couldn't give a shit about the UK.

It's very much (even more so now) America first, last, and always.

F1Brits_90, gethinceri and Andyoak like this.
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to remove all adverts.
  3. Andyoak

Andyoak Race Winner

America was founded by people who couldn't fit into the UK and Europe back in the day; usually through different ideals.

America grew on the backs of people who couldn't make it in UK and Europe; seeking classless opportunity.

America has no cultural or historical ties to the old world; other than something to escape from.

It certainly doesn't have any ties to the UK other than to celebrate their independence from us every year.

4. siffert_fan

siffert_fan Too old to watch the Asian races live. Contributor

Featured Threads:
    Name one country that DOESN'T put itself first,last and always.

5. FB

FB Not my cup of cake Valued Member

Featured Threads:
    Fantasy F1 Profile:
    FF1 Profile
    Fantasy F1 Team-mate:
    FF1 Team-mate
    Fantasy F1 Rival:
    FF1 Rival
    I would have a real problem if there was a General Election. I'm left leaning and like some of the policies Corbyn has suggested (taking utilities back in to public ownership for example) but I can't bring myself to vote for the Labour Party as many of those pulling the strings are serious left wing nut jobs who would take this country back decades if not centuries.

Meanwhile we have the rabid right wing running the Conservative Party and, apart for wanting them to see through what the British public voted for in the referendum (and, remember, I voted remain) all there other plans are toxic, would only benefit the well off and would make the lives of ordinary working people horrendous.

The Lib Dems are simply a waste of space and Chukka will not only be parachuted in to Vince Cable's constituency but probably as leader in the near future. There's a man you can trust to do what is best (for him)

The Brexit party is full of all the nutters and loonies who used to inhabit UKIP (which is now appears to be a front for the BNP or EDL).

Is there another option? SNP tend not to put up a candidate in Huntingdonshire so I really don't have a clue who I could vote for.

6. cider_and_toast

cider_and_toast Exulted Lord High Moderator of the Apex Staff Member Premium Contributor

Featured Threads:
    Tibet?

7. Brogan

Featured Threads:
    Trump invites conservatives, including fringe figures, to White House for social media summit - CNN

The scary thing is, the number of educated people who support him.

I have a neighbour here who is a former genetic scientist and now a lawyer, and he and his wife are 100% behind trump.
    Yet he seems totally normal.
    Ironically, his wife's parents are Italian and barely speak English and they are massive Trump supporters also.

Another acquaintance is a pilot, from Canada of all places, and thinks Trump is great.

My wife works with Indians, Mexicans, people of all colours and countries, all of whom Trump has insulted and denigrated, yet they all voted for him.

I just don't get it.

Greenlantern101 likes this.
  8. Angel

Angel Happy to be here. Contributor

Featured Threads:
    Well we're told it exists, then again we're told lots of things that aren't true.

All I know is my family and one US family have had a special relationship since 1958 (before I was born) that is still going strong thankfully and all due to one act of kindness on my grandfathers part.

Politics is just a dirty word these days for most people, just when you think it can't get any worse, it does.

9. Brogan

Featured Threads:
    Trump delivers meandering speech to his digital army of supporters at the White House - CNN

I can't see us staying here after November 2020 when trump wins again.

I can't take another 4 years of this clueless ****ing moron, or the idiots who support and enable him.

Titch likes this.
  10. siffert_fan

siffert_fan Too old to watch the Asian races live. Contributor

Featured Threads:
    I don't think the world can survive four more years of the idiot.

gethinceri and Titch like this.
  11. Greenlantern101

Greenlantern101 Super Hero And All Round Good Guy Contributor

Featured Threads:
    Never happen. You could have the Tories responsible for starting a zombie apocalypse and the south of England will still vote Tory.
    A general election will solve nothing.

12. Angel

Angel Happy to be here. Contributor

Featured Threads:
    I live in a safe Tory seat and I've voted Tory all my adult life, I won't be voting for them in the next election, not a chance and nor will some others I know either.

13. Izumi

Izumi Points Scorer

Media probably bear some responsibility for this mess. A lot of misinformation is let into oversaturated public domain, and some voters are sick and tired to hear every day the same narrative, if and when they tune in, often to the same source of "wisdom".

I don't expect this to change any time soon.

14. Dartman

Dartman Points Scorer

The media are more interested in destroying any politician that is or has aspirations on being PM in the present climate, they no longer report news, the object is to make it

Titch likes this.
  15. Titch

Titch Champion Elect Premium Contributor

Featured Threads:
    Fantasy F1 Profile:
    FF1 Profile
    How true Dartman. But in my opinion they have not been reporting the news , but creating it for years now.

Having said that I’m finding it hard to envisage a world where Trump and Johnson are running their respective countries at the same time. We could end up with :
    1. War between our two countries.
    2. War with the rest of the world
    3. The dissolution of both Governments, and Boris and Trump walking off into the sunset hand in hand.

16. Bill Boddy

Bill Boddy Professional layabout Premium Contributor

Well now we know that Johnson is perfectly willing to let Trump select our ambassador to the USA so I am sure that he will be willing to acquiesce to whatever trump wants. Seem a strange thing to do for someone who wanted to leave the EU to bring back control to the British Parliament.

17. Ruslan

Ruslan Points Scorer

Well, we can....but I don’t want to. It is just to frickin embarrassing.

cider_and_toast likes this.
  18. Dartman

Dartman Points Scorer

The bit I don't get about the leak is what the security classification of the email was/is, I'm assuming it wasn't above confidential as the Official Secrets Act would come into force and the Daily Mail wouldn't have been able to publish, so it was either a deliberate leak to p**s of Trump and get a childish reaction with Theresa May having a non attributable dig, or the Foreign Office and the ambassador cocked up

19. Izumi

Izumi Points Scorer

It was reported that a person who published content of emails is pro-Brexit supporter. Whether this revealing act is service or disservice to British interest in current political climate is debatable. What I do not understand is how 15 min of sensationalism by a paper can replace claim to patriotism, which is in its essence at the front and centre of support for Brexit.
    One ends therefore with logical conclusion, that most likely it was not that much paper which wanted to publish the risky story, but someone in the background put paper under pressure (or promise of future favors) to do that. SY is investigating, however there is nowhere written they will make their findings public, if the story would further embarrass government of the day.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2019
  20. RasputinLives

RasputinLives Not dead Contributor

Featured Threads:
    Izumi can you please provide link to where it's reported that the person providing the link was a pro-brexit supporter? Not seen that anywhere.

21. Izumi

Izumi Points Scorer

Employee of the paper that published the revelation was described as a female, and a strong pro-Brexit movement supporter. I am sure with little search you can find it. It's not like I have a secret source. I forgot her name.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...ffice-boris-johnson-jeremy-hunt-a8995291.html

This is one of articles I read; initially it was some other one.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2019

Share This

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use it, you are agreeing to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice