Politics The Politics thread

Discussion in 'Gravel Trap' started by Jen, Jul 14, 2011.

1. cider_and_toast

cider_and_toast Exulted Lord High Moderator of the Apex Staff Member Premium Contributor

Featured Threads:
    I see a poll published today, on the same day Boris started his campaign predicts that Boris is the only person who can deliver a Tory majority.

Hmmmmm I wonder how many Boris Johnson supporters were polled to reach that conclusion?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to remove all adverts.
  3. Bill Boddy

Bill Boddy Professional layabout Premium Contributor

Watched the Conservative leadership election debate on TV tonight. I think that shambles would be a good way of describing it. Emily Maitlis never had control, she was supposed to be letting each candidate have equal time on every question but that simply did not happen.

As expected most of the time was spent on speeches mostly not on the subject; there was quite a lot of attacking Stewart probably because he did much better in the poll than expected. He is also dangerous as he was the only one who was realistic.

The leave document cannot be changed, neither can the backstop so why do four of them say that they are going to change at least one of them?

Assuming that they managed to get the EU to agree to make changes it is going to be late July before the new PM will be known which with a leaving date of October 31st, leaves 3 months at most but because of the summer break and party conferences it could be as little as one month.

Before we can leave the MPs will have a meaningful debate, they will be the same MPs who have voted against leaving without a deal before.

Almost certainly before that date Corbyn will call for a vote of no confidence, Rory Stewart has said that over a hundred conservative MPs have told him they would vote against leaving with no agreement in place.

Aside from Brexit they were just as unrealistic over just about everything else. Boris backed away a bit from his promise of raising the higher rate of tax going up by £30k, it is now an aim. Grove has a detailed plan for everything but strangely has not told anyone what is in these plans. The rest also have plans, they do not give details of these either.

I got a bit confused Boris and his letterbox Muslim women, was he saying that it was something that he wrote as a journalist so it doesn't count and he had a Turkish Muslim grandfather. I think that he may have been trying to lose votes there.

I was trying to save time so didn't point out that Stewart actually sounded like he was being realistic but didn't want to keep on about him all the time.

If that is the best that the Conservatives can rustle up then all I can say is God Save The Queen (and all who are under her rule).

Titch likes this.
  4. Titch

Titch Champion Elect Premium Contributor

Featured Threads:
    Fantasy F1 Profile:
    FF1 Profile
    God Save us all Bill Boddy . There’s no hope left.

5. Angel

Angel Pole Sitter Supporter

Featured Threads:
    Well we're going to get one of them. The question is will they do a better or worse job than Theresa May? I'd venture it wouldn't be easy to do a worse job given how things turned out for her.

6. Bill Boddy

Mrs May has been seen in Maidenhead heading for W H Smith.

7. Izumi

Izumi Points Scorer

News might not catch as much undivided attention as when she will be seen on her way to Brussels where she plan to announce as her parting gift to her ever loving colleagues, that she is revoking Article 50.

8. cider_and_toast

cider_and_toast Exulted Lord High Moderator of the Apex Staff Member Premium Contributor

Featured Threads:
    The only seemingly decent candidate is now out of the race having lost most of his support. Javid will be next to go which leaves Hunt, Gove and Johnson. If any one of them was knelt before me on fire, and I had a glass of water in my hand, I'd toast their health and enjoy a long cool drink.

Bill Boddy, gethinceri and Andyoak like this.
  9. Andyoak

Andyoak Race Winner

Inevitable self destruct mode then.
    They're all in cloud cuckoo land.
    There's no renegotiation on offer.
    They can only negotiate with Parliament... and none of them can agree what they want.
    The whole ****ing farago / Farage continues ever on.....

cider_and_toast likes this.
  10. F1Brits_90

F1Brits_90 Race Winner

Featured Threads:
    i did like Rory Stewart & as i heard good things through the hype but Jason manford on twitter (i know its weird) but had the same thought so researched as you have to now have to do in a post brexit BS era. & he posted the link so you could see whats hes voted for in parliament & some of its good but i did go abit off him im dont think he was much of a loss. as some was bit cruel or weird heres 4 just to be consise

voted against investigations into the Iraq war

voted against a right to remain for EU nationals already in living in the UK

voted against raising welfare benefits at least in line with prices

voted for mass surveillance of people’s communications and activities

& here's the link for you to research as well
    Voting record - Rory Stewart MP, Penrith and The Border - TheyWorkForYou

11. cider_and_toast

Featured Threads:
    Well no one suggested he wasn't a Tory.

12. F1Brits_90

F1Brits_90 Race Winner

Featured Threads:
    true, but out of the 4 id almost say hes the 1 im most disappointed in. because with the others boris, gove, hunt we all know they are a :censored: & no hiding that. but Rory was trying to keep up a pretence, trying pretend he's different & you research find out the same deceptive 2 faced :censored: as the other 3. which is almost worse

Last edited: Jun 19, 2019 at 21:19
  13. cider_and_toast

Featured Threads:
    Maybe.

It's more like agreeing with what he was saying about the future and no one thought to ask him about the past.

That wasn't really difficult when the others had racist remarks and class A drugs to answer.

14. Bill Boddy

Mrs May went into W H Smith, spoke to a salesperson who pointed across the store; Mrs May headed there.

15. Titch

Titch Champion Elect Premium Contributor

Featured Threads:
    Fantasy F1 Profile:
    FF1 Profile
    We’re all doomed.

16. Johnny Carwash

Johnny Carwash Champion Elect Contributor

Should have just given the PM job to Boris from the start. Jeremy Hunt has no chance of beating him.

17. cider_and_toast

Featured Threads:
    I guess it all depends on Tory members wanting a Hunt to run the country?

gethinceri likes this.
  18. Bill Boddy

Mrs May arrived at the section that she had asked for. It's the one where they have packs on how to do things, you know, "Do-it-yourself Divorce and Separation" for example. She picked out the one she was looking for, went to the till, paid for it, took it and the receipt then walked out of the store.

Titch and FB like this.
  19. Bill Boddy

How curious.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-48721211

Not on the front page of the BBC web site where it might be expected to be. Haa pressure been applied or are they just being cautious?

20. Brogan

Brogan Leg end Staff Member

Featured Threads:
    This is politics in the US in 2019.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-48737711

Trump threatened Time journalist with prison over Kim Jong Un letter - CNN

Detained migrant children got no toothbrush, no soap, no sleep

- The Washington Post

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/politics/trump-claims-database/

21. Ruslan

Ruslan Points Scorer

You missed this week’s rape allegations.

Share This

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use it, you are agreeing to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice