Politics The Politics thread

Discussion in 'Gravel Trap' started by Jen, Jul 14, 2011.

1. cider_and_toast

cider_and_toast Exulted Lord High Moderator of the Apex Staff Member Premium Contributor

Featured Threads:
    Some fake news

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-48559289

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to remove all adverts.
  3. F1Brits_90

F1Brits_90 Race Winner

Featured Threads:
    very interesting 2 yrs ago today was the disastrous General Election when she gambled 330 seats for 400 but got 312? & again show how impressive Theresa May was that she withstood 2 years of people predicting her demise & she never moved

4. FB

FB Not my cup of cake Valued Member

Featured Threads:
    Fantasy F1 Profile:
    FF1 Profile
    Fantasy F1 Team-mate:
    FF1 Team-mate
    Fantasy F1 Rival:
    FF1 Rival
    I the coalition hadn't introduced the fixed term parliament act May would have been out of a job 18 months ago and we would, very likely, have had 2 or 3 general elections in that time.

5. cider_and_toast

cider_and_toast Exulted Lord High Moderator of the Apex Staff Member Premium Contributor

Featured Threads:
    If it wasn't for Sinn Fein MPs not taking their seats as they refuse to take the oath of allegiance this Parliament would have been ended a while ago with a no confidence motion.

As it stands, the Tories currently have a majority of 2 with the DUP support.

There's no way they'll make it to 2022 even if Brexit magically sorts itself out in the next few months.

6. F1Brits_90

F1Brits_90 Race Winner

Featured Threads:
    all true but when people are predicting she be gone days after 2017 election or we would have a Christmas 2017 election to still be there in June 2019. that takes some stubbornness which is only thing i can praise her for

7. cider_and_toast

Featured Threads:
    Not really, only the politicians, and in particular her own party could bring her down. She just had to sit tight and know full well that the turkeys would never vote for Xmas.

The main bulk of people saying she'd be gone were the press and the ERG. Neither had anything like enough power to bring her down.

F1Brits_90 likes this.
  8. Bill Boddy

Bill Boddy Professional layabout Premium Contributor

To keep on putting the same motion to the House of Commons time after time and getting it turned down time after time is not entirely sane.

F1Brits_90 likes this.
  9. Dartman

Dartman Points Scorer

The EU wouldn't re negotiate, there was no other option, parliament had voted ruling out No Deal, the May proposal was only an interim measure, whilst the nitty gritty during that 2 years would be hammered out for the mid to long term future, to most sensible people her deal should have gone through. The Tory hard brexiteers voted it down and the rest were remainers who wouldn't vote for any brexit, she was in a rock and a hard place due to Cameron's political nieiveity,the difference Maggie or any other PM would have made would have been not to make the same decisions as Cameron and May wouldn't have been in any position except possibly still being a senior minister

Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
    Andyoak likes this.
  10. Greenlantern101

Greenlantern101 Super Hero And All Round Good Guy Contributor

Featured Threads:
    I think I will set up a countdown to October 31st. I'm genuinely exited by what will happen.

11. Greenlantern101

Featured Threads:
    Drops the Hunt C bomb (funny) then blames all men (not funny).

12. Bill Boddy

Should this be in the rant thread?

Boris Johnson wants to give higher tax payers up to £6,000 a year.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-48577579

Who will benefit most from this? People like Boris Johnson, Jacob Rees-Mogg, David Cameron, George "Ive got 47 top payong jobs Osborne et al.

Not a penny for the NHS of course.

Jimbob likes this.
  13. vintly

vintly Mostly bacon Premium Contributor

Featured Threads:
    Maybe we have a 'Well, what did you expect?' thread.

14. cider_and_toast

Featured Threads:
    The runners and riders have been confirmed in the Tory Leader Handicap Stakes.

They are under starters orders........

And they're off.

15. Titch

Titch Champion Elect Premium Contributor

Featured Threads:
    Fantasy F1 Profile:
    FF1 Profile
    I hope they all fall at the first hurdle.

Jimbob likes this.
  16. Bill Boddy

One has fallen before the first fence Titch , withdrawn before starters orders. Expect more withdraws after the first vote.

Titch likes this.
  17. FB

FB Not my cup of cake Valued Member

Featured Threads:
    Fantasy F1 Profile:
    FF1 Profile
    Fantasy F1 Team-mate:
    FF1 Team-mate
    Fantasy F1 Rival:
    FF1 Rival
    Any of them but Matt Hancock please, he is as thick as brick.

18. Greenlantern101

Featured Threads:
    Can we not put a wet flannel in charge. It would be more effective.

19. cider_and_toast

Featured Threads:
    It's possible but I guess it very much depends on the wet flannel's Brexit policy.

20. Johnny Carwash

Johnny Carwash Champion Elect Contributor

Rory Stewart comes across as sane and rational.He has no hope of winning.

Bill Boddy and Andyoak like this.
  21. Titch

Titch Champion Elect Premium Contributor

Featured Threads:
    Fantasy F1 Profile:
    FF1 Profile
    Rory Stewart is just over the border from me, so we see quite a lot of him on border news. He’s always struck me as very earnest and engaged in local politics, his side of the border of course, but he does seem to want to do a good job. I guess that makes him slightly odd.

Share This

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use it, you are agreeing to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice