Politics The Politics thread

Discussion in 'Gravel Trap' started by Jen, Jul 14, 2011.

1. gethinceri

gethinceri Daniil Kvyat Fan. Alfa Romeo Fan. Contributor

Featured Threads:
    No, of course they don't want one. May will resign, Conservatives will elect a replacement, the replacemant will lead until spring 2022.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to remove all adverts.
  3. Izumi

Izumi Points Scorer

I've understood that.

gethinceri likes this.
  4. cider_and_toast

cider_and_toast Exulted Lord High Moderator of the Apex Staff Member Premium Contributor

Featured Threads:
    It would seem the backlash in each region fell on the ruling party. Labour did less well in the North and the Tories less well in the south.

Didn't vote in line with my earlier post in the EU thread where I talked about my political disengagement. Besides which, for the second time in a row our ward had only a Tory or Labour candidate. I don't know how to find out in advance of the list closing, who will be standing but I swear to God if it was just the two parties again I will stand as an independent just to make things interesting for them. The Tory only took the seat by 80 votes so it would certainly force them to up their game.

5. F1Brits_90

F1Brits_90 Race Winner

Featured Threads:
    of course they wouldn't because they would take an absoulte hammering in the polls but it wouldve say it might help because conservatives are in self destruction mode. might be good to have a fresh voice

6. F1Brits_90

F1Brits_90 Race Winner

Featured Threads:
    Screenshot_20190503-204041.jpg

7. Angel

Angel Happy to be here. Contributor

Featured Threads:
    If the Tories and Labour got a kicking in the local elections can you imagine what is going to happen in the EU elections in a couple of weeks? I mean yes the Tories were hit hardest but Labour should have been picking up the seats they lost and in a majority of cases they didn't. That doesn't bode well for them either.

The Lib Dems think they're suddenly worth voting for again, bless them, they don't seem to realise that a lot of the votes they picked up were more than likely just protest votes against the other two main parties.

8. Greenlantern101

Greenlantern101 Super Hero And All Round Good Guy Contributor

Featured Threads:
    Happy to see the greens picking up votes just a shame they weren't contesting more seats they may of actually got control of a council or 2 which would of been interesting with what they could push through in their own county.

9. F1Brits_90

F1Brits_90 Race Winner

Featured Threads:
    because of course we are interested in how this might have effected if it was a general election. with it being such a important times in our history. so ive done some Maths & help of electoral calculus. com i worked out the percentage of councillors lost (or won) by each party & equated that to vote share in general election. for example

Tories lost 27% & 27% of 43.5 works out to 32.8%

Labour lost 4% & 4% of 41 works out to 39.4%

& they also gave likely hypothetical MP changes. its a computer so its unaware of seniority of these but it was talking about iain Duncan Smith, Amber Rudd, Grant Shapps, Stephen Crabb & Boris Johnson all losing their hypothetical seats. which wouldve been a bloodbath. to be fair looking at the 4 options i just think we are screwed each way

Theresa May Current government

Labour with minority.

Labour/Lib dems with only 5 seats better off

Worse the scottish getting their grips into parliament.

Screenshot_20190504-121246.jpg

Last edited: May 4, 2019
  10. cider_and_toast

cider_and_toast Exulted Lord High Moderator of the Apex Staff Member Premium Contributor

Featured Threads:
    The big problem with modelling anything from the local election results is that it doesn't include figures from the London area which didn't hold any council elections this time, or from Scotland and Wales which in the case of Scotland will depend on how the SNP vote holds up and for Wales how the Labour vote moves as this was always a strong Labour area.

11. olegg

olegg Race Winner

[​IMG]

gethinceri and Ruslan like this.
  12. gethinceri

gethinceri Daniil Kvyat Fan. Alfa Romeo Fan. Contributor

Featured Threads:
    The next pic is Her Majesty kicking him in the bollocks and chinning him as his head drops.

13. FB

FB Not my cup of cake Valued Member

Featured Threads:
    Fantasy F1 Profile:
    FF1 Profile
    Fantasy F1 Team-mate:
    FF1 Team-mate
    Fantasy F1 Rival:
    FF1 Rival
    We have an interesting by-election in Peterborough tomorrow. Strong chance The Brexit Party will win it's first seat in Parliament, about 8 weeks after it was created.

cider_and_toast likes this.
  14. cider_and_toast

Featured Threads:
    Glad there's a by-election in Peterborough as it means that enough people turned out to sign the petition to remove a convicted criminal as their MP.

15. Bill Boddy

Bill Boddy Professional layabout Premium Contributor

Favourite whom the bookies refused to take bets on has stumbles at the first fence.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-48532869

Fortunately for them but maybe not for us there is a long way still to go in this race. I do not know whether or not the BBC set this up or not The post election result interview with Farage was held in a public square which was totally empty apart from himself and the TV crew but the coverage of Corbyn was shot to the background of the Labour celebrations. I almost feel sorry for Farage, no, I can't lie, I laughed my socks off.

16. Bill Boddy

In the last few days there have been on-line postings by Brexit Party members that they have been signing up to join the Conservative Party; the idea is that they will vote for the furthest right candidate when it comes to the voting part of the upcoming election in the leadership race.

There was also something elsewhere saying that they will not be entitled to vote in this until they have been members for at least three months. This will be about six weeks after the voting takes place.

I do hope that both these are true.

17. cider_and_toast

Featured Threads:
    I'm fairly sure I read somewhere that the Tory party were terrified of their leadership vote being hijacked in the same way the Labour one allegedly was so they were taking steps to avoid a late surge of the "not one of us" types.

The Tory MPs have to whittle it down to what they consider to be the two most likely to win an election and enable them to keep their jobs and after that middle England put down their copies of the telegraph just long enough to pick one.

18. Bill Boddy

As far as I can remember cider_and_toast the majority of the Conservative membership is male and the average age is somewhere about 57 and strongly Leave.

On Question Time last night the second question was "Could it be right that 150 pensioners get to decide the next Prime Minister?".

Titch and cider_and_toast like this.
  19. FB

FB Not my cup of cake Valued Member

Featured Threads:
    Fantasy F1 Profile:
    FF1 Profile
    Fantasy F1 Team-mate:
    FF1 Team-mate
    Fantasy F1 Rival:
    FF1 Rival
    I was astonished at the by-election result, which just goes to show the democratic deficit we have in the UK. The Labour candidate won with 31% which means that over 2/3rds of those who voted didn't want her to represent them. What a ****ed up system.

20. cider_and_toast

Featured Threads:
    Some one re-tweeted a tweet that came up on my feed calling for volunteers to pick up part of a Peterborough telephone list on behalf of Labour and start ringing around for more votes. The main parties threw everything they had into this one.

I am now firmly behind the idea that on a national level we should have proportional representation. I would imagine that would also end the need for by-elections.

Bill Boddy and Andyoak like this.
  21. Bill Boddy

You took the words right out of my mouth cider_and_toast. Despite my dislike of the Brexit Party I think they deserve more than they got in electoral terms.

Share This

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use it, you are agreeing to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice