Politics The Politics thread

Discussion in 'Gravel Trap' started by Jen, Jul 14, 2011.

1. cider_and_toast

cider_and_toast Exulted Lord High Moderator of the Apex Staff Member Premium Contributor

Featured Threads:
    I'm obviously not in to the man's politics but can anyone honestly see this as being true?

Sounds like another high profile waste of time.

Alex Salmond charged with attempted rape

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to remove all adverts.
  3. Dartman

Dartman Points Scorer

There's a lot of charges on the sheet, taking into account lawyers arguments it would be unlikely that non of them will stick however a "not proven" verdict is always on the cards in Scotland, that means we can't prove it but we don't think you're innocent:whistle:

Bill Boddy likes this.
  4. RasputinLives

RasputinLives Not dead Contributor

Featured Threads:
    A breakdown of the current Britain/EU negotiation over the Irish backstop.

GB: We don't want this!
    EU: But you suggested it!
    GB: We don't want it.
    EU: OK what do you want?
    GB: Not this
    EU: OK what the alternative
    EU: OK....we're hearing you....tell us what you propose instead.
    EU: WHAT DO YOU WANT?????
    GB: NOT THIS!!!!!

5. Titch

Titch Champion Elect Premium Contributor

Featured Threads:
    Fantasy F1 Profile:
    FF1 Profile
    No deal is rushing towards us,

6. Bill Boddy

Bill Boddy Professional layabout Premium Contributor

I hve come across two anti-Amazon pieces in the past two or three weeks.

1) £63.4m - business rates paid by online retailer Amazon , which has sales of £8.77bn and owns about 95 buildings on the UK.

£100m - businessrates paid by clothingand home retailer Next which has UK sales of around £4bn.

2) Amazon have paid less in business taxes in the whole of the time they have been in the UK than Marks and Spencer in one year.

==============================================================================================

Is there any hope for the High Street?

7. siffert_fan

siffert_fan Too old to watch the Asian races live. Contributor

Featured Threads:
    China ‘preparing for World War III’

8. Titch

Titch Champion Elect Premium Contributor

Featured Threads:
    Fantasy F1 Profile:
    FF1 Profile
    Oh dear. More Trump paranoia, is he about to go to war with China now. Is Russia pro or anti China ?

9. RasputinLives

RasputinLives Not dead Contributor

Featured Threads:
    Some great news stories going off in last few days which shows we're obviously coming up on the annual US military budget review. The powers that be need to justify the spend in order to get all those lucrative arms contracts renewed so they need to scare us all crapless in the media for a bit.

cider_and_toast likes this.
  10. cider_and_toast

cider_and_toast Exulted Lord High Moderator of the Apex Staff Member Premium Contributor

Featured Threads:
    Nobody is preparing for world war three. We reached the stage a long time ago where a global war would result in the total destruction of the world. All these despots (East or west) just want to remain in power so they spin all this crap in the media. They all know a global thermo nuclear war is unwinnable and won't start one. After all, who wants to rule a pile of Ash from an underground bunker for the next 100 years.

11. FB

FB Not my cup of cake Valued Member

Featured Threads:
    Fantasy F1 Profile:
    FF1 Profile
    Fantasy F1 Team-mate:
    FF1 Team-mate
    Fantasy F1 Rival:
    FF1 Rival
    These two?

[​IMG]

12. cider_and_toast

Featured Threads:
    Oh yeah. Bugger.

:twisted::tumbleweed::twisted:

gethinceri and FB like this.
  13. F1Brits_90

F1Brits_90 Race Winner

Featured Threads:
    pretty damning stuff in local election. i voted for lib dems but then i usually do because in general election stuff i usually like more of their stuff compared to the others. but did in local because only ukip had there address. not voting for that & normally i voted for whoever lives closest in local but didnt have that option

IMG_20190503_105922.jpg

gethinceri likes this.
  14. Izumi

Izumi Rookie

What's the prognosis this will have impact - if any - on Brexit related decision by PM May or anyobody else in power for that matter?

Last edited: May 3, 2019
  15. Andyoak

Andyoak Race Winner

It'll encourage Corbyn to carry on taking part in talks with no intention to resolve anything. He wants the Conservatives to lose patience with May and boot her out so they have a General Election. In the likely event that Labour win there will be fresh talks with the EU but I doubt whether he will resolve the different opinions in Labour any better than May has with the Conservatives.

I'd advise against thinking anything going on now is about Brexit - it's about a General Election and obtaining power in the UK.

16. F1Brits_90

F1Brits_90 Race Winner

Featured Threads:
    local elections are different to general elections because MP's dont change but it can be a barometer for the full election whenever that maybe because I was only watching a thing from 1994 local elections where tories had similar disaster but that was 514 seats they lost & labour went on to win a landslide in 1997. but labour are too bad only 77 & 2 councils but I dont want to pre-empt the future but conseratives losing 25% of councillers & 16 councils. with lib dems more than doubling there people. you would have to assume that its likely labour/lib dem coaltion next time we go to the general polls. with lib dems not getting hung out to dry but tories this time. labour/lib dems might be a softer Brexit but currenly your guess is as good as ours

which I think should be if/when Theresa may leaves I know its unusual but these are unprecented times in peacetime UK

Izumi and Andyoak like this.
  17. Andyoak

Andyoak Race Winner

Historically, mid-term polls for local councils are always a good excuse to kick the ruling party in the nuts.
    However, the Conservatives have been kicked for slashing local budgets and ****ing up Brexit and everything else they've touched (it seems).

F1Brits_90 likes this.
  18. Izumi

Izumi Rookie

Little straightforward, but I get jest of it. Thanks.

19. Izumi

Izumi Rookie

Excellent explanation. Thanks for taking time to put it down.

20. gethinceri

gethinceri Daniil Kvyat Fan. Alfa Romeo Fan. Contributor

Featured Threads:
    There is currently no reason, absolutely NO REASON, why the Conservatives would call an election in advance of the next scheduled one in spring 2022.

21. Izumi

Izumi Rookie

Ms. May is on the record that she is planning to step down after Brexit is delivered. UK government in power doesn't has to call election once she leaves, however it is hard to comprehend how jockeying ministers for power would speak unison or find any time to negotiate next relationship with EU. Perhaps answer is, they do not want one.

Share This

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use it, you are agreeing to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice