Politics The Politics thread

Discussion in 'Gravel Trap' started by Jen, Jul 14, 2011.

1. Brogan

Brogan Leg end Staff Member

Featured Threads:
    I wouldn't consider that unusual for two reasons - a) partisan politics and b) the vote was on the deal she secured, not her ability to govern (which is about on a par with the last x prime ministers who have all been resoundingly useless).

Other than 'stop Brexit and stay in the EU' (which goes against the majority will who voted in the referendum - regardless of how ****ed up the campaigns were, the lies, etc.), what solutions do the rest have, or anyone commenting?

The EU has already made it clear that it's the deal that's on the table, or no deal.

Stopping the process now would likely result in riots.

Plus, as FB (?) posted, the EU has deliberately made the process as destructive as possible, to deter any other countries from thinking about leaving.
    Not sure that's a healthy basis for a union.

May should send Corbyn to renegotiate a new deal if he thinks he can do better.

Off you go ... come back in a few days once Tusk, Juncker, and the rest of the member states agree to your requests.
    Idiot.

Personally I would have just stated two years ago that the results of the referendum would not be implemented as it wasn't legally binding and is proof (along with the US general election results) that the general public are not qualified to vote on important decisions.

cider_and_toast likes this.
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to remove all adverts.
  3. cider_and_toast

cider_and_toast Exulted Lord High Moderator of the Apex Staff Member Premium Contributor

Featured Threads:
    Confidence vote done. Result went as expected.

Next bun fight begins.

Does that include voting in this shower of shit (of all sides) at General Elections?

LOL

4. Titch

Titch Champion Elect Premium Contributor

Featured Threads:
    Fantasy F1 Profile:
    FF1 Profile
    It would have been helpful, intelligent even, if two years ago, Theresa May had formed an all party Brexit committee. If they had all had their fingers in the pie, the opposition parties would not be voting against a deal now. It would be a very different deal as well I suspect, perhaps one that we poor souls, the general public, might get behind.

Greenlantern101 and gethinceri like this.
  5. Titch

Featured Threads:
    Fantasy F1 Profile:
    FF1 Profile
    Is Rees Mog an evil creep or what.

6. Brogan

Featured Threads:
    Any and all.

7. siffert_fan

siffert_fan Too old to watch the Asian races live. Contributor

Featured Threads:
  8. FB

FB Not my cup of cake Valued Member

Featured Threads:
    Fantasy F1 Profile:
    FF1 Profile
    Fantasy F1 Team-mate:
    FF1 Team-mate
    Fantasy F1 Rival:
    FF1 Rival
    If you say enough things eventually you get something right :thankyou:

9. gethinceri

gethinceri Daniil Kvyat Fan. Alfa Romeo Fan. Contributor

Featured Threads:
    image.jpeg

10. Brogan

Featured Threads:
    Regarding the wall, I'm not sure if it has been reported over in the UK but the Republicans and Trump we're never really bothered about it.

During the 2016 campaign some of Trump's team were concerned that he kept forgetting to talk about immigration, so they came up with a 3 word slogan to act as a memory trick - "build the wall".

It went over so well with Trump's base that the rest is history.

Olivier, cider_and_toast and Andyoak like this.
  11. Brogan

Featured Threads:
    Oh and if you want to know what Trump's base is ... Inside the GM plant where nooses and 'whites-only' signs intimidated workers - CNN

To clarify, this is 2018, not 1918.

Olivier, Titch and Andyoak like this.
  12. Titch

Featured Threads:
    Fantasy F1 Profile:
    FF1 Profile
    Hells teeth. We don’t want to trade with a country like that. With Trump at the helm it’s only going to get worse.
    Hollywood do a good job of selling America as a fully integrated country, don’t they.

13. siffert_fan

Featured Threads:
    Titch

So you take one example and blacken the reputations of 200+ million Americans???!!!!

Name one country that IS fully integrated.

14. Olivier

Olivier Race Winner

Featured Threads:
    That is ****ing appalling, pardon my French.

Locally, GM announced they are closing the Oshawa plan, east of Toronto. Many people will find themselves without a job and without prospects having worked at the factory all their life. After they were bailed out in ‘08, that’s what they do in return.

With the risk of sounding bitter. I’ve never owned a GM car. Not because of an ideology but because they are boxy, gas-guzzlers, plain ugly cars that age badly. After learning what their ethos is, I probably never will.

Brogan likes this.
  15. siffert_fan

Featured Threads:
    There have been numerous studies released in the last 6 months that show that hate crimes have risen dramatically since Trump took office. Nothing makes bigotry seem more acceptable than having a bigot in the highest office in the land.

We have owned only one American car--a Corvette. Virtually everything else we have owned has been German, Japanese or Italian because they are better made.

Olivier

Before getting too smug, read this: Canada's racism problem? It's even worse than America's.

Racism remains a universal problem, no matter how self-delusional some people may be about it.

16. Olivier

Olivier Race Winner

Featured Threads:
    I know Canada has problems with aboriginals and Being of mixed race I myself am well aware of racism in Canada. It lies beneath the surface, almost like a bass sound that you can’t quite hear but you know it’s there. I myself have experienced racism both sides of the border. In Canada at a restaurant where the hosts was not quite happy to serve non-white patrons. In the US at a hotel waiting for a relative by a guest that couldn’t understand non-whites could have access to places that in “better times” wouldn’t allow a non-white anywhere near. However I have lived and worked in Canada the better part of my childhood and my adulthood and I have never ever come across anything like what the article posted by Brogan describes. Neither at school nor at work. Every person has their own experiences and I can’t speak for everyone’s, just my own.

Andyoak and Brogan like this.
  17. Brogan

Featured Threads:
    This article sums up how much Trump is affected by the media, ratings, screen time, etc. Trump boxed in by right-wing media as government shutdown drags on - CNN

He was about to sign the bill to fund the government last year when the rabid right wing radio and TV pundits started ranting and raving that he would be going against his base, blah blah, which is why he didn't sign the bill and why we are where we are now.

That exact same bill has since been passed again by the house, now run by the Democrats, but McConnell won't present it for debate.
    The shutdown was 100% caused by Trump but now McConnell is just as responsible for continuing it.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Trump declare war against a country within the next 2 years - that's always a go-to for leaders with difficult domestic situations.

gethinceri likes this.
  18. siffert_fan

Featured Threads:
    Olivier

My wife is part Aborigine and it shows (which makes her even more beautiful to me). We lived most of our adult lives in the US (in fact, we moved to Victoria right after Trump was elected) and she was never subjected to the type of race hatred cited in the article. That is precisely the point. Taking one isolated incident, however reprehensible, and then implying that all Americans are like that, as Titch seemed to be doing, is the height of absurdity.

Brogan

The Republicans are doing everything they can to divert attention from the Meuller probe.

19. Titch

Featured Threads:
    Fantasy F1 Profile:
    FF1 Profile
    I do beg your pardon siffert_fan , I didn’t mean to offend you , or to be absurd.
    I was merely reacting to an act of institutionalised racism, which has to be condoned by whoever governs these things, otherwise the company wouldn’t get away with it.. I really hope we don’t trade with them.
    We lived in the States for three years, and I found all the Americans we met to be lovely people, I have no arguments with any of them. I don’t suppose any of them voted for Trump or champion racism in the workplace, I don’t suppose any of them would trade, or work for a company like that, and would fully understand why the rest of the world is thinking it might be a bad idea to tradie with Trumps America.
    And before you sneer again, yes I do realise that the rest of the world is thinking about not trading with the UK at the moment, and I understand why.
    But hey that’s me being absurd.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2019
  20. siffert_fan

Featured Threads:
    Revealed: the stark evidence of everyday racial bias in Britain

And the main reason countries don't want to trade with "Trump's America" has nopthing to due with racism, but with the fact that he is a nut job!

Last edited: Jan 18, 2019
  21. Bill Boddy

Bill Boddy Professional layabout Premium Contributor

Boris Johnson has a differing view of truth to me.

Reality Check: Did Johnson talk Turkey during Brexit campaign?

Just before the referendum vote Remain still had a lead, then Johnson and Farage went for the Turkey lie flat out. It was too late to be refuted and I believe that it was the thing that caused the final day swing to Leave; there is nothing like a racial lie to have an instant effect.

Share This

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use it, you are agreeing to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice