Politics The Politics thread

Discussion in 'Gravel Trap' started by Jen, Jul 14, 2011.

1. Bill Boddy

Bill Boddy Professional layabout Premium Contributor

I enjoyed watching Rees-Mogg wittering on about his great success built on having more back benchers than May. Apparently all her supporters have government posts so they can't be counted. Wake up, Jacob and look at the numbers and also mull over how you could not get 47 MPs to follow your example (and don't forget to wipe the egg off before you leave the house).

cider_and_toast likes this.
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to remove all adverts.
  3. cider_and_toast

cider_and_toast Exulted Lord High Moderator of the Apex Staff Member Premium Contributor

Featured Threads:
    Jeremy Corbyn described the Maybot as a Stupid Woman. Am I the only one finding the whole uproar amusing? It's not like there are other, more important matters at hand are there?

4. RasputinLives

RasputinLives Happy to be me again Contributor

Featured Threads:
    Just makes me think of Allo Allo.

5. cider_and_toast

cider_and_toast Exulted Lord High Moderator of the Apex Staff Member Premium Contributor

Featured Threads:
    I love the fact that the uproar is not about the fact he called her stupid but that he identified her as a woman.

If he'd muttered "don't be so stupid" nothing more would have been said.

It's also ironic given she took pride in being described as a "bloody difficult woman"

#confused :thinking:

6. Greenlantern101

Greenlantern101 Super Hero And All Round Good Guy Contributor

Featured Threads:
    He seemed to be stating fact. I don't see the issue.

7. cider_and_toast

Featured Threads:
    It's almost as if the Tories and Tory supporting newspapers are jumping on this to divert attention from other issues.

8. Dartman

Dartman Points Scorer

It's all about House of Commons protocol, he cannot say she is stupid woman, he can say "I believe the honourable lady is stupid" if addressing her, similarly one cannot call a member a liar, though one can state "the honourable lady/gentleman is being economical with the truth". we know they are all like pigs at a trough and lie like a hairy egg, however in the House there are certain rules, and dear Mr Corbyn overstepped the rules and after doing so was extremely economical with the truth:whistle:LOL

9. cider_and_toast

Featured Threads:
    And the funny thing on top of all that is, that in using parliamentary privilege, you can call someone a murderer or breach the official secrets act without fear of prosecution.

It's a funny place.

10. cider_and_toast

Featured Threads:
    ROFL

11. Dartman

Dartman Points Scorer

cider_and_toast I believe that treason being an indictable offence is not covered by Parliamentary Privilege, That would contravene the Official Secrets Act, but a funny one as you cannot commit treason by making a statement in parliament though you could contravene the OSA by making a statement that is covered by the OSA. Parliament being a bit odd in it's privileges can issue a D notice forbidding the disclosure of statement, so actually we shouldn't know about the statement or at least what it contained:crazy:

12. cider_and_toast

Featured Threads:
    Well according to what I've read parliamentary privilege trump's the OSA.

How bizarre.

13. FB

FB Not my cup of cake Valued Member

Featured Threads:
    Fantasy F1 Profile:
    FF1 Profile
    Fantasy F1 Team-mate:
    FF1 Team-mate
    Fantasy F1 Rival:
    FF1 Rival
    There was a politician who once, in the house, called someone a bastard. I want it to be Jeremy Thorpe but I can't reference it. Anyway, there was uproar and shouts of "withdraw". Someone else got up and said that it parts of Yorkshire calling someone a bastard was term of affection to which the reply came "In that case I withdraw the comment".

Back to PMQ's this week, what a sad reflection of out political system. And the ring master, John Burkow, is front and center as one of the major problems of how The Commons works.

14. cider_and_toast

Featured Threads:
    That's why Labour were more than happy to have him in the chair as speaker.

15. cider_and_toast

Featured Threads:
    PMQ's is utterly pointless anyway.

We never learn anything. The leaders of the main parties have a clutch of pre-written putdowns that are about as funny as a mid 70's stand up comic. A few questions are seeded with the little people on the back benches to give them a chance to shine for a second and to puff up the government agenda. The minor parties get their 30 seconds of fame and that's about it.

It was even more comical before Blair changed parliamentary procedure, they could never ask the prime minister a direct question but could ask what his or her plans were and then follow that up with a supplementary question. This meant each MP had to ask two questions, the answer to the first of which was the same every time.

16. Bill Boddy

There are times when I despair. We are in the position where the most important question has to be sorted out by the end of March. Yet we have one person who, reluctantly, agreed to allow the Members of the House of Commons to have their say before the final decision is made yet they are allowed to decide on when this will happen and looks like prevents them having their say until it is too late for the vote to make any difference.

If there is any democracy about this then please explain it to me.

17. gethinceri

gethinceri Daniil Kvyat Fan. Contributor

Featured Threads:
    There was democracy, the demos (us) ****ed it up and now the complete maelstrom that is unfolding is our fault.
    Tough.

It's going to be shit.

Titch and cider_and_toast like this.
  18. Bill Boddy

Brexit 'in danger' unless MPs back deal - PM

May's NHS plan 'lacks funding and staffing'

Ramsgate 'not ready' for Brexit ferries

Vote on big universal credit rollout delayed

'No way' DUP will back Brexit deal

Just what we needed "Strong and stable government without holding another General Election" I seem to remember.

19. Titch

Titch Smile Premium Contributor

Featured Threads:
    Fantasy F1 Profile:
    FF1 Profile
    I’m scared

20. F1Brits_90

F1Brits_90 Race Winner

Featured Threads:
    so today going to be fun. as theresa may deal voted down. which she is sort of to blame but then if we had actually had a plan to in case we left before hand wouldve been great as currently.

as most of this transition as felt like we gone to any random showroom. said id like to buy a car.

what kind of car. - i dont know.

how much is your budget - i don't know

how you going to get it home - i dont know

you wouldnt buy the car then & there. you go home, do some research until you had answers to them questions. as Ken Clarke said abit ago in house of commons, shall we just delay brexit. until we have concrete ideas of what going to happen & we got 70% approval

21. cider_and_toast

Featured Threads:
    Me, later today:

:snacks:

F1Brits_90 likes this.

Share This

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use it, you are agreeing to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice