The pedantic, speeling and grammer thread's

Discussion in 'Gravel Trap' started by gethinceri, Feb 18, 2012.

1. teabagyokel

teabagyokel #dejavu Valued Member

Featured Threads:
    Egin? What does Egin mean?

Jos the Boss likes this.
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to remove all adverts.
  3. Jen

Jen Here be dragons. Contributor

Sorry Ninja, still not perfect. :)

4. Mephistopheles

Mephistopheles Banned Contributor

The whole rhyme is — I before E except after C or when sounded as A, as in neighbour or weigh

But yes it is a stupid rule as there are a multitude of exceptions to it and should be banned....

Fenderman likes this.
  5. Bill Boddy

Bill Boddy Professional layabout Premium Contributor

One exception is "their". However, this word means "belonging to them" so is perfectly logical.

6. Mephistopheles

Words that do follow the rule because they sound like A

beige, deign, feign, eight, feign, feint, freight, weight, veil, vein, rein, heir, neighbour

Words that don't follow the rule (Note some of these words have I before E even after C and they don't sound like A)

cleidoic, codeine, conscience, deify, deity, dreidel, eider, either, feisty, foreign, forfeit, gneiss, greige, greisen, heifer, heigh-ho, height, heinous, heist, leitmotiv, neigh,, neither, peignoir, prescient, science, seiche, seidel, seine, seismic, seize, sheik, society, sovereign, surfeit, teiid, weir, weird.

7. FB

FB Not my cup of cake Valued Member

Featured Threads:
    Fantasy F1 Profile:
    FF1 Profile
    Fantasy F1 Team-mate:
    FF1 Team-mate
    Fantasy F1 Rival:
    FF1 Rival
    English is about as logical as organic chemistry...

teabagyokel and Mephistopheles like this.
  8. gethinceri

gethinceri Daniil Kvyat Fan. Alfa Romeo Fan. Contributor

Featured Threads:
    I learned how to spell with the assistance of rhymes, acronyms and rules of thumb. Strangely, I also had to learn how to spell without them, just because i before e cannot be applied in every case doesn't mean that it's impossible to learn how to spell both those words which comply and those which do not.

McZiderRed likes this.
  9. Mephistopheles

But in spelling if a rule does not cover every instance then it is meaningless,,,,

10. Vortex

Vortex Race Winner

Mephistopheles and Brogan like this.
  11. Mephistopheles

And I only listed 37 of the 126 of them :(

Vortex likes this.
  12. Bill Boddy

Bill Boddy Professional layabout Premium Contributor

Similar things happen in other languages. In German two syllable nouns are feminine except for those which are obviously masculine, e.g. Lowe, Junge etc.

One of the things that makes English so rich is that words whish are either spelt the same or sound the same can have totally different meanings according to context, in other words multi usage.

I used to work at a joint venture company which was half British, half French. There was a mission statement in both languages, the French one was over a third longer than the one in English.

btw it was a great party tonight and the booze was flowing freely. I apologise if I am not totally clear. Sod it, no, I couldn't care less.

Mezzer, Jen and Mephistopheles like this.
  13. ExtremeNinja

ExtremeNinja Karting amateur Contributor

I wasn't aiming for perfect. I was aiming for legible. ;)

14. Jen

But this is the 'pedantic' thread - perfection is compulsory :snigger:

15. teabagyokel

Featured Threads:
    Actually, jenov2003, it is acceptable to be deliberately wrong for comic effect.

jenov2003, Fenderman and ExtremeNinja like this.
  16. Jen

You sure?

Fenderman and teabagyokel like this.
  17. teabagyokel

Featured Threads:
    jenov2003

Yes. For example, the thread title is deliberately incorrect.

ExtremeNinja likes this.
  18. Jen

Ah, I see what you mean teabagyokel - but that does open up the possibility of claiming comedy when actually one hasn't the faintest idea! :twisted:

Obviously not the case with the thread title (look who wrote it!), so that means one has to have previous knowledge of the poster and then make a judgement as to the intention - blimey. A linguistic "it weren't me guv!" 8-)

Fenderman likes this.
  19. Josh

Josh Champion Elect

Fantasy F1 Profile:
    FF1 Profile
    Its!!!

For a pedant that was a terrible mistake!

20. ExtremeNinja

ExtremeNinja Karting amateur Contributor

I get that one wrong all the time. I think the English language is wrong on this one but I think I might have to give way.

When I ask where Peter's house is, what am I abbreviating with the apostrophe that I am not when I ask what colour its front door is?

21. Josh

Josh Champion Elect

Fantasy F1 Profile:
    FF1 Profile
    I'm never really sure what you're abbreviating with your first example, is or his? His makes the most sense, but then again you can have: look at Jen's posts (or is that Jens?) which wouldn't make sense if it's his or her that's being abbreviated.

ExtremeNinja likes this.

Share This

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use it, you are agreeing to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice