The pedantic, speeling and grammer thread's

Discussion in 'Gravel Trap' started by gethinceri, Feb 18, 2012.

1. gethinceri

gethinceri Daniil Kvyat Fan. Contributor

Featured Threads:
    Do we need a spelling and grammar thread?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to remove all adverts.
  3. Slyboogy

Slyboogy World Champion Contributor

No need when you are around! LOL

Fenderman and gethinceri like this.
  4. Bill Boddy

Bill Boddy Professional layabout Premium Contributor

I like it when a drivers looses a race because his breaks fail. Especially when it could of happened all of a sudden to all of the drivers.

5. ExtremeNinja

ExtremeNinja Karting amateur Contributor

I must be bored. How's that?

Bill Boddy and Mephisto like this.
  6. Mephistopheles

Mephistopheles Banned Contributor

it wouldn't be "a drivers" and "loses" in the same sentence you need to drop the plural from "drivers" :goodday: .

Bill Boddy likes this.
  7. ExtremeNinja

There is a strikethrough on the 's'. You must be more vigilant in your marking. People's careers are at stake here.

Mezzer likes this.
  8. Brogan

Brogan Running Man Staff Member

Featured Threads:
    Done.

9. Road of Bones

Road of Bones MTC Mole Premium Contributor

Poor spelling and grammar is the sort of thing up with which I will not put!

LOL

teabagyokel likes this.
  10. FB

FB Not my cup of cake Valued Member

Featured Threads:
    Fantasy F1 Profile:
    FF1 Profile
    Fantasy F1 Team-mate:
    FF1 Team-mate
    Fantasy F1 Rival:
    FF1 Rival
    For all you spelling and grammar Nazi's this show must have been manor from heaven.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00kkgvt

I'm always confused about the levels of outrage around English usage, it's about being understood and the evolution of language. The risk we run is that we end up with a sterile, dying language like French which has a committee of "superior beings" who determine which words should and shouldn't be allowed in and what grammatical changes should take place.

By the way, I have no idea what a split infinitive is and, frankly, I don't care but if one of you can come up with a simple rule regarding the use of colons and semi-colons I'd be very grateful. Until then I will continue to pepper my posts with poor punctuation and spelling.

teabagyokel likes this.
  11. Brogan

Featured Threads:
    The most famous one is "to boldly go"; "to go" is the infinitive and it has been split by "boldly".
    It should be "to go boldly".

Colons are for lists, summaries, quotes, etc., semi-colons are for associated statements and lists including commas. You can effectively use a semi-colon instead of a full stop for a new sentence.

:D http://theoatmeal.com/comics/semicolon

Hope thats' of some use four you're education; any further questions: feel free too ask. Your welcome LOL

teabagyokel and ExtremeNinja like this.
  12. Jen

Jen Here be dragons. Contributor

Manna - a biblical term, I believe.

Mezzer likes this.
  13. Mezzer

Mezzer A fine chap if ever there was one. Contributor

Not saying this is right but it's my understanding ... Colons are used when an example of what is being discussed is about to be explained or detailed, often in a list. For example, "Teams I like: McLaren, Williams and Notts Forest (don't start!).". A semi-colon is used as a break, almost like a full-stop, in a sentence that is related but not joined by 'and' or 'but'. For example, "Drivers talk about driving; racers talk about racing.".

Bill Boddy likes this.
  14. sportsman

sportsman Sidecar racers have the biggest cojones Contributor

I suppose you could try punctuating this so that it makes sense.

"James while John had had had had had had had had had had had a better effect on the teacher"

ExtremeNinja likes this.
  15. FB

FB Not my cup of cake Valued Member

Featured Threads:
    Fantasy F1 Profile:
    FF1 Profile
    Fantasy F1 Team-mate:
    FF1 Team-mate
    Fantasy F1 Rival:
    FF1 Rival
    Grammatically incorrect but I bet everyone knew what I meant. And there, your Honour, the defence rests.

16. ExtremeNinja

Not so much a lack of punctuation but perhaps evidence of a necessity for a speech therapist to stop you stammering and a psychologist to help you understand why your stammer transcends into written word.

[edit] I get the feeling that the above sentence might be missing some punctuation.

[edit again] Your post is potentially correct. The fact that you have put it in quotation marks exempts it from grammatical rule in some circumstances. You could just be stating what somebody else said and doing it accurately. Perhaps the addition of a full stop would polish it off.

[last edit] :givemestrength: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_...ad_had_had_had_a_better_effect_on_the_teacher

17. Brogan

Featured Threads:
    ExtremeNinja likes this.
  18. sportsman

Thats' plain sneaky Brogan.

19. ExtremeNinja

Look whose talking. ;)

20. sportsman

:crazy::spank:

ExtremeNinja likes this.
  21. Jen

Jen Here be dragons. Contributor

Why is that?

Share This

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use it, you are agreeing to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice