The Olympics 2012

Quite enjoy the Olympics but will not be dragged, screaming and shouting, to watch some of the so-called sports.

It's only my opinion, and I've argued it often after a few beers, but any sport that declares the winner to be the one picked as best by a panel of wannabe/usedtobe judges is not for me.

Faster, Higher, Stronger really doesn't have anything to do with doing somersaults on a floor/beam or off a diving board, running around twirling ribbons, larking about in the water copying your mates or sitting on a horse getting it to dance the passa doble. Same goes for the winter equivalents on skates, snowboards or skis.

I do, absolutely, agree that all of these "Olympians" are dedicated to what they do and trained to the highest levels of fitness and technique.

However, so do the the chorus line of dancers in Riverdance or the Bolshoi ballet, or the members of Cirque du Soleil, or Billy Smart's.

The line between a sport and a circus act, or an entertainment performance, has been sadly blurred.

It obviously works as a way of focusing your mind and body.

I wonder if it will catch on with the other athletes at the games? I'm not sure the female shotputters would get the same tv attention though!

Edit:

Killjoy Brogan I need to find another sport to perve watch perve over!

Got to admit that I'm expecting the opening ceremony to be very difficult to watch. Live animals, what were they thinking?! Also, I think the whole countryside/farming theme seems to be playing to an old and unhelpful stereotype as far as how the rest of the world see us.

Apart from that, the G4S shambles and the idiots who are striking over the next few weeks, I am really looking forward to the Olympics. I've got a nice little collection of tickets (Swimming, Hockey, Handball, Football) and it's great that one of the world's biggest sporting events is being held in our country, it's a once in a life time opportunity!

Imagine if Bolt fails to get to the 100m final. Just one false start and he will be disqualified.

From Wiki
the IAAF implemented a further change in the 2010 season – a false starting athlete now receives immediate disqualification.[1] This proposal was met with objections when first raised in 2005, on the grounds that it would not leave any room for innocent mistakes. Justin Gatlin commented, "Just a flinch or a leg cramp could cost you a year's worth of work.".[2] The rule had a dramatic impact at the 2011 world championships, when current world record holder Usain Bolt was disqualified

Oh there is actual sport? I thought the whole event was to see which country could waste the most money for a 2 week period!

Back
Top Bottom