Music The Music Thread

I think its OK to mention Ian Curtis and the Joy Division. Especially today, on the 30th anniversary of his death.
To add, this amazing song and absolutely brilliant video by Anton Corbijn. (the man "responsible" for me being a filmmaker) 8-)

I was thinking of music of times gone by and then I remembered the differences between my brother and myself...

You may find a more disparate blend of music tastes, but then again, I doubt it!

In youth, my dear brother, ever the rebel searching for a cause, was heavily into punk. You could say I was as well, but only cos I couldn't help but hear it from his bedroom it was soooow loud!

One of the most objectionable bands that he liked (and I've never come across any more so!) was the Anti Nowhere League.

One of their less obscene songs was:

A more obscene song was called Woman. Click on the link if you wish to hear it. I'll leave up to you whether you wish to view/hear it.. (there may be kids watching!) ;) Also, you may like to divulge in the "wonderful" I hate People. There are plenty of more like it. I can't help but think that they were more concerned with upsetting people, rather than protesting against the establishment... or is there a difference..?

They also did a version of Ralph McTell's song, Streets of London, but here is the original.
Now this is more my style of music...

Thank god for different tastes in music... And bedrooms separated by corridors!

And in case you never realised how good a bass player John Entwhistle was, his bass track for the same song, only isolated.

Can I throw Rob Dougan into the mix?

His voice is a strange mixture of Chris Rea and Bob Dylan and his music is a curious blend of Portishead and film scores.

His album Furious Angels is worth a listen though. Here are a few tracks from it.

As an antidote to Bro's rather sombre choices here's a fun little band I came across by accident. Make sure you have the volume up on 11 Spinal Tappers before playing.

and everybodies favourite rock widow...

Just noticed Cancer Cowboy's Nine Inch Nail's selection. Here's an NIN song which won't make your ears bleed.

I was lucky enough to see JC in concert, what a man, what a performer, what a loss.

Just noticed McZ's post about the Anti Nowhere League.

One song he fails to mention is the classic "So What". A song which was seized by the Police under the obscene publications act. Strangely it was later covered as a B-Side by the band Metalica who were big ANL fans.

Streets of London was a double A-Side with "So What". I doubt very much if you can find a copy of it on line but be warned it's not one for the kids.

Other ANL classics include - Let's break the law, The ballad of JJ Decay and :censored: around the clock.

Classic stuff.

Then strangely they released an electro-synth album in the early 80's called "The Perfect Crime" where they dropped all the silly names, cut out the swearing and tried to make a straight forward record. It's a bit weird and dated but ok in an 80's sort of way.

cider_and_toast said:
Just noticed McZ's post about the Anti Nowhere League.

One song he fails to mention is the classic "So What".

I wondered if some-one would pick up on my omission. Can't think why I didn't mention it!
Perhaps I can make up for it by quoting some of the lyrics.
"So what, so what, so what you boring...."

Um, actually, perhaps I better not! :whistle:

The great thing about "So What" is how many people do you know at work or where ever that do drone on about their accomplishments. Makes you want to sing it to them every time.

"So What, So What, So What, So What you boring :censored: :censored: , Who cares, Who cares about you"

LOL

Thunder & Lightning...........wouldn't that be an apt description for Red Bull drivers Mark Webber & Sebastien Vettel before the events in Istanbul this past week............. :o :o

Nice one ML. "Two Tribes" - I remember I bought that as a 12" single.....

...and now for something slightly different. :D

Warning. This song carries an over 18 certificate.

Ahh, the great sounds of Rage Against the Machine................. 8-)
Here's a couple of more RATM hits................

Know Your Enemy

Bulls on Parade

Guerrilla Radio

No Shelter

Back
Top Bottom