Music The Music Thread

Did some-one say political songs?

This is by Alistair Hulett

And this by Billy Bragg

And because Politics isn't everything, this next one is one of my favourite Billy Bragg songs.

Billy Bragg :thumbsup:

Robert Wyatt - Ok all though I much prefer the Elvis Costello version

(by the way, if you want Elvis Costello's view on Maggie Thatcher, listen to Tramp the dirt down from the album Spike)

I do like a good political song even if sometimes I don't agree with all the politics.

:D

May we never forget, that peace is hard one
May we be ever vigilant
Ever watchful
Ever wise
So that one day, the sorrows may end

Forever.

The Pogues are also responsible for some of the sweetest songs ever...

And some of the greatest drinking songs...

"síocháin a bheith in éineacht leat"*

*courtesy of Google translate

As an off shoot from the political songs I do enjoy a good "Cold War" song. Growing up in the 80's and until the wall came down there was a constant fear of America and Russia getting bored and lobbing cans of instant sunshine at each other. What better way to remind the public of the dangers of full scale nuclear war than to write some songs about it.

Here are a few of my favourites from that era.

Best line: Will you smile like any father with your children on a Sunday hike, when you get to a sea of rubble and they ask "what was London like?"

Best line: In this sea side town that they forgot to bomb, come come come Nuclear war.

Best line: Who gets the job of pushing the knob? That some responsibility you draw straws for if you're mad enough.

Best line: When you hear the air attack warning you and your family must take cover

Best line: none - the silence at the end.

Of course, chances are I probably wouldn't be listening to the first three songs above had I not seen the movie Event Horizon and heard............

No, Don't laugh. They were a great band, this is a great song (maybe their best song) and it was from one of the best Rock films ever made.

:thumbsup:

Brogan said:
Does this count as a political song?

I guess it does! LOL

As a break from politics, and the planet Earth for that matter, lets let The Hitch-hiker's Guide 'guide' us through the Galaxy...

Great Song McZ :thumbsup: I actually purchased the album just because that was on it. Bit of a strange way to get into music by the Eagles.

That's got me thinking about famous theme tunes and stuff now.

Considering the grade-A beatdown Scott Dixon gave the rest of the Indycar field, this song sounds appropriate in terms of what one would say in return to anyone complaining about how dominant Dixon was today.......

And to think there are three more ovals to go before the Indycars' return to the road/street circuits............ :o :o :o :o

Been a while....

How about a bit of culture?

Good film too!

Now this young lady has talent in spades!

and of course, for our space cadets....

Now, it would make sense to include Air on a G-String here, but how could I say no to this...

Then again, on the far side - these are from an album that's hard to beat, Introducing Joe's Garage

And a word from our sponsor....

Don't know if you guys are into this type of music, but I absolutely love NIN records and their electronic sound. Also, it's very impressive that Trent Reznor does ALL the music. The band is only for live performances.

Speaking as a filmmaker, the Closer music video is a brilliant piece of directing/editing/cinematography. 8-)

Sorry to keep harping back to the good ol' days, but...

Listen to the Music... good advice. ;)

And featuring the Legend, Michael McDonald, with a great piano solo...

Back
Top Bottom