The Good News Thread

Discussion in 'Gravel Trap' started by FB, Jul 3, 2013.

1. Angel

Angel Pole Sitter Supporter

Featured Threads:
    Oh bless you Titch, let's hope that was you using up the last of your bad luck in this year and that 2019 will be much better for you and your husband.

If you had to fall over that is the place to do it I guess. Look after yourself.

Titch likes this.
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to remove all adverts.
  3. Titch

Titch Champion Elect Premium Contributor

Featured Threads:
    Fantasy F1 Profile:
    FF1 Profile
    No gethinceri I can’t say it’s an improvement. I have black eyes today. ,
    !

gethinceri likes this.
  4. Bill Boddy

Bill Boddy Professional layabout Premium Contributor

As an experienced tripper-upper you really need to get your arms forward and your head back. I have been complemented by onlookers with my technique, on one occasion my catching my glasses as I went down was particularly praised. I don't know how to prevent these falls, any help would be gratefully accepted.

5. Dartman

Dartman Points Scorer

I've always found that I trip up when wearing worn walking shoes, or no back sandals it's something to do with the angle of attack the front of the shoe has with the uneven ground, OK a bit technical but with three trips, whether or not it results in a fall I check the shoes and normally find I should have bought new ones a month ago:thinking:

6. Angel

Featured Threads:
    Never walk along with both hands in your pockets or behind your back, you need them to help you when you fall I have found. Try not to tense up as you fall, I know that's easier said than done, but the more tense you are the more likely you are to damage yourself. Footwear does have a part to play, nice solid flat shoes should help but they don't always.

My mum slipped over last year (December 2017) on some ice, at 81 she was really very lucky not to break anything. All she did was rip the skin off her knuckles (really badly) and bruise her arm/shoulder. I saw it happen, she was holding a brolly which she never let go of, and a newspaper which again, she didn't let go of, though she probably should have. She got straight up again too, I was very scared for her, but proud too. Mind you her gran fell down some stairs at age 96, got up and walked away. We breed them tough in my family ;)

cider_and_toast likes this.
  7. gethinceri

gethinceri Daniil Kvyat Fan. Alfa Romeo Fan. Contributor

Featured Threads:
    I find walking in Havaianas close to lethal, particularly when climbing stairs. I once managed to trip a couple of stairs from the top in Havaianas one morning, while carrying a tray with cups and a full pot of tea which managed to empty itself over my head as I tripped. Not funny.
    Oh, bicycles, too; best avoided.

8. Titch

Featured Threads:
    Fantasy F1 Profile:
    FF1 Profile
    Well as I’m still in and out of the hospital every day, I find myself walking round the place I fell over. I glare at it every day. But there’s nothing there to have caused me to trip. I also find I’m picking my feet up a bit more (Bill Boddy ). I’m afraid I dropped my handbag, and more importantly, the Starbucks can of coffee I was carrying, which is a shame, as I’m not visiting shops or any public places right now, I won’t get one for a while. I look like I’ve done a round with Mike Tyson. But on the bright side, the Nurses give me a free review every day. No appointments necessary.
    LOL

9. cider_and_toast

cider_and_toast Exulted Lord High Moderator of the Apex Staff Member Premium Contributor

Featured Threads:
    Well, in other good news, we've all made it through another year on Planet Earth.

Congratulations everyone.

Angel and Andyoak like this.
  10. Angel

Featured Threads:
    Happy 2019 everyone, let's hope this thread is made full use of this year! :cheers:

11. Titch

Featured Threads:
    Fantasy F1 Profile:
    FF1 Profile
    Happy Hogmanay everyone. The weather in 2019, so far, is very nice.

12. gethinceri

gethinceri Daniil Kvyat Fan. Alfa Romeo Fan. Contributor

Featured Threads:
    Yes, lovely weather here, made my 9am bike ride very enjoyable.
    Happy new year everyone!

13. FB

FB Not my cup of cake Valued Member

Featured Threads:
    Fantasy F1 Profile:
    FF1 Profile
    Fantasy F1 Team-mate:
    FF1 Team-mate
    Fantasy F1 Rival:
    FF1 Rival
    I've booked flights, accommodation and grandstand tickets for the Monaco e-Prix.

14. cider_and_toast

cider_and_toast Exulted Lord High Moderator of the Apex Staff Member Premium Contributor

Featured Threads:
    And what's the bets that all of that cost you less per person than a main stand weekend ticket for the F1 GP on its own?

15. FB

Featured Threads:
    Fantasy F1 Profile:
    FF1 Profile
    Fantasy F1 Team-mate:
    FF1 Team-mate
    Fantasy F1 Rival:
    FF1 Rival
    Grandstand tickets are €20 each, flights booked this far in advance were £150 for three and an apartment through Air BnB was about £300 for 3 nights. I doubt we could even get an entry ticket for that.

Titch, cider_and_toast and gethinceri like this.
  16. RasputinLives

RasputinLives Not dead Contributor

Featured Threads:
    Thought you were off to Berlin?

17. Angel

Featured Threads:
    Sounds like a great trip, let's hope it's a good race for you to enjoy.

18. FB

Featured Threads:
    Fantasy F1 Profile:
    FF1 Profile
    Fantasy F1 Team-mate:
    FF1 Team-mate
    Fantasy F1 Rival:
    FF1 Rival
    If the tickets were available RasputinLives then Berlin it would have been but I never got any info. Anyway, Monaco was an easier sell to the wife.

Bill Boddy, Dartman and RasputinLives like this.
  19. Bill Boddy

Bill Boddy Professional layabout Premium Contributor

Is she expecting to find a millionaire then?:no:

20. FB

Featured Threads:
    Fantasy F1 Profile:
    FF1 Profile
    Fantasy F1 Team-mate:
    FF1 Team-mate
    Fantasy F1 Rival:
    FF1 Rival
    I should be so lucky.

Bill Boddy likes this.
  21. Angel

Featured Threads:
    I just wanted to highlight how sometimes you can be surprised by a really sweet gesture by people.

I like a fruit loaf now and again. The supermarket own brand ones have lemon in them so I can't eat them as I have a problem with citrus fruits, however our local bakers don't add lemon to theirs. Anyway my daughter ordered a fruit loaf for me when she went in on Tuesday to be collected on Friday. When she went in yesterday they hadn't made one, but the owner of the bakery David was in there and he didn't like that they hadn't made it. So he said he'd personally make one and deliver it to our house. We thought he'd forget (he's a lovely man but a bit of a scatterbrain) but no, he made me a fruit loaf and personally brought it to our house about 4.30pm, he wouldn't let us pay either. I thought that was really sweet of him.

People can really make your day can't they? It's only a small thing but it really meant a lot to me :)

cider_and_toast, FB and gethinceri like this.

Share This

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use it, you are agreeing to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice