The Future Of F1

Analysis: The changes in store for F1's prize money · RaceFans

interesting reading about the fairer prize money spilt from 2021

Well, changing the prize money is a needed improvement but it is hardly going to be earthshaking. The top three teams have a budget of $400 - $700 million. So under this new structure Mercedes would be paid 48 million less. This is hardly going to result in the team living hand to mouth. What is really going to matter is the budget cap. Under a budget cap of $200 million (or whatever they decide), with $60 million or more in payouts and then the hundred of millions of sponsorship money, it is possible that most or all the teams could be making a profit. This fundamentally changes F1 and makes it extremely more attractive for new teams. Imagine making a profit racing.

Anyhow, the projected changes in prize money by team from 2019 to 2021:

Ferrari: - $84 million
Mercedes: - 48
Red Bull: - 39
McLaren: - 11
Renault: + 31
Haas: + 26
Williams: - 5
Racing Point: + 21
Alfa: + 16
Toro Rosso: + 12

Of course, all this will change depending on their results on the track in 2019 and 2020.

Again, this is not earthshaking. It does help some through. Under the old structure the lowest paid team received $52 million while the highest paid team received $205 (difference $153). Under the new structure, it goes from $55.4 compared to $129.4 or a difference of $74 million. But, Ferrari has always received special treatment, the dominant team is Mercedes. The difference in 2019 compared to 2021 between Mercedes and the poorest paid team is $125 million and under the new structure will be reduced to $74 million. This will reduce the money gap between Mercedes and the poorest team by $51 million.

Again, this is an improvement, but in itself it is hardly going to change the nature of the racing or the pecking order in F1. The real key is the budget cap.

true that its not a huge budget cut. but its a step in the right direction which why im 1 of few fans of liberty long term view. but the fact that high low prize money gap would drop 65% from around 140m to around 50m. is a huge bonus

Yes, but some progress has been made. The Ferrari and Mercedes teams will no longer get their additional biscuits as this was agreed by all as unacceptable.

In a separate deal, due to their special nature and legacy rewards, the engine manufacturers Ferrari and Mercedes will receive 2 additional biscuits. This was agreed as fair by all teams.

Oh crap, now I fancy some biscuits!!

I just want to know who will end up with those club shaped biscuits that always seem to be left over when you have a box of assorted biscuits? I am guessing Williams, if they're anything like their current car they will be last to the table ;)

2021 F1 concept looks like a Formula E

1c622d3879ed319da4504a18c55702b0-4-430x242.jpg

Two results of the meetings have leaked:

1. Car concepts are being tested in the Sauber wind tunnel to keep 80% of there downforce intact when closely following another car: See Details of ground effect 2021 car concept leaked

2. They are keeping DRS: See DRS could remain on F1 cars in 2021

Not sure I agree with either approach.
Agree with you.
DRS is total crap. It takes away the real essence of overtaking. I am a purist so Slipstream is irreplaceable to me.
Whoever introduced/invented DRS should be fried in hot cooking oil for 5 mins and throw into a pool of lemon juice ! >:(

Yes, but some progress has been made. The Ferrari and Mercedes teams will no longer get their additional biscuits as this was agreed by all as unacceptable.

In a separate deal, due to their special nature and legacy rewards, the engine manufacturers Ferrari and Mercedes will receive 2 additional biscuits. This was agreed as fair by all teams.
I am not entirely sure why ripping off Ferrari is a progress, but so be it. Claims are being made that "everybody" likes it. Ferrari surely can defend their own, and they do not need my help. More to the point, can we interpret all that scheming (Liberty with some - I am guessing - unnamed teams) as thinly veiled tactics to chase manufacturers out of F1 as team owners, and keep them merely as external suppliers of power plants such as Honda is?

Last edited:
I think this is great news. The ground effect floor is something I have been championing for years.

I would guess the retention of DRS is just a back up measure. If the ground effect is a success I can see DRS being dropped the year after.

I am not entirely sure why ripping off Ferrari is a progress, but so be it. Claims are being made that "everybody" likes it. Ferrari surely can defend their own, and they do not need my help. More to the point, can we interpret all that scheming (Liberty with some - I am guessing - unnamed teams) as thinly veiled tactics to chase manufacturers out of F1 as team owners, and keep them merely as external suppliers of power plants such as Honda is?

Dude it was a joke about biscuits

Agree with you.
DRS is total crap. It takes away the real essence of overtaking. I am a purist so Slipstream is irreplaceable to me.
Whoever introduced/invented DRS should be fried in hot cooking oil for 5 mins and throw into a pool of lemon juice ! >:(
Yea, I understand that DRS was a necessary evil, but one that should have been corrected long ago. I think it should be deleted at the earliest possible moment. Options are:

1. Delete it. This is sort of like Brexit or eliminating Obamacare....helps to have something else resolved and in place before you do that. It does seem that F1 (Ross Brawn) is planning that the re-designed cars for 2021 will make DRS no longer needed.
2. Replace it with push-to-pass. The advantage of the Indy Car push-to-pass system is that it can be used anywhere at anytime for passing or defense. It is certainly a more "strategic" option and gets rid of the DRS zones.
3. Get rid of wings. Simple, easy to understand, and solves all the problems.

Back
Top Bottom