The Future Of F1

Actually Izumi said in Post #83:
Is there a deadline when leave notice by a team has to be submitted? I think Mercedes, Ferrari, and Honda are all question mark whether they will continue under new agreement. Renault I think will stay.
...as opposed to suggesting they would leave (sounds so definite), and I think that's not what I meant.

As article states, this is only beginning. Just wait for end of the season and check again what kind of wheel you find there, and then you get really reason to get upset.
Long time ago I recall a camera shot on Senna relaxing momentarily his hand during a race, and exercising his stiff fingers. Stewart marveled over it how impressive that was; he can take hands off the wheel to do that, said impressed JS.

Senna obviously didn't see what drivers can do today. Driving with one hand, while fiddling with 25 thingies on his wheel.

And how many millions do you think it costs the teams to develop these driver aids? The manufacturers sell the power trains to the "lesser" teams, but NOT the aids that they develop. If the aids are needed to get the power trains to perform at their best, then the lesser teams can never hope to compete. Do you, for one instant, believe that a team like Williams can spend as much as Mercedes developing aids for the drivers? If not, how can they possibly compete?

Formula 1 poised to reveal final 2021 rules to teams this month

Two things stand out from this. Not the regulations but the implementation.

Time to draw a new line in the sand.

1) Don't let the teams vote on it. Tell them its happening. This is F1 after 2021, sign up or sod off.

2) Abolish the strategy group. From 2021, all teams get an equal say. End of.

And how many millions do you think it costs the teams to develop these driver aids? The manufacturers sell the power trains to the "lesser" teams, but NOT the aids that they develop. If the aids are needed to get the power trains to perform at their best, then the lesser teams can never hope to compete. Do you, for one instant, believe that a team like Williams can spend as much as Mercedes developing aids for the drivers? If not, how can they possibly compete?
I am too in favor of more simpler life. What Mercedes drivers have is however not against the rules (FiA is quiet for now). Normative technical guidelines should take care of similar issues, and if there are consensus among teams and FiA, re-write the book of rules.

Almost certainly I expect to receive some heat for what I am about to say, but I have no sympathy for Williams. There are other Tier 2 teams, and they do OK (Alfa). First of all, if Williams cannot afford to stay in F1, please leave. As a way of example, try to play golf in a club where 250k entry fee is a norm. Show up one day, and complain it is too expensive, and force them to lower entry fees. Then enjoy and watch what will follow.
I am quite liberal in some of my vies on life, however the notion everyone must receive the same reward rubs me wrong way. Robin Hood series never impressed me as way to live.

Last edited:
Agreed, Sport should have its winners and losers in competition.

However, the playing field should be such that everyone has an equal opportunity to succeed. Imagine your golf club where everyone pays the asking fee to join but one member gets half their fee back because they've played at least once a year since the club opened, another gets half their money back because they were a member for a few years when the club opened, went away for 30 years before lending someone their clubs for a few years, then finally rejoining. A third member gets half his money back because he's a rich business man who would make a lot of fuss if he didn't. So now, you tell me if you would still be happy to be a member of that club?

For past 100 years there never was equal playing field in this sport, so why start now? The only what was the same are sporting and technical rules. The thing is, some teams have done better job with interpretation of technical rules, then others. Money alone don't solve all problems. To make a less expensive racer over what they have now is to write different technical rules. From where I sit it is less expensive and more effective solution over imposing budget bar, firing some engineers, and hiring accountants and lawyers instead.

Yes but the difference is now that those with the money are making the rules. Which other sport governing body requires approval of its regulation changes by its team owners?

I agree. You have to play with cards your dealt absolutely no problem with that at all.

Let's use football as an example. In the English Premier League there are some of the richest clubs in the world. They have huge resources and global appeal.

They are also absolutely equal when it comes to regulation and how much of say they have in the running of the sport. As a result of this, while Man Utd, Man City and Arsenal to name a few, are always competing near the top, on any given Saturday they could be beaten by Cardiff, Huddersfield or Fulham.

Now imagine a world of Football where only the top six clubs in the league have any say in the way the sport is run. Before a ball is even kicked they are awarded a huge pot of cash for a trumped up reason, longevity, playing in red, sponsored by an energy drink or whatever?

Then those same teams get to vote on how the rules go so they choose to back ones that make their position stronger.

As a result football gets boring so people start to lose interest.

Sky then step in and panic so insist that the goals are made 20% bigger to increase the chances of a goal, then teams can put on a 12th player but only for a maximum of 10 minutes per game. Then teams are awarded an extra point for scoring the fastest goal of the day.

You get my point.

Do I want to see all teams equal? Of course not. F1, football, rugby or combat marbles will always have the big teams and the little ones.

What I do want to see is every team given an absolute equal opportunity to compete.

Personally I have doubts about the cost cap.

As I posted before, I would get rid of all arbitrary payments and abolish the strategy group. Remove the self interest of the teams and level things that way.

No one cares how long you've been in or who your sponsors are. You are only as good as your last championship.

I think I said this before but if you want to see an example of a sporting body managing egos, big money teams and still managing to enforce regulations that keep the sport competitive and entertaining then take a look at the NFL. It can be done.

Well, it looks like March 26 is the big day:

https://www.planetf1.com/news/f1-to-reveal-2021-vision-prior-to-bahrain-gp/

A few choice quotes (from Todt):
1. "....we have the cost control which is a new initiative and quite well advanced."
2. "We have the engine regulations, which have been sent to the teams a few days ago..."
3. "...and we have the chassis regulations...."
4. "...and we have the governance [plans]."
5. "....we...have the final package to discuss with the teams on March 26."

The Strategy Group has to approve the regulations. The last time I checked the Strategy Group had 18 votes, 6 held by FIA, 6 held by Ecclestone (now Liberty), and 6 held by 6 different teams. So, if FIA and Liberty agree it will pass regardless of how the teams vote. Is this still the case?

Agreed, Sport should have its winners and losers in competition.

However, the playing field should be such that everyone has an equal opportunity to succeed. Imagine your golf club where everyone pays the asking fee to join but one member gets half their fee back because they've played at least once a year since the club opened, another gets half their money back because they were a member for a few years when the club opened, went away for 30 years before lending someone their clubs for a few years, then finally rejoining. A third member gets half his money back because he's a rich business man who would make a lot of fuss if he didn't. So now, you tell me if you would still be happy to be a member of that club?
sounds like the golf club near my house, fee is outrageous and even if I had the Money, they ask for references from a long standing club member.

Is it technical possible to make tyres perform better, gain more grip, but without losing too much durability, when they get hotter(especially when they are closely following a car)? This way drivers can gain a improved grip/performance advantage by following a car closely to heat up the tyres. Can this improve overtaking?

The future of F1 -> FE

Watched FE in Hong Kong. Far more competitive and exciting !
You never know who will win and the cars are more equally matched. There's no such thing as MIDFIELD

Last edited:
Is it technical possible to make tyres perform better, gain more grip, but without losing too much durability, when they get hotter(especially when they are closely following a car)? This way drivers can gain a improved grip/performance advantage by following a car closely to heat up the tyres. Can this improve overtaking?

I don't know the answer to that question but anything that improves proper overtaking would be welcome as far as I'm concerned.

Welcome to the forum Anthony Yeung :wave:

The present tyres do that, the problem is that the teams set the car up to run at the optimum temperature, so they overheat and lose grip when they get hotter and closer.

I mean tyres that gives bonus extra grip, when they get warmer/hotter, without losing durability. To unlock this bonus by following cars closely, because of the extra heat.

Back
Top Bottom