soft at heart
less soft
squishy soft
sticky soft
fluffy soft
baby's bum soft
barely recognisable as a tyre
invisible

Governance: A simple and streamlined structure between the teams, the FIA and Formula 1.

What does this even mean and how impact of it is exhibited?
- Liberty says jump, and teams will ask how far or how high?
- Simplified structure means that Liberty takes over from FiA and dictates how car will be designed, and what regulations will state?

I wish someone would sit down and enlist in first stage all contradictions one can detect in those plans, especially regarding cheapish hybrids, and then have Liberty explained in specific terms how they reconcile of those noble goals.

Dreams to have new entrants to live through "Honda experience" is something special to look for, I guess.

Last edited:
Dirty air impact reduced by five times in F1 2021 concept

"There's a massive difference already," he said. "With the current car, two car lengths behind, you lose 50% of the performance. The car we have in the works now, you lose 10% of the performance. So it's a huge improvement over where we are today."

Just ban wings. Much simpler; and as you would then be able to slipstream, you could also get rid of the push to pass button.

Last edited:
but as ross brawn says we also would lose quite alot of downforce & the cars would probally 10/15secs slower

I perosnally wouldn't care if they were slower if we actually got some decent racing, seriously! I mean isn't that what it's supposed to be about? Plus it would affect all the cars equally so I don't see a problem with it myself. As an old friend of mine used to say YMMV

(Your Mileage Might Vary)

Couple of years ago Vettel in one race reached 365 Km/hr, and despite my undivided attention to his run, I haven't realize that data point until I was after race perusing FiA documentation. This merely reconfirmed that fast cars are fine, and we take it for granted, however beauty of it gets easily lost under normal race conditions. It is for that reason why racing in close proximity is more fun to watch, even if it is under slower speed.
I remember times when Alain Prost after start was little behind, yet one felt he will win the race. It was then possible for him. Reeling in, Murray Walker's voice is still ringing in my ears, faking left (well he said moving), no, I am going right, and he was through.

Why did we gave up on that style of racing?

Last edited:
but as ross brawn says we also would lose quite alot of downforce & the cars would probally 10/15secs slower
You know, if you remember F1 in the 1980s before they put in flat floors under the cars.....the cars went around the corners like they were on rails. They then instituted the flat bottoms to the car....and yes they were slower around the corners, and were slipping and sliding and a lot more exciting to watch. I was with some friends at the Long Beach GP and the moment they saw how the new cars behaved, you could see their excitement.

The point is....F1 has done this before. F1 has restricted aerodynamics for the sake of the racing. And the cars were slower, the racing better and the audience loved it. I have seen it. If anyone else has a different experience, speak up.

i agree on the closer racing as i dont mind admitting i prefer formula 2 to formula 1 recently. but i still feel that F1 has to be the fastest category & if we get to the point where some F1 cars are only lapping just second or 2 quicker than a F2 or Indycar. then we have a big problem because F1 big selling point of being at the top of the pyramid vanishes & F1 needs that prestige

i agree on the closer racing as i dont mind admitting i prefer formula 2 to formula 1 recently. but i still feel that F1 has to be the fastest category & if we get to the point where some F1 cars are only lapping just second or 2 quicker than a F2 or Indycar. then we have a big problem because F1 big selling point of being at the top of the pyramid vanishes & F1 needs that prestige

Well, I think even without wings.....it will be. Of course, FIA can always make sure that it is faster than F2, just impose the same aerodynamic rules on them. Indy Car is really no longer a competitor, as it is now a spec series. There have been times when Indy Cars were faster.

My first race (showing my age) and first touch with the F1 was in 1974 at Kyalami. Bought a new car that week, so I took it to the races. (Idiot, totally ignorant what will happen after we began departing race track grounds after race.) We sat 3 days and two nights on the side of the track and it was the EVENT. F1 stuck with me ever since. All magazines on the rack then imported from UK, then TV came in (SA was quite late with it), then visits at several track to see live races... Those times are gone. At Kyalami I rooted for Mr. Lauda (fellow European), but it was of course disastrous race for him.
Problem I think is today that new generation of fans have access to the internet, see all kind of sensational stuff, reading all kind of half-truths (bad), they have become quite technical (very good), however not all of them experienced racing form of yesteryears, thus accent is on things today which really are not that important to the beauty of the sport. Sometimes I think a person who should be writing specs is not Whiting or Brawn, but people like Lauda, who lived and raced through period when racing was really little bit more fun. Power plant is whatever it is, but aero is completely scre** up.

Last edited:
So, 1 point for fastest lap seems to be approved.

Gimmick after gimmick. Bravo, Liberty. What's next? Marmelade on toast before start? Boys instead girls on the start grid?

Geniuses at the wheel of F1 want cheap engines, small budgets, but then they go and stress materials more and more, not caring what it will do to engineering guys and their demand for further (costly) testing to validate new reliability high bar.

Last edited:
Intriguing.
Red Bull founder Dietrich Mateschitz has said that it is possible that his team could pull out of Formula 1 in 2021 if the regulations do not suit them. It is likely that this could be a threat to try and make negotiations go their way but of course, the rumours could also be true. All of the big teams have things outside of Formula 1 so it is likely that this is a genuine option.
Bernie Ecclestone is aware of the fact that the big teams could pull out of Formula 1.

"Maybe Mercedes will be stuck into Formula E because they think Formula E is more in line with the way the car industry is going to go," he suggested to Motorsport.com.

"Red Bull don't need to be in it because they get so much publicity from all the other things they do. For them, if they stopped it's not going to damage them at all.

"People think Ferrari would never stop, but the Ferrari brand is so strong it would be difficult to damage Ferrari. They could easily do something else in motorsport."

I don't think we will see anyone pulling out in 2021. Of course, the three teams constantly whining about it are the three best funded teams.

Too many variables to be sure. Car market shrunk, corporations still make money, but how they spend it might be under very strict internal review. I am not saying they will pull out, but if their presence will not make sense to mother ship, then they will move out. Mercedes vs Ferrari vs Porche vs BMW in E series makes probably more sense from promotional point of view, over Mercedes vs Williams in F1 series. Knowing who is your competition is one of those things they teach in business (I am guessing).

Mercedes winning all since 2014 is making people nauseated, and Wolff knows that too. Marquee needs break from F1, because another string of wins will bring out nothing but really bad feelings and foul language. It's not good for series especially if series appeared slanted and favored for one team too long. Normative references since 2014 leave very little doubt who was supposed to win, but by now enough is enough.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom