The food thread

Discussion in 'Gravel Trap' started by Jen, Jul 26, 2010.

1. Greenlantern101

Greenlantern101 Super Hero And All Round Good Guy Contributor

Featured Threads:
    LOL Brogan well I liked it. :)

The big appeal for me was the strong garlic taste and I can't get that else where without wheat being in the sausage. (allergic to wheat). Like you said Sucuk is ground up animal and spices, no wheat.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2015
    cider_and_toast and Brogan like this.
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to remove all adverts.
  3. Titch

Titch Champion Elect Premium Contributor

Featured Threads:
    Fantasy F1 Profile:
    FF1 Profile
    What about continental garlic sausage, does that have wheat in it?

4. Greenlantern101

Featured Threads:
    If you mean this sort of thing then yes it does.

Tesco Garlic Sausage 125G - Groceries - Tesco Groceries

5. Incubus

Incubus Champion Elect

Featured Threads:
    What's continental about these though?

That sort of stuff with added water usually tastes like dog food. You have to be wary of anything that says "continental" anything on its label. It usually mean it's some god-awful crap made up of factory rejects that end up on a slice of something. Much better go for something that is actually chorizo, saucission, calzione or suchlike. If it just says "continental" or is something generic it's probably dreadful ultra-processed crap.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2015
    Greenlantern101 likes this.
  6. Titch

Featured Threads:
    Fantasy F1 Profile:
    FF1 Profile
    What I meant was stuff that comes from the European continent, I was specifically thinking real German garlic sausage, which may or may not have wheat in it.? It tasted good though.

7. Greenlantern101

Featured Threads:
    Since developing allergies I now have to read every packet I buy. It staggers me just how many ingredients are in some stuff.

8. Titch

Featured Threads:
    Fantasy F1 Profile:
    FF1 Profile
    It staggers me just how much of it I can't understand. It's got to the stage now if something looks really nice, I won't look at the ingredient list because I know I wouldn't buy it.

9. Incubus

Incubus Champion Elect

Featured Threads:
    You can't even trust a simple apple. Their seeds, although safe when ingested whole contain minute amounts of cyanide which become active when bit into. Better not feed apple seeds to your dog.

10. Titch

Featured Threads:
    Fantasy F1 Profile:
    FF1 Profile
    That's interesting. If I save up lots of apple seeds, and grind them up in a crumble topping I can become the next mad serial murderer. No one will ever know.
    Oh, wait a minute.........
    :disappointed:

gethinceri likes this.
  11. Bill Boddy

Bill Boddy Professional layabout Premium Contributor

From one site it appears that you would have to get at least 0.5 cups of apple seeds, grind them up and swallow immediately; if you delay the swallowing the cyanide gas disperses quickly. Your body can handle small doses quite quickly as well.

Here is one site, other sites can also be used.

Are Apple Seeds Poisonous?

Titch likes this.
  12. Incubus

Incubus Champion Elect

Featured Threads:
    I've started giving some thoughts towards securing tickets for Le Mans this year. I haven't been for several years and I was looking forward to sampling some of the local specialities such as rillettes and andouillettes, I remembered I was quite partial to the latter.

Unfortunately I found myself googling them, and I now find myself a lot less keen now that I know what goes into them. Intestines and tripe and so on.

Just goes to show, when it comes to sausages you're really better off no knowing what goes in them...

13. Greenlantern101

Featured Threads:
    For god sake don't google haggis.

14. -WBF1-

-WBF1- Points Scorer Contributor

Fantasy F1 Profile:
    FF1 Profile
    Fantasy F1 Team-mate:
    FF1 Team-mate
    That is my dinner for tonight. The only worrying thing in there, as far as I'm concerned is the quantity of fat :)

15. Titch

Featured Threads:
    Fantasy F1 Profile:
    FF1 Profile
    Andouillette was once sampled by my husband. We were en route South through France, and stopped at a roadside truck stop. He decided that he had to have a real French speciality..
    Long story short, the Andouillette arrived, was cut into, the smell of pig poo was so shocking that those of us not eating it turned green. Hubby took a deep breath and ate a mouthful, turned very pale, and ate nothing else for 24 hours. He just kept saying that he could still taste it for hours.
    It was a countryside Andouillette, and not something from a Supermarket, maybe that makes a difference. But the intestine in the one we had was not cleaned out,

16. Incubus

Incubus Champion Elect

Featured Threads:
    When it comes to anything made with raw pork, chicken or offal, anything that smells like it's gone off... probably has.

Titch likes this.
  17. FB

FB Not my cup of cake Valued Member

Featured Threads:
    Fantasy F1 Profile:
    FF1 Profile
    Fantasy F1 Team-mate:
    FF1 Team-mate
    Fantasy F1 Rival:
    FF1 Rival
    Having eaten Schweinshaxe in Germany I once opted for the pigs trotter in a French restaurant expecting something similar. What a mistake, it was just a boiled pigs foot, bones and all, with some shitty sauce. I ate it just to save face but it was disgusting.

18. Greenlantern101

Featured Threads:
    I've just tried Dulse seaweed. Supposedly the solution to a growing world population. Only problem is it tastes like super salty fish with the texture of toilet paper.

I'll have the steak, thanks.

19. cider_and_toast

cider_and_toast Exulted Lord High Moderator of the Apex Staff Member Premium Contributor

Featured Threads:
    I had a meat and potato pie for tea tonight. It was very nice.

I've got a nice piece of rump steak in the fridge for tomorrow night.

20. Incubus

Incubus Champion Elect

Featured Threads:
    Greenlantern101 I think you're supposed to use it as a salt substitute, after very fine grinding. You' re not supposed to use as a meal?

21. Greenlantern101

Featured Threads:
    I might try adding it to fish cakes.

gethinceri likes this.

Share This

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use it, you are agreeing to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice