The food thread

Discussion in 'Gravel Trap' started by Jen, Jul 26, 2010.

1. Jen

Jen Here be dragons. Contributor

We all know that to stay healthy we have to eat. For some it is a chore, for others a delight.

I've noticed that several people on the forum are regular cooks and felt that a "special" thread may prove useful.

We could exchange recipes :)

Debate the never ending TV obsession with all things "foodie"

Explain what food means to us - could open up a whole can of worms (and I have a special recipe for that!) :D

Or just recount a memorable meal - whether it be for the gastronomic delight or just the ocassion 8-)

What do you think?

gethinceri and HammydiRestarules like this.
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to remove all adverts.
  3. Bullfrog

Bullfrog Rookie

I nearly did this the other day, great idea.

Not terribly gastronomic at the moment though, not enough time, hence the reliance on lasagne and my recent obsession with sausages (no sniggering!).

4. Brogan

Brogan Leg end Staff Member

Featured Threads:
    Great idea jen.

We cook fresh meals (almost) every night, except for once in a while when we treat ourselves to a takeaway or meal out at a restaurant.
    The only problem is, we consume so little salt that whenever we do get takeaway/eat out, we are both severely dehydrated due to the amount of salt.

We've got some great little Turkish recipes so when I get a chance I'll post them up.

5. cider_and_toast

cider_and_toast Everything in moderation Staff Member Premium Contributor

Featured Threads:
    Works for me.

I'm a massive "foody" as my waist line will attest.

One of the best meals I've ever had was in the rotating restaurant at the top of Calgary Tower in Calgary, Canada.

It was pan fried Sea Bass on crushed new potatoes with a butter sauce and served with ratatouille. It was exceptional to say the least.

We were there on our honeymoon last year and we'd only gone to the tower to stand on the glass floor and look out over the city. Below the viewing gallery is the restaurant. We originally popped in for a glass (ok, the bottle) of wine but then we couldn't resist the menu. It was a wonderful couple of hours in a superb setting.

gethinceri likes this.
  6. GeoffP

GeoffP Thank you and good night Contributor

I love this idea, unfortunately I am completely incapable of following recipes other than for bread.

My favourite is Corner cut of Aberdeen Angus roasted in an Aga, but I couldn't tell you how I do it, so I may be guilty of idea stealing, but rubbish at providing :(

However, if ever near Dartmoor your must try the tasting menu at Gidleigh Park!

7. MajorDanby

MajorDanby Motorsports' answer to Eric the Eel Contributor

Great idea,

To start off with the recipes, and seeing as it is the summer, here is a lovely simple marinade for chicken kebabs on the BBQ, I make up a batch almost every time me and the misses have a BBQ and they go down a treat.

Simply mix up some olive oil, 1 part lime juice to 3 parts olive oil, and add a bottle of ReggeRegge sauce to taste, leave to marinade for 2 hours. Make up your kebabs with some shallots, peppers and mushrooms and you're there.

So simple, and absolutely delicious.

As your probably aware, the key to any good marinade is the acid, in this from the lime juice, but any acid tends to do. Very important as it encourages the marinade to penetrate into the meat.

I recommend you try it :)

8. fat jez

fat jez Race Winner Valued Member

Thanks MD, sounds good to me. In fact, it sounds as though it would be worth doing any time, not just over a barbecue.

Here's one for you, which is my variation in chicken arabiata. All quantities to taste.

Fry an onion in some olive oil (or whatever oil you have, it doesn't matter). Once cooked, add some chicken, diced. When the chicken is cooked through, I add chopped tinned tomatoes, garlic, olives, red peppers, courgettes, mixed Italian herbs and some chilli powder for a kick. Simmer until it thickens - I find draining the chopped tomatoes helps before adding them. You can also add some tomato purée to make it more intense. This should be served over pasta, with garlic bread if you like.

9. Brogan

Brogan Leg end Staff Member

Featured Threads:
    I haven't got time to post any proper recipes but here's a dish I tried once in Dalaman, in Turkey.

A plate of extremely hot, finger length green chillies, raw.

I managed 4 of them :D

10. Jen

Glad that this thread has been received well.

I'm fairly ambivalent about eating, although this wasn't always the case - I live alone now and really do have to make myself eat. I do like food but I don't find it particularly rewarding to cook just for myself, so tend to take the easy option. However, I love to cook for guests and family and am reasonably good at it.

The most important thing for even the simplest meal is to buy the very best ingredients you can afford. There are some items that I buy which have to be organic, chicken, milk, eggs, carrots, broccoli, etc. - because they taste as they should do and aren't stuffed full of chemicals (have you noticed how some "fresh" produce never seems to go off - frightening!).

Like Bro, I use very little salt - I don't like the taste or the bloated feeling you're left with - but I do use a lot of herbs and spices.

Road of Bones likes this.
  11. Bullfrog

Bullfrog Rookie

I don't put salt in when I'm cooking because I know I'll probably put some on after it's on the plate. I'm a terrible auto-condimentor, a bad habit I picked up from my dad.

12. cider_and_toast

cider_and_toast Everything in moderation Staff Member Premium Contributor

Featured Threads:
    Yeah, I know where you're coming from Bullfrog. I have the same affliction. My wife usually reminds me when I'm about to do it but when she's not around I'm always going OTT with the pepper. Not so much with the salt fortunately for the old ticker.

13. fat jez

fat jez Race Winner Valued Member

The only time I'll add a bit of salt is to the water if I'm cooking pasta or rice and I probably wouldn't even notice if I didn't, I use that little.

14. Speshal

Speshal World Champion Valued Member

Featured Threads:
    I must be Mr Hi-Sodium then LOL I use it as and when necessary.

I also live on my own but I love cooking, I'll tend to have a cooking frenzy for 10 days of the month because everything I cook is either for 2 or 4 people so once I've cooked my supper I'll have plenty left over to freeze and i live on those for the rest of the month.

My new favourite is Lamb Tagine (as I got given a tagine for xmas) - delicious slow cooked lamb with spices and fruit and nuts.

I've bastardised this recipie - http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/moroc ... agine_6696

(I remember my mum cooking with the cookery book propped up on the side, I do the same now but with my laptop - got a keyboard cover for when I have gunk on my fingers)

15. Jen

A lovely fresh and summery dish.

This works with any white fish. I use cod or haddock (usually frozen fillets as they are fresher than any in the supermarkets), but pollock, coley or sea bass work well too.

Put a splodge of olive oil in the middle of a piece of foil, place some sliced small vine tomatoes on the oil, then the fish on top of the tomatoes, sprinkle the fish with a little black pepper and finally add a couple of dollops of slightly salted/unsalted butter. Wrap up the foil round the fish and make a secure envelop - cook in a medium oven for about 25 minutes if using frozen fish, 18-20 if using fresh.

Do each fillet/portion in a separate envelop and add a couple of minutes if cooking more than one parcel.

Serve with baby new potatoes (Jersey Royals are yummy) and steamed/lightly boiled vegetables - peas, brocolli, beans, asparagus - what ever is in season. Use the cooking juices and tomatoes as a sauce and spoon over

You can add other ingredients to taste - herbs, mushrooms or a mild chopped onion work.

16. Grizzly

Grizzly Bear Contributor

^^ I'm going to try that one..

OK, ill bite, here's 'my own' favorite bolognese type thing, its very simple even if my instructions are long winded, its throw some stuff in a pan, wait, throw some more stuff in etc etc, but does take 40 minutes to prepare, and you then need to leave it for about 60 - 90 mins simmering away to be perfect... i live by my myself Monday - Friday so ill sometimes do this Monday, and freeze the rest for later in the week, or have a couple of people over...

you need...

1 & 1/2 BIG onions.. or 3 small (finely chopped)
    500g fresh beef mince
    1 pack of unsmoked bacon (roughly chopped)
    2 cloves garlic (crushed)

Now dump this lot in a large pan with a desert spoon of olive oil and gently fry until mince is 'lightly' browned...

Next you need a good red wine, add a large glass full or even two small glasses, if you have company, go fill their glasses, if you don't, go get :censored: in the kitchen...

Reduce the wine to nothing. You will know when its done because the oil will begin to boil when you've removed all the water. Remove from the heat immediately because you will begin to fry everything too much.

Strain off excess oil.

That's all the hard work done. :thumbsup:

Now add two tins of chopped Plum Tomatoes and a small tin, or entire tube of Tomato Puree. Season to taste. A large handful of fresh/heaped desert spoon dried Basil, teaspoon of thyme & teaspoon Marjoram.

'Pause'

Those are the essential basics for stage two, now i like to vary each time on a couple of details. I will now add 1 small seeded and chopped chili, several spices that i fancy in HALF teaspoon quantities and some finely chopped seasonal veg. This is where i will 'allow' you to follow suite or do your own thing... :D

Return to heat and leave to simmer gently and reduce down... check on it and stir every 15-20 mins.

When you get to a thick consistency your nearly done, get some spaghetti/tagliatelle on the boil and add the final ingredients that do not want more than 5-10 minutes in the pan, namely: 200g Sun Dried Tomatoes and some Fresh Parsley. (drain off the oil if SD tomatoes are in it)

Done!

Serve a'top your pasta base with a good sprinkling of Parmesan and maybe a little Parsley or Basil to garnish.

This should serve 3-4 people

:thankyou:

HammydiRestarules likes this.
  17. Jen

OK - so what makes a food critic?

A fat guy (usually) who is careful with his money, fond of his food, has time on his hands and doesn't know if his home has a kitchen.

I would love to see a food programme where the 'critics' actually cook, let alone produce stunning dishes that they would give star rating to on TV.

18. HammydiRestarules

HammydiRestarules Di Resta fan :). Contributor

Jenov2003 - lovely idea for a thread will dig out my cheese and onion quiche recipe and write it down on here for you all to try. :).

Slyboogy likes this.
  19. Jen

Great, thanks Hammy!

20. gethinceri

gethinceri Daniil Kvyat Fan. Contributor

Featured Threads:
    I like pork pies.
    And fry ups.
    And curry.
    And offal of all types except tripe.
    Milk-based desserts make me retch on sight.

Slyboogy likes this.
  21. Road of Bones

Road of Bones MTC Mole Premium Contributor

A tip I learned from my dear old Grandma for doing Yorkshire Pudding - a teaspoon of vinegar added to the batter (flour, eggs, milk & a pinch of salt mixed to smoothness with no lumps), and a very hot oiled baking tin (or pyrex dish) to pour it into will get it to rise spectacularly every time. Some of my "Toads in the Hole" have threatened to overwhelm the oven...

jenov2003 likes this.

Share This

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use it, you are agreeing to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice