Politics The EU

Discussion in 'Gravel Trap' started by mjo, Oct 24, 2011.

1. Izumi

Izumi Points Scorer

Sorry, are you reffering to this?
    Implementing and delegated acts

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to remove all adverts.
  3. FB

FB Not my cup of cake Valued Member

Featured Threads:
    Fantasy F1 Profile:
    FF1 Profile
    Fantasy F1 Team-mate:
    FF1 Team-mate
    Fantasy F1 Rival:
    FF1 Rival
    Yes, that is the delegated acts I was referring to. It is as "democratic" as the Trilogue which is now used to create all the dodgy Directives and Regulations in the first place.

This means the civil servants in the EU can now grant themselves a power with some cursory oversight (The Trilogue) of the Parliament and the Member States, but no formal scrutiny. Once they have granted themselves these powers they can then amend and extend them at will with no oversight of any kind (Delegated Acts).

But don't worry "they will only use these powers for the benefit of the citizens of the EU", until Europe ends up back in the stoneage and diseases long since thought eradicated proliferate with gay abandon as all the chemicals and medicines used to control them have been regulated out of existence "for our own good".

4. Izumi

Izumi Points Scorer

Hmm, maybe, but I have boarded that ship already, and now all what I can, and want to do is to paddle as fast and as long as I can. It's that simple.

5. FB

Featured Threads:
    Fantasy F1 Profile:
    FF1 Profile
    Fantasy F1 Team-mate:
    FF1 Team-mate
    Fantasy F1 Rival:
    FF1 Rival
    I'm at a loss to understand your reply Izumi.

Are you suggesting that because these rules have been passed the electorate should just accept that we no longer have any say and should simply accept them? It is this sort of attitude which has led to dictatorships in fairly recent history and then significant conflict as a consequence.

It is not dissimilar to the Executive Powers which Donald Trump has been using to pass many unpleasant new laws in the US and I can't imagine you agree with the way that system works.

6. Izumi

Izumi Points Scorer

What I mean is, I am part of EU, and regardless all gloomy forecasts over future of institutions I came to love and respect, my trust is in people I've voted for, They are coming back soon for short break, and I want to study that issue more before I will ask about it. Right now my trust is intact they will do what's best for us, or what's possible to move forward.

Look, sometimes we don't get all what we want. We have 28 countries with different visions and needs, thus we are learning to work together. The incoming bunch in the front office seems far more intellectually advanced than departing crew. Not all decisions are based on logic, and there are some compromises probably involved we know nothing about. In conclusion, I do appreciate you have draw attention to it, but I am withholding my judgment over that issue, at least for now.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2019
  7. cider_and_toast

cider_and_toast Exulted Lord High Moderator of the Apex Staff Member Premium Contributor

Featured Threads:
    I feel to make the EU truly fair, all member states should have an equal number of MEPs.

It's hardly correct that if the largest 3 or 4 states gang together then remaining 20 or so countries MEPs combined couldn't out vote them.

Surely to make the voice of Europe truly one and represent all people equally, each country should have an equal say.

Why is the voice of the people of Malta be worth any less than the people of France for example?

8. FB

Featured Threads:
    Fantasy F1 Profile:
    FF1 Profile
    Fantasy F1 Team-mate:
    FF1 Team-mate
    Fantasy F1 Rival:
    FF1 Rival
    Let me know when you get your ballot paper though to elect the President of the Commission.

9. Izumi

Izumi Points Scorer

System is IMO fine as it is. A person I've voted for will cast her vote one way or another on my behalf. I can send her my litany over email, but why? She is a pragmatic and quietly competent person I trust, so I let her to decide how she will vote. There is over 700 other similar voices which will do the same. I know who Dr. Leyen is, since she is one of the longest serving members of German government. I am not that much certain, that everyone who can vote cares to vote, or would vote knowledgeably. Dr. Merkel actually voluntarily abstained from voting, since nominee is an old colleague in her government, and the other 27 heads of governments agreed unanimously on the nomination. As you know, nomination is only first step, and it is not guaranteed at all to pass parliamentary voting, but that's how it is works. There is preponderance of opinions all over, but at one point people whom we elected have to commence their work on our behalf.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2019
  10. Izumi

Izumi Points Scorer

They (sort off) addressed that issue as follows:

Glossary of summaries - EUR-Lex

I distinctly remember how on pages of this forum someone on British side complained, why large states should not be "pushed around" by smaller states, and they do need large representation to have their voice heard. So they are. Voting however splits along party lines, not nationality, so it is not homogenous block which emerges from one country. People are voted in based on party platform just like national elections. I am seriously in doubt that one person one vote (on everything important) is necessarily a good thing.
    There is a lot of good people I know who are not interested to learn about political platforms, they do not understand issues, but they do know who does, and voted for her just based on personal trust to represent us based on our needs, and wants together with some compromises needed to keep federation intact.

11. Dartman

Dartman Points Scorer

Izumi has now explained why the UK wants out, blind faith in intellectuals running an organisation with no opposition is not my idea of Utopia, a touch of common sense is required in any government, that seems to be lacking in the EU as a matter of policy. Having said that common sense seems to be lacking in the UK parliament due to personal ambitions.
    To quote a well known phrase from a well known comedy show " we are all doomed":rolleyes:

12. Izumi

Izumi Points Scorer

Problems in UK are problems for British people to resolve. As to claims that EU is lacking common sense, you need to be specific. There is a lot of misinformation disseminated by people with special interest. I am not sure if you can find some answers in this:
    Euromyth - Wikipedia

13. Brogan

Brogan Leg end Staff Member

Featured Threads:
    Oh the ****ing irony.

Hamberg and Dartman like this.
  14. Dartman

Dartman Points Scorer

Izumi your posts over a period of time indicate that you have tunnel vision and blind faith in the EU direction and its organisation, you also seem to put Angela Merkel is a similar vein to the virgin Mary, both are worshipped and both are above criticism.
    With such views it is no longer a debate but more a re-education process very similar to Soviet and Chinese communism rhetoric, the government can do no wrong, in this case the EU led and or pushed by Germany.

Andyoak and cider_and_toast like this.
  15. RasputinLives

RasputinLives Not dead Contributor

Featured Threads:
    I'm sure this is all true until they make a decision you don't like. I mean we've all seen how you react when officials make a decision you think is unfair.

Hamberg likes this.
  16. Izumi

Izumi Points Scorer

You would be surprised how often I was not in agreement with direction taken, but then, I am an adult, and I cannot have everything done as I wish. On balance +column outweighs negatives, thus I am not complaining.

17. RasputinLives

Featured Threads:
    But when you're not angry about Brexit you are angry about the perceived unfair treatement of Ferrari by the Motorsport governing body. Over the last few weeks you've spent considerable time angrily advocating that changes need to be made and that the organisation, it's members and even supporters of other teams are bias against Ferrari and colluding to hinder them. I believe you have called for changes to suit your needs and suggested the organisation would be far worse off without Ferrari's involvement and that maybe, just maybe, if the issues are not sorted that Ferrari should leave.

Now....I don't want to use the word Irony.....however......sounds an awful lot like Brexit to me.

Hamberg, Chasz and Dartman like this.
  18. Izumi

Izumi Points Scorer

Wrong. I am actually quite indifferent regarding outcome. I think I made it clear long time ago. True, I am not impressed by anti-EU rhetoric by some people with the microphone, but that is not as much for the reason stated (we want to leave), but for all false claims and half-truths stated as justification.

This is only half-truth. Yes, I am not impressed how this is developing, but I also included at least two links to articles what fans and Italian media think. You may have forgotten about it.

Maybe you can lead me to a place where I said it as described. I do however recall, that I am keen to learn how Ferrari will respond in the future.

19. RasputinLives

Featured Threads:
    Izumi in an angry tirade on here you described brexit as ruining your life. But yes you are indifferent

Dartman likes this.
  20. gethinceri

gethinceri Daniil Kvyat Fan. Alfa Romeo Fan. Contributor

Featured Threads:
    I'm pleased you've just reminded me of one of my favourite jokes RasputinLives

Hamberg likes this.
  21. Johnny Carwash

Johnny Carwash Champion Elect Contributor

Went through the same Passport control today in terminal 5 as my girlfriend.I used my British passport,she used her German passport.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2019

Share This

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use it, you are agreeing to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice