Politics The EU

Discussion in 'Gravel Trap' started by mjo, Oct 24, 2011.

1. sobriety

sobriety Pole Sitter

I dunno, I wasn't a massive fan of cocaine, it turns everyone who takes into an arsehole, you know it at the time, but you don't care. Give me hallucinogens anyday.

Andyoak likes this.
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to remove all adverts.
  3. Andyoak

Andyoak Race Winner

Is Brexit just a bad trip?

:D

Ruslan likes this.
  4. cider_and_toast

cider_and_toast Exulted Lord High Moderator of the Apex Staff Member Premium Contributor

Featured Threads:
    Just watched Michael Gove on the Marr show this morning. Didn't look good. Couldn't stand up to the questions regarding his drug taking and looked nervous as hell. I would suggest he's going to struggle to get back into the leadership race.

5. Bill Boddy

Bill Boddy Professional layabout Premium Contributor

Rather like a certain Mrs Leadsom who said that it's sensible not to hire male nannies because they might be paedophiles. She withdrew her statement when it seemed possible to lose the post of Leader of the Commons. Did anyone believe that she had changed her mind?

Andyoak and cider_and_toast like this.
  6. cider_and_toast

cider_and_toast Exulted Lord High Moderator of the Apex Staff Member Premium Contributor

Featured Threads:
    Ah yes, the same Mrs Leadsom who knows how to be a great Prime Minister because she's a mother. Mind you, she couldn't have done a worse job than the Maybot surely?

7. Titch

Titch Champion Elect Premium Contributor

Featured Threads:
    Fantasy F1 Profile:
    FF1 Profile
    All Mothers are barmy. I should know I am one. It’ s all part of Motherhood. Does that qualify me for PM.

8. Bill Boddy

No Titch, you can't do the lying.

Titch likes this.
  9. Izumi

Izumi Points Scorer

"Can't"? That word remains part of political discourse? Wonderfull. I thought it was banned long time ago. Case involving some claims painted on the bus merely added to (my) confusion where the guardrails are these days.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
  10. Izumi

Izumi Points Scorer

In second round of voting, is Johnson going to keep his 114 votes he got in the first round, or count goes back to zero?

11. cider_and_toast

Featured Threads:
    It goes back to zero and they all vote again until there are two candidates remaining.

The chances are that Johnson will retain his 114 and the MPs who voted for those three who were eliminated today will have to decide where there vote goes.

The remaining MPs in the running will now be frantically trying to do deals to add their support with others to make a bigger total. I fully expect to hear at least one speech in the next few days along the lines of "I have been persuaded that I do not have the support of enough of my colleagues therefore I am withdrawing and will back xxxxx who is the outstanding choice". What that normally means is that X has persuaded Y that of he merges his campaign they will have more support and Y can be chancellor or foreign secretary if X wins.

12. Izumi

Izumi Points Scorer

13. Bill Boddy

About the only hope that we have of sanity now is if Johnson continues with his aloof manner, refusing to have TV discussions with the other candidates and does a Theresa May, losing because of arrogance and assuming the vote is won before it takes place.

Neil Kinnock lost the 1992 election by doing this as well.

14. Angel

Angel Happy to be here. Contributor

Featured Threads:
    Spot on cider_and_toast Matt Hancock has withdrawn and I doubt he'll be the last to do so.

Sorry Bill Boddy Boris has agreed to a tv debate with the other contenders. See you say Neil Kinnock and all I can see is him on that beach when he slipped over that time.

15. Bill Boddy

Angel

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-39531021

Watch the first part of last night's Question Time, particularly from 9:45 to 10:15 for what the Welsh think of Boris Johnson; if that audience were choosing the next PM Boris wouldn't have got through the first round.

16. Angel

Featured Threads:
    Bill Boddy I never said I want Boris Johnson, I was just saying he's apparently doing one of the debates. I know he's one of those people lots of people either love or hate.

The only thing I can say is I don't want Michael Gove or Rory Stewart, any of the others would do as far as I'm concerned.

17. cider_and_toast

Featured Threads:
    I can't stand Gove but not sure what to make of Rory Stewart, what's your reasoning Angel??

18. Angel

Featured Threads:
    cider_and_toast with Rory Stewart it's mostly a gut feeling thing about him to be honest, I just don't like him but I can't exactly say why. We all find we can like and warm to some people and not others, he's one I can't warm to.

I will admit I also think he's wrong to say you have to completely remove the 'do deal' scenario on Brexit as well. I tend to think It's partly because no one believed that Theresa May would ever take that option that we're in the mess we currently are. You have to have a chance to say you'd walk away, if you don't have that it weakens your bargaining position a great deal. Yes it should be a last resort, but for me it just has to be there, ruling it out entirely to me is asking for trouble.

19. cider_and_toast

Featured Threads:
    OK, cool, understand regarding Stewart. Sometimes it does come down to a gut feeling.

As for no deal off the table. I do agree with Stewart's thoughts on this one though.

What he says is this, we reach a point where we say enough is enough and walk away without an agreement. We resort to WTO terms and start from scratch. That will be OK when negotiating with the rest of the world because with some countries we are on WTO terms inside or outside the EU anyway and others want to do a deal.

Sooner or later though, more likely sooner, we are going to have to go back to the EU for a trade deal. The EU will say, cool, let's talk numbers, about this 39 billion you refused to pay last time, and the border issue, and regulatory alignment and so on and so on. Only this time we are outside the tent trying to get in and it will be bloody freezing and lonely out there until we get those agreements in place.

The EU know that no deal isn't really the threat the hardliners think it is because sooner or later no deal has to become a deal. The question is, on whose terms.

Andyoak likes this.
  20. Izumi

Izumi Points Scorer

It's less than 39 B now. Closer the exit date is to 2020, that 39 B number is decreasing according formulae devised and agreed by both parties.

21. Titch

Titch Champion Elect Premium Contributor

Featured Threads:
    Fantasy F1 Profile:
    FF1 Profile
    I can’t stand Gove. Rory Stewart is a total unknown, I don’t get a bad feeling about him though, other than he could be as loopy as Boris Johnson. Not much left to choose from.

Share This

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use it, you are agreeing to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice