Politics The EU

Discussion in 'Gravel Trap' started by mjo, Oct 24, 2011.

1. cider_and_toast

cider_and_toast Exulted Lord High Moderator of the Apex Staff Member Premium Contributor

Featured Threads:
    Yeah agree with that.

I was paraphrasing an old statement about terrorism. Terrorists only have to get lucky once, the security services have to get lucky every time.

Hamberg likes this.
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to remove all adverts.
  3. Ruslan

Ruslan Rookie

You know, if you dismiss all conspiracy theories, you will be right 99% of the time.

F1Brits_90 likes this.
  4. F1Brits_90

F1Brits_90 Race Winner

Featured Threads:
    which is true vast majority of conspiracy theories are rubbish. mainly believed by those weird flat earthers. but their is a 0.1% of conspiracy theories that could hold water. the only theory i believe in is 1998 world cup final. that Brazilian FA threw the final to please French volatile polictal situation & in return they would host a world cup. & amazingly 10yrs later Brazil won the vote unopposed & how corrupt & rotten FIFA have proven to be. i can believe it

5. cider_and_toast

cider_and_toast Exulted Lord High Moderator of the Apex Staff Member Premium Contributor

Featured Threads:
    What French political situation??

6. Izumi

Izumi Rookie

Stop teasing, will you. What else I will do in my free time?

7. Izumi

Izumi Rookie

You forgot to add Euro currency has a week to live.

8. cider_and_toast

Featured Threads:
    Also, it had been 36 years before the 2014 World Cup when it was last held in South America so they were long overdue to hold one down there.

Finally, that French side was brilliant. They went on to win Euro 2000 or did their beaten finalists in that tournament throw that final?

Sorry F1Brits_90 but I don't buy that theory

9. Andyoak

Andyoak Race Winner

Izumi, with all that reading socio-economic theory and philosophy; and checking conspiracy theories...

I'm amazed you have any free time:)

10. Izumi

Izumi Rookie

I don't.

11. F1Brits_90

F1Brits_90 Race Winner

Featured Threads:
    it may be the same as all the others but what makes me wonder is that we all know how corrupt fifa were & bribery was rife. with all the FBI allegations. then there is that weird story with ronaldo

The mystery of Paris that refuses to go away

Screenshot_20190413-222610.jpg

12. Izumi

Izumi Rookie

The Conversation
    Brexit extended to October 31: why the EU chose a six-month reprieve for its awkward partner

Brexit extended to October 31: why the EU chose a six-month reprieve for its awkward partner
    Enclosed link provides access to best article yet l read on topic related to latest delay of UK exit from the Union. Unburdened by technical terms, for dilettantes it is comfortable reading. For some it may not provide anything new they didn't know already, but for rest of us clears any doubts we might have with tabloid style journalism. Conversation continues.

13. Splash

Splash Points Scorer

Give it a rest, mate.

RasputinLives and FB like this.
  14. Izumi

Izumi Rookie

That's a spirit. Lady wants to do something about opening a swimming pool, so she is running for a seat on the local council to have a voice. Notable is her age - 100. Well, maybe there is a hope for all of us as we learn human spirit doesn't always die with age. Good for her.
    German woman stands for town council — aged 100 | DW | 14.04.2019

Last edited: Apr 14, 2019
    F1Brits_90 likes this.
  15. RasputinLives

RasputinLives CTA Best Avatar Award Winner Contributor

Featured Threads:
    This reminds me of a story I heard from someone I work with. A few years back there were big plans to build a bypass in the Boston Lincolnshire area. There was a big protest from the locals about this and to prove a point loads of the group stood for the local council elections under the Green Party name. Much to their surprise they all got voted on giving them a huge majority on the council - only to find out that the local council had no say in the bypass because it was at parliamentary level! They unfortunately had not thought about policies for any other issues and the majority of them didn't agree with either each other or the Green Party on anything else. Chaos ensued.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2019
    Andyoak and cider_and_toast like this.
  16. Ruslan

Ruslan Rookie

Yea, if you think the professional politicians are bad, you oughta try the amateur ones.

gethinceri likes this.
  17. Izumi

Izumi Rookie

Politicians of any ilk can argue among themselves who is the clever one, that alone might not be a problem, however it becomes really worrisome for others on the outside, when they accept as one of their tenets national exceptionalism. I think we see increasing signs of this on both side of the pond. I think history teaches us that never ends well.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019
  18. Ruslan

Ruslan Rookie

So no one is posting here until October?

19. Izumi

Izumi Rookie

I would, but since I am most likely on everyone's black list, you seems to be the last one who choose not to do that yet. For Europeans, and indirectly also for Americans, this is IMHO one of most acute and far reaching issue of the year so far, yet all what I get is "Give it a rest, mate", despite clear signs that I am as far from being Australian as it probably gets. No mates on my location.

How people are preparing for EU elections, will PM May avoid going through election cycle, etc. Plenty topics to discuss with a glass of sherry and a cigar, and all of that without contamination by ill placed sarcasm.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2019
  20. Dartman

Dartman Points Scorer

The thing is Izumi we are British not continentals, we tend to get bored with things that have no resolve, there is no indication that the decision on Brexit will hasten our demise, health or effect our standard of living anymore than other decisions made by politicians. Unlike other European races we, except for a few minorities demonstrate or riot, we have better things to do and leave such actions to the less than 4% unemployed to jump up and down and demonstrate.
    We used to have general elections every 4 to 5 years but it seems to be increasing lately, this causes more disinterest as basically everything just trots along as before, the EU wants changes they think are required, we don't the status quo ( not the group) is OK with us, but if you want to do your thing then carry on, some will chip in when you go too far:snigger:

F1Brits_90, Andyoak and gethinceri like this.
  21. RasputinLives

RasputinLives CTA Best Avatar Award Winner Contributor

Featured Threads:
    I think everyone is just a bit dizzy from going round in circles.

The super secret CTA illuminati thread is kicking off though. Like 12 notifications a minute.

Dartman likes this.

Share This

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use it, you are agreeing to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice