Politics The EU

Discussion in 'Gravel Trap' started by mjo, Oct 24, 2011.

1. Izumi

Izumi Rookie

Lets leave the other points you raised for now, and deal with last one. We have someone on the forum from jurisprudence who should speak to this point more competently, however as dilettantes, can we speculate that Parole Board is reading tea-leaves (predicting future) very much on interpretation and interpolation of similar historical cases before they decide to let you go? Its never absolutely accurate, I grant you that, but in its totallity its prebably best, if not the only method we have to our disposal.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2019
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to remove all adverts.
  3. Ruslan

Ruslan Rookie

So the study of history has no value?

4. FB

FB Not my cup of cake Valued Member

Featured Threads:
    Fantasy F1 Profile:
    FF1 Profile
    Fantasy F1 Team-mate:
    FF1 Team-mate
    Fantasy F1 Rival:
    FF1 Rival
    Who controls the past controls the future. Who controls the present controls the past.

Andyoak and cider_and_toast like this.
  5. gethinceri

gethinceri Daniil Kvyat Fan. Alfa Romeo Fan. Contributor

Featured Threads:
    Who controls the Sky remote wins.
    Always.

Hamberg, FB and cider_and_toast like this.
  6. cider_and_toast

cider_and_toast Exulted Lord High Moderator of the Apex Staff Member Premium Contributor

Featured Threads:
    F1Brits_90 looking at your newspaper front pages, The Morning Star writing something positive about the death of Thatcher would be a bit like "Vegetarians Today" writing a glowing review of the Angus Steakhouse for the quality of their beef burgers.

F1Brits_90 likes this.
  7. cider_and_toast

cider_and_toast Exulted Lord High Moderator of the Apex Staff Member Premium Contributor

Featured Threads:
    History is written by the victors.

8. Izumi

Izumi Rookie

Precisely, which leads to a few regrets in my life (whatever is left of it). I might never know true reason for wars, or who killed JFK and why, what's the story with 9/11 and many others like were yankees really on the moon?

9. Izumi

Izumi Rookie

Study of history makes sense if you can identify causes for past failures, and use such knowledge not to repeat past errors again. There is very little point in beating head against the wall and expect different results trying the same again, and again...

10. Izumi

Izumi Rookie

Hmm, I thought it's unrestricted greed, and desire for dungle style power.

11. Andyoak

Andyoak Race Winner

I should have put "with any accuracy" but I was having a shit at the time :)

My personal feeling is that unless your knowledge of a persons history is put into the context of where they are now (and you'll never really know that place) then it's more second guessing than prediction. As for trying to apply it to the behavior of nations...

(PS: My mother was a probation officer; and my grandfather a police sergeant (who hated The Freemasons!!!))

12. Andyoak

Andyoak Race Winner

Izumi, I was playing with words...
    History is the past.
    Our present is the result of things (mostly out of our control) that happened in the past.

Please don't stress out about it; I'm often flippant but too lazy to throw in an emoji.

cider_and_toast likes this.
  13. F1Brits_90

F1Brits_90 Race Winner

Featured Threads:
    true reason for wars,
    oil & power

who killed JFK

Officially Lee Harvey Oswald, potentially the American Mafia

what's the story with 9/11

Al Quieda waging war against the west

were yankees really on the moon?

yes of course, any doesnt believe that is an idiot

14. cider_and_toast

Featured Threads:
    true reason for wars,
    Control

who killed JFK

Oliver Stone for making stuff up to fit the narrative he wished to portray on film rather than actual fact.

what's the story with 9/11

The terrorists got lucky

were yankees really on the moon?

Yes, any hint of fakery and the Russian's would have pulled the United States pants down and bared Yankee ass to the whole world.

15. Izumi

Izumi Rookie

People calm down. I didn't requested repeat of official versions. I was merely hoping to be told the truth, and noting but the truth. I didn't expect anyone in here could do that, nor I think I will learn it during my lifetime. Problem might be, that revered national icons, and people of prominence might suddenly fall of grace. Unanswered questions outnumber those we were told. Digging for truth is not always rewarded with satisfactory outcome. Despite my curiosity, I can live with some doors being locked, and I am not invited to enter.

16. Ruslan

Ruslan Rookie

Actually, Lee Harvey Oswald. None of the other "theories" survive under scrutiny. I mean they went so far as to dig the guy back up to only discover that it really was him.

On the other hand, it is a great example of how various "conspiracy theorists" can muddy things ups.

cider_and_toast likes this.
  17. F1Brits_90

F1Brits_90 Race Winner

Featured Threads:
    you make a great point on that.

18. Brogan

Brogan Leg end Staff Member

Featured Threads:
    It wasn't luck.

It was incompetence and arrogance by the U.S.

19. Izumi

Izumi Rookie

Cursory survey on the internet seeking answers to various incidents reveal, there is probably more articles about "crazy" conspirators, than those which would attempt to support official versions based on semi-decent explanation. Some academics got involved why people are inclined to see conspiracy everywhere.

Not too long ago, as one example, I've found 5 min video on tube (paraphrasing) "We are asked to believe", which described 9/11 in series of short and clear questions. I should be forgiven while I did try not to become convert and oppose official version of this unfortunate event, yet there were signs of deviation from norm vis a vis commission findings, and investigation. You do not have to hold any definite opinion, but quite a few questions from physical world remains mystery.
    Funny thing is, for last good half an hour I cannot find that clip anymore. Somebody must have taken it down for whatever reasons.
    From memory (as example)
    -About 150 people on ground zero testified they heard explosion (not investigated, is my understanding)
    - 3rd building which felt, supposedly housed CIA and secret service investigating missing funds, yet felt down - why?
    - Pentagon hit was alledgedly into a specific part of building where documents were stored about missing funds.

Those missing funds are mentioned quite often. I even heard about it in news recently. There are of course more questions what was or wasn't in the report, and how quickly some documentation on the investigation was destroyed.

To come back how this lighthearted discussion started, as anyone who got a sniff of training in critical thinking, curiosity is killing us. There are some questions which as of this day are probably destined to remain buried somewhere. You can disregard opinions of close to 2000 engineers and architects questioning physical event (building collapse), you can ignore difficulty flying commercial aircraft and hitting a building by a novice pilot (without being at proper certification level), you can disregard lack of timely response by military when unauthorized aircrafts were flying off course, but anyone can ask - WTH really happened?

Last edited: Apr 13, 2019
  20. Andyoak

Andyoak Race Winner

It's good to be sceptical; but not at the price of your sanity :)

21. Izumi

Izumi Rookie

Right, however I am not sure if insane people know (are aware off) they are insane.

Share This

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use it, you are agreeing to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice