Politics The EU

Discussion in 'Gravel Trap' started by mjo, Oct 24, 2011.

1. gethinceri

gethinceri Daniil Kvyat Fan. Contributor

Featured Threads:
    It's all going down the shitter because of liars and idiots.

Bill Boddy, Titch, Angel and 3 others like this.
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to remove all adverts.
  3. Andyoak

Andyoak Race Winner

On both sides of the channel...

Titch, Angel and cider_and_toast like this.
  4. Bill Boddy

Bill Boddy Professional layabout Premium Contributor

There are many anti-EU people whose main hope in life is that the UK leaving will bring down the EU. When I point out that it is more likely that the UK will be the one to suffer they pooh-pooh this talking of the great advantages freedom will give. However, the likelihood that it is more likely that we will be the ones to suffer; the IMF think just that.

No-deal Brexit would harm EU countries as well as UK, warns IMF

5. Titch

Titch Smile Premium Contributor

Featured Threads:
    Fantasy F1 Profile:
    FF1 Profile
    There was a news item today, suggesting that a no deal Brexit would lead to panic buying, and massive shortages of almost everything.
    Time to stack up on grow bags and seeds, and maybe a pig, a goat and a chicken or two. Not sure where to keep them.

6. Bill Boddy

I take it that this is not panic buying Titch :rolleyes:

7. Titch

Featured Threads:
    Fantasy F1 Profile:
    FF1 Profile
    No of course not Bill Boddy as if I would. AnywayI don't see too many people out there buying livestock.
    :whistle:

Greenlantern101 likes this.
  8. Greenlantern101

Greenlantern101 Super Hero And All Round Good Guy Contributor

Featured Threads:
    I'm thinking about getting chickens.

Titch likes this.
  9. Greenlantern101

Greenlantern101 Super Hero And All Round Good Guy Contributor

Featured Threads:
    I'm hoping Brexit goes horrifically badly. For .... you know ...reasons....

p.s. FREEDOM
    Screen Shot 2018-07-31 at 16.47.30.png

10. Angel

Angel Points Scorer Supporter

Featured Threads:
    The lovely people (I mean that) two doors down from us have chickens, and a cockerel. Bless him he's up before 4am every morning with his cheery cock a doodle doo. Some of the other neighbours hate him, but to be honest I like listening out for him, not at 4am though obviously.

11. Angel

Featured Threads:

A news item suggesting we all panic buy will lead to panic buying ;)

12. Titch

Featured Threads:
    Fantasy F1 Profile:
    FF1 Profile
    Yes Angellica . The media is creating the news.... again .... instead of reporting it. The BBC in particular.

13. cider_and_toast

cider_and_toast Everything in moderation Staff Member Premium Contributor

Featured Threads:
    Crisis? What Crisis?

14. cider_and_toast

cider_and_toast Everything in moderation Staff Member Premium Contributor

Featured Threads:
    Sadly, I think that utter omnishambles that is Brexit would be repeated on a slightly smaller scale if Scotland leaves the UK. The parallels are there for all to see.

I do think that Brexit will intensify the debate up your way and if it is as shambolic as it looks like it will be, it will be one hell of a stick for the nationalists to beat the drum with. The Northern Irish border question will certainly act as a dry run for managing EU / Scotland / UK relations in the event of an independence yes vote.

15. Angel

Featured Threads:
    Oh yes, the BBC are terrible for that kind of thing.

Titch likes this.
  16. Bill Boddy

We are now entering the final stages of the negotiation with the EU iver Brexit; well, that's what the politicians say and who am I to disbeleive them?

The DUP are getting more voluble and are making it clear that unless they get their way they will vote down the budget or anything else which looks important.

Chequers is still the system that the PM favours but at least 40 Conservative MPs have said that they will vote against it so Mrs May will need Labour to support it to get it passed.

Canada++++++++++++++++ seems to be favoured, either that or Norway according to who you are listening to amongst the Boris Johnson/Ree-Mogg grouping but they do not have enougn numbers to get it passed without Labour support.

The less said about the SNP the better, if we leave the EU they will want independence as they will if by some miracle we stay.

Labour want an election to get into power so have a vested interested in voting against unless what is put before them satisfies six points which no-one is quite sure what they are about.

All the Conservatives support Mrs May and there seem to be none who will commit to voting against her, in public anyway.

UKIP want us to leave without any further discussion as a hard Brexit will lead us to the Elysian Fields and instant deals with the US and all the Commonwealth countries as well as every other group except the EU with whom we will continue trading.

If you really want to know how strong and divided Northern Ireland is follow this link and then go down to "View Comments", this will disabuse you from holding the viewpoint that any give and take will happen and also that the Peace Process is likely to be kept whatever happens.

May cannot recommend Brexit deal says DUP

17. Angel

Featured Threads:
    I heard something the other day that I found interesting. If there was a second vote and it went with remain the EU would absolutely be happy for us to stay, no surprise there. The thing is it wouldn't be on the terms we're on now, the first thing we'd lose is our 66% rebate. So at this point it would cost us a staggering amount more to stay in, that is not something we should take lightly.

18. Dartman

Dartman Points Scorer

That's what I understand, we lose vetoes, rebate and will have to join the Schengen region as Norway is, in other words we will be completely owned by the EU unelected gauleiters. I did vote remain but at this stage we have to go, it was ok until Article 50 was invoked, then there was no way back at the old terms

19. gethinceri

Featured Threads:
    Exactly, and that's where ot went wrong, Article 50 was May's Rubicon.

20. Dartman

Dartman Points Scorer

Was the country so stupid that they didn't realise that referendum was about Article 50, May had no choice, you can't leave the EU without invoking Article 50 and all the implications.

21. gethinceri

Featured Threads:
    She could've had the nerve to not invoke Article 50 and negotiated before that.

Share This

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use it, you are agreeing to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice