Politics The EU

Discussion in 'Gravel Trap' started by mjo, Oct 24, 2011.

1. cider_and_toast

cider_and_toast Everything in moderation Staff Member Premium Contributor

Featured Threads:
    Agreed Andyoak. There's not enough likes for that statement.

The thing is, I'm sure the EU know all this as much as we do but it suits their position to watch the UK fall apart trying to work it all out.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to remove all adverts.
  3. Angel

Angel Points Scorer Supporter

Featured Threads:
    Oh I think the EU know exactly what they want to do, they want to punish us as much as they can for two main reasons.

1 Because they can and it's fun to do.
    2 They are scared stiff that if we get anything like a good deal out of this other countries will want to do the same thing we have.

So they're out to beat us with a stick to make an example of us. FB is right, they hold all the cards, no matter what our government end up agreeing to (after all the compromises), if they ever do, it means diddly squat because they're going to do things their way and we can either tak it or leave it. I am praying we tell them where to stuff if it that happens, if we don't I think we're in for way more problems than we ever have now!

4. Andyoak

Andyoak Race Winner

I do wonder if any of our side have even worked that out...
    Any sign that our "negotiating team" even thought about asking the EU what they will offer us?
    If the answer is "**** all Dave" (or whoever) then we should've just walked away.

5. Bill Boddy

Bill Boddy Professional layabout Premium Contributor

The EU have stated their starting point as FB has enumerated and have been waiting for our response. Until they received the White Paper, which had been promised for what felt like forever, they could not know what our situation was; now having been told that there have been changes in our approach following the votes in Parliament this week.

As usual the right wing of the Conservative Party has been blaming the EU for the delays when it is all their fault. Four hours of face to face by the Brexit Secretary in over two years really is insane.

Andyoak likes this.
  6. Andyoak

Andyoak Race Winner

I must admit that 18 months down the line I've sort of lost interest: It's all turning into white noise these days.

7. RasputinLives

RasputinLives Happy to be me again Contributor

Featured Threads:
    Andyoak that's what the politicians want.

"Please look the other way and protest about something else so as not to see how much we've ****ed up"

I bet they had a whole host of agreements with the EU they were ready to push through quickly if England had got to world cup final. Would have been ideal to announce them when no one was looking.

Andyoak, Angel and cider_and_toast like this.
  8. Angel

Featured Threads:
    You're not wrong RasputinLives. They all just love to bury bad news don't they?

9. RasputinLives

Featured Threads:
    Also remember that in a politicians ideal world as few of us vote as possible. The fewer of us vote the fewer if if they have to appease to be elected. So making Politics seems boring to everyone is actual a strategy.

10. cider_and_toast

Featured Threads:
    I wonder where the lady whose first thought on 9/11 was to e-mail her boss and say "today is a good day to bury bad news" ended up. Moore was her surname if I remember correctly.

You have to wonder how you end up that cold hearted in politics that after several thousand deaths, that's thought 1.

Funny world.

11. Andyoak

Andyoak Race Winner

Did she fake her death?

12. Angel

Featured Threads:
    Oh that's horrific doing that on 9/11.

My cousin's wife used to work closely with an MP (I won't say which one) but from what she's said they're all as bad as one another. Career politicians are known for never giving a straight answer if their lives depended on it. I mean Theresa May has set out all the things in her white paper, they all sound like what she was promising before, so why do so many of the Brexiter lot think it's an awful deal? I just don't understand it at all, so either I'm really thick or there are other things going on that the public simply have no clue about.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2018
  13. cider_and_toast

Featured Threads:
    Apparently she retrained as a teaching assistant.

Jo Moore - Wikipedia

14. gethinceri

gethinceri Daniil Kvyat Fan. Contributor

Featured Threads:
    I miss Eric Joyce.

15. FB

FB Not my cup of cake Valued Member

Featured Threads:
    Fantasy F1 Profile:
    FF1 Profile
    Fantasy F1 Team-mate:
    FF1 Team-mate
    Fantasy F1 Rival:
    FF1 Rival
    LOL

16. cider_and_toast

Featured Threads:
    As if things couldn't get any worse:

May takes control of Brexit negotiations

17. vintly

vintly Mostly bacon Premium Contributor

Featured Threads:
    The best deal is no deal,
    the best deal is no deal,
    the best deal is no deal,
    We all fall down.

18. RasputinLives

Featured Threads:
    She is right be best deal the UK can get is no deal as there is no deal we can make. We want to leave and we'll do it under the conditions the EU set because that's how it works. What do we have to bargain with? Nothing.

Angel and cider_and_toast like this.
  19. cider_and_toast

Featured Threads:
    The sooner someone in Government actually points that out, the better.

You can't leave a club then demand how that club treats you in the future. That makes no sense at all.

Bill Boddy likes this.
  20. FB

FB Not my cup of cake Valued Member

Featured Threads:
    Fantasy F1 Profile:
    FF1 Profile
    Fantasy F1 Team-mate:
    FF1 Team-mate
    Fantasy F1 Rival:
    FF1 Rival
    I think some of the other countries are starting to realise quite what they are putting at risk in their own economies though. For example, Europe buys a significant amount of its services from the UK (see item 4 in this report - International trade in services, UK - Office for National Statistics) and for them to just get rid would leave a huge hole in how they do business.

Don't get me wrong, the UK has a weak hand in these discussions but we have to accentuate the few cards we have and put the frighteners on some of the Member States as the Comission itself will see a decline in the economy in say Germany or Ireland as a price worth paying to keep the EU in line. It might well undermine the position of the goverment in some countries, this probably explains why the Irish PM is doing his impression of a headless chicken at the moment as the "Celtic Tiger" is built on the back of exports to the UK and services from London.

21. cider_and_toast

Featured Threads:
    That would be Ireland who, along with Portugal, Greece and Spain, were the financial lepers of Europe a few years ago. No wonder Ireland are in a panic.

Share This

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use it, you are agreeing to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice