FIA The Criteria for Good Decision Making

I totally agree about the impossibility of absolute consistency, Mephistopheles , and yes the Stewards are often faced with difficulties when deciding where to draw the line. The thing is, where Kimi was concerned, did he not return to the track in an unsafe manner and cause a collision? Anyway, as F1Yorkshire says, I've criticized him on another thread. What snowy 's OP is about here is Charlie's chestnut, or should I say his catchphrase: "Because everybody else does it, that does not make it right." Has Charlie, or maybe it was just the Steward, changing the tune, by actually stating as one of their reasons as a mitigation that "any other driver would have done the same thing." ?

It's like using the legal term "Custom and practise". We have many an instance of regulation changes and clarifications that have either supplanted or affirmed existing custom and practise (i.e. what drivers usually, normally or habitually did) so we know they are not averse to that. It's somewhat unusual of the FIA to use a "custom and practise" argument as a reason for no further action. Personally, I'm now wondering if that approach is setting a potentially dangerous precedent.

so how the hell is Kimi supposed to know where each one of them is or isn't? or is that a new criteria for drivers to learn now.

Most drivers do track walks on the Thursday before a race, Kimi is one of those drivers who is well known for not bothering to take the time to do them. His lackadaisical attitude meant he didn't know about the ditch, and even if he did know then he chose to go across it at full speed. Either way he was negligent.

And the design of the gully is perfectly fine then, like I said they are there to drain water not to launch cars they can quite easily do one without doing the other..

They are also off the track. Cars are not meant to be going at full speed when off the circuit. Racing is supposed to be kept within the track limits. Using run offs as acceleration zones is something the FIA is cracking down on especially for this kind of event!

Which is why I questioned peoples praise of Grosjean for overtaking off track at Hungary and say the stewards are arsholes for giving him a penalty and now those same people are damning Kimi for not lifting when leaving the track and not getting a penalty.

Don't get me wrong I'm not defending Kimi I'm criticizing the people who slate the stewards for inconsistency and double standards when those very same people have their own double standards and inconsistencies to think about.

You know the one about the pot and the kettle right?

Last edited:
Well I for one do not praise anyone for going off track to overtake, two wheels or four. In fact I rarely praise anyone for specific overtakes unless they are absolutely incredible. Hand heart I would say I'm personally pretty consistent. :moustache::D

Inconsistency runs throughout life indeed life itself is inconsistent so why should we be amazed or annoyed when things are inconsistent.

When something has a set of rules such as sport those rules will always be interpreted differently by different people especially when favourites are involved (That is especially true in families most of us have a sibling that is treated favourably from our perspective.) the best we can hope for as fans and spectators is that those that make the decisions, in this case the stewards do so based on the facts and the rules that apply, I have stated on more than one occasion that the stewards have a hell of a lot more information than we do and that we have to trust the process of them coming to a conclusion, because if we don't then what is the ****ing point of bothering to even watch the sport in the first place..

I've never been a fan of the armchair ref you see it in football all the time sometimes decisions are wrong but most of the time they are correct so just get over it already because there ain't no alternative to what we've got...

Last edited:
If Grosjean's outside-track-limits pass on Massa is illegal then Kimi flooring it through a run-off area, bouncing through the gully, eliminating Massa, forcing Kobayashi onto the grass and endangering Chilton is most certainly illegal.

If Grosjean's outside-track-limits pass on Massa is illegal then Alonso and Vettel should both have suffered drive through penalties to boot for their disrespect for the white lines, actually,

If Grosjean's outside-track-limits pass on Massa is legal then we can have the discussion about Raikkonen.

Come to think of it... Rosberg flooring it through the runoff area in Montreal isn't terribly dissimilar to what Kimi did. I know the terrain was different, but the objective of the maneuver was the same. They gave it full beans following a mistake in order to avoid losing position(s). Racing drivers are pretty much programmed to do that.

Back
Top Bottom