Movies The Best film you've ever seen?

Apparently Gravity (Spanish director, American stars, and American funding) and 12 years a slave (British director, some British stars, but American funding) are both British films.....

Gravity was filmed in the UK and 12 Years a Slave had a British director. Not seen either so I can't comment on the qualty, or not but as with most things in life one country can rarely claim all the kudos for an event. The Americans would never have got to the Moon without all the German rocket engineers brought over after the war, for example.

"La grande bellezza" wins the Oscar as the best foreign film, but also in Italy there are lots of people that hated it. Anyone of you has seen it?

At the risk of sounding like a fossil, the most of my favourite films are B&W. Bogie made several great ones but my favourite, from a standpoint of brilliant acting, is Treasure of the Sierra Madre. A character study of one man's descent into madness. The acting in African Queen also was stellar but, unfortunately, they filmed that one in colour. ;)

My favourite British film of all time is The Third Man (best dramatic utilisation of B&W of any film ever made). The early Michael Caine films pretty much all are ace; Zulu, Ipress File, Alfie, The Italian Job. I have a special soft spot for The Man Who Would Be King, because I'm rather anoraky about Kipling (When you're wounded and left on Afghanistan's plains, And the women come out to cut up what remains....) and Dravot and Carnehan are so splendidly British.

...The Americans would never have got to the Moon without all the German rocket engineers brought over after the war, for example.
Never is quite a long time. Had they not had American technocracy to stand on, those same Nazis would never have got their rockets any further than Hillingdon.

Back
Top Bottom