The 2013 Season

It follows Brawn's previous Modus Operandi, he did exactly this same thing in 2009.

2009 was very different though. There was a mass rule change and Brawn exploited a mass hole in it. He'd even pointed that mass hole out to the other teams but no one chose to listen to him. This year is different, the rules are basically the same and all the upgrades from 2012 can be used in the 2013 car so stopping development doesn't make much sense with the lack of testing.

It might turn out that Merc haven't gained as much as we thought but if they have you have to look at maybe sub standard performance last year. I understand their tyre issues but I have to say I've always been confused how the Merc was almighty in China only last season and it didn't manage it else where.

I'm sure Lewis is pushing the Merc forward but maybe the biggest role is them having a driver performing to the cars limits and putting a rocket up Nico's backside (I still expect him to revert to form as the new Jarno Trulli as the season goes on though).

I'm sure Lewis is pushing the Merc forward but maybe the biggest role is them having a driver performing to the cars limits and putting a rocket up Nico's backside (I still expect him to revert to form as the new Jarno Trulli as the season goes on though).
There's not a lot Lewis could have done to improve the Mercedes thus far. I'm pretty sure they knew already they didn't have enough downforce compared to their competition.

Rosberg, Trulli! Surely you jest sir? :o

Not really. Rosberg does a fine impression of him. Qualifies high and gradually slips down the field. Seems immensly quick at times but absent at others. On his day can beat champions on others gets beaten by also rans. Highly rated by some and looks on the verge of breaking the big time but never actually does. They seem pretty similar to me.

Lewis can certainly have pushed the car to quick times in testing and certainly pushed Nico to try and match him. Which is why my theory is that whilst I'm sure the Merc is an improvment that maybe it wasn't that bad a car in the first place it just needed the right driver to put it where it should be.

I guess we'll see.

Ominous comments from non-Red Bull engineers concerning Vettel.

Vettel looks on another planet - high or low fuel.

Game over.

Also:
Lewis Hamilton said:
They’ve obviously been sandbagging the whole time in winter as expected...

Red Bull are fast no doubt, but Ferrari's long runs were also very good. Massa looked strong at various times. The only time we got a hint of Ferrari's true one lap pace was when Alonso came out on the super softs. Fastest 1st sector, fastest 2nd sector and then pulled back in the 3rd sector. In the left hander before the right hander leading onto the start finish straight he clearly backed off. He wasn't even trying to reach the apex of either corner. Possibly he knew what the car was capable of after the first two sectors and decided there was no point in showing his hand. Regardless, Vettel was still quicker but certainly not the 8 tenths shown on the timesheets. There's a lot more interest to come this weekend and the weather will no doubt play its part.

Having watched P1 my early conclusions are the following:

Red Bull out front being challenged by Ferrari with Lewis and Kimi keeping them honest and taking pot shots from behind.

Massa has come into the seaaon a bit more awake.

Mclaren seem to have no pace but with Button and Perez its likely their race pace will be bettee

Hulkenberg may find himself frustrated at Sauber.

Both Rosberg and Di Resta have just realised how hard its going to be to beat their team mates.

Torro Rosso could be the up and down Toyota of the season as the car looks great aero like but somehow still.slow.

Bianchi is going to be king of the back 4.

Just watching an interview with Martin Whitmarsh on Sky with Natalie Pinkham. She went to Red Bull, had a laugh and a joke, met lots of people, built a brake disc assembly and indulged in some banter with Christian Horner about being the tea girl. At McLaren, a suited and booted MW gives a very in depth, detailed, and, might I say, dull interview sat in the "heritage centre". Perhaps McLaren need to lighten up a bit and get some fun back into what they do to start winning again. It can't be a great atmosphere to work in surely? Maybe that was part of what drove Lewis away?

Sing along with the F1 lyrics:

I see the Red Bull rising
I see trouble on the way.
I see Vettel driving like lightning'
I see bad times today.

Don't watch F1 tonight
Its bound to be some strife
There's a Red Bull on the rise.

I see diffusers a-blowin'
I know the end is coming soon
I fear McLaren won't be goin'
I fear the voice of rage and ruin

Don't watch F1 tonight
There's a Red Bull on the rise.

Hope you get your things together
Hope you don't have to send a spy
Looks like you'll be beat by even Webber
A finger paraded for your eye

Don't watch F1 tonight
There's a Red Bull on the rise...

It's only the first qualifying session of the season but Red Bull Vettel are is looking ominous.

Mercedes have to be very hopeful and pleased with where they are.

Ferrari are in the mix as usual.

McLaren. Oh dear.

There was a comment from Crofty in commentary that McLaren might go back to last year's car which sounds like a pretty fundamental problem.

Back
Top Bottom