Susie Wolff

Susie Wolff born 6 December 1982 in Oban is a British racing driver from Scotland. She has progressed through the ranks of motorsport, starting off in karting, then moving up to Formula Renault and Formula Three before moving to the DTM to compete for Mercedes-Benz since 2006. In 2012 she was signed by the Williams Formula One team to work as a development driver and she is still in that role.
She lives in Ermatingen, Switzerland with her husband Toto Wolff, since January 21, 2013, executive director of the Mercedes AMG Petronas Formula One Team. The two were married in October 2011.

Susie is aiming to be the first ever woman since 1976 and Lella Lombardi to race in F1.

She has her own TV program on Sunday 24.3.2013 BBC2 8pm : Driven: The Fastest Women in the World.

Her race record is none to impressive at zero wins, and you would have to say she would not deserve a drive based on that alone. However it is way beyond time that a woman driver should be in F1 and if Susie can open that door which has been closed since 1976 then I say good luck to her and I hope she gets a drive in a decent car.

Screen Shot 2013-03-22 at 08.05.03.png

http://www.williamsf1.com/notfound?item=/team/media/news/susie-wolff-appointed-official-test-driver-for-the-2015-season/&user=extranet\Anonymous&site=website

Try looking up this article on Susie Wolff's promotion to test driver and admire the 404 error that you get. Somehow I think there's a little bit of 1984 style revision going on here with regards to her role in the team for 2015.

Claire Williams does ot clearly state she is reserve driver in this Guardian article but the article contends that it would be Wolff if Bottas or Massa can't run:

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2014/nov/28/susie-wolff-williams-formula-one-official-test-driver

It's another indication that Williams were never serious about putting her in the car.

There will come a time when teams will stop hiring female drivers just because it makes them look good and actually hire them with the intention of given them a seat. That time clearly isn't now. I suppose the Mercedes engines are worth it for Williams though.

Is nt it a surprise then ? I mean she can go back to do DTM where she has an average record.

Seriously unless she has loads of money she was never going to get a drive

It really annoys me that on the one hand she says she can no longer see an opportunity to drive in F1 so she is going to stop being a racing driver, and on the other hand she wants to be a role model. Since 2012 she has basically done 4 friday practice runs. If I remember correctly only one of which wasn't effected by mechanical issues. In all this time she has had plenty of opportunities to do other race work especially one off endurance races such as Daytona or Le Mans. The simple fact of the matter is that her record is not good enough to warrent an F1 start. She hasn't won a race at any catagory she has taken part in from Formula Renault UK upwards. 4 points in 7 seasons of DTM is poor by anyones standards regardless of how old the car she had. The best way to get more women racing is to get more women racing. I know that sounds silly but why didn't Susie use her new found fame to get those high profile one off drives?

that is why someone like Danica Patrick would have been good for F1 but she is past that stage where she wants to do F1 and is at her best

I like Suzie , and her lap times in the car weren't bad at all considering how little time she got. I think shes just being realistic, she isn't going to get a drive, that was clear when Bittas was injured and they didn't put her in the car. She isn't getting any younger, maybe wants to start a family? so she's called it a day. She did say she wants to help and encourage other girls into the sport,

There's a nice interview with her here on BBC.

BBC Sport - Susie Wolff: Female Williams F1 test driver to retire

Il_leone I' d have liked to see Danica in F1 too

that is why someone like Danica Patrick would have been good for F1 but she is past that stage where she wants to do F1 and is at her best

Danica Patrick is terrible - one win in her entire career and that was on fuel mileage

In championship winning team in NASCAR (only because of money) and hasn't even done a thing

One win in a major open wheel series regardless of the circumstances is still an achievement. It's a CV that holds up far better than Susie Wolff's.

LifeW12 She's actually shown she can put the car on pole and score podiums and win races in open wheel racing I don't see that on Susie's record for over 10 years. Susie only got her chance at F1 because of her husband not because of her driving ability

Wolff: Gender didn't scupper F1 chances - PlanetF1

You are right Suzie - gender didn't scupper your chance, being crap did.

Crap? I think that's all relative. I don't think anyone in here would be able to compete even close with her. She did not have what it takes to be a competing F1 driver, but she was driving a F1 car in a male dominated sport so I'd say that she was far from being crap. If you were joking that's alright, but she certainly deserves some recognition for what she's done.

She got the position because of her gender (and husband). There are plenty more male drivers that are better.

Back
Top Bottom