Space X Grasshopper VTL Rocket

I share the opinion that this is not the most simple method of recovering a launch system. In rocket launches, weight is everything. The fact that this system requires the storage of fuel for the landing system means the reduction in payload capability in relation to a non recoverable version of the same size and fuel capacity.

I guess where this one needs to win is in the speed of turn around and re-launch. The whole idea of a return.to launch pad recovery should be that the system can, with minimal maintenance, be ready to go again in the minimum time possible.

Imagine they get the system to the point where it lands on the pad, they run a systems check, re-fuel, drop on a new second stage/payload and within 48hrs it's good to go again.

If on the other hand, once returning to pad, the system needs to be struck down, returned to a maintenance and re-assembley area before even getting near a new launch then, as others have posted, it could be recovered in any number of ways.

Having said all that, it is seriously impressive to do what Space X has done. It will be interesting to see where the on-going development takes the progamme.

Listening to the radio this morning both these projects are simply to indulge the vanity of the two billionaires involved. Here's an idea boys, use your money for something more beneficial to society.

Perhaps this should be in the rant thread?

No, but for some time I have felt that Google and Amazon want full world domination, no, are determined to get full etc. They know that they are above the law.

From the footage it looks to me like an electrical short ignited either the final stage rocket engine or, I believe they have small thruster engines used to control the attitude of the craft as it decends for recovery and it may have been one of those.

Either way, that's an expensive mistake.

Back
Top Bottom