Site Suggestions & Updates

Is it possible to add notifications to the top of the browser tab like below?

notifications.JPG

Yeah just that, if like me you spend a lot of time with multiple tabs open you can flick back to the tab with notifications when you see one appear.

That's going to require custom development so I'll add it to the to do list.

I also need to check what impact it will have on the server.

No, it's not currently part of the code.

There are several add-ons available but I need to check the code to see how efficient and well coded they are.
Worst case scenario is I write a custom add-on.

The problem is a lot of servers can't handle it, especially shared hosting, as it requires polling the server at regular intervals.

For services such as Facebook and Twitter it's fine as they have their own (very well equipped) servers.

Is it possible to add notifications to the top of the browser tab like below?
This has now been implemented, although it is displayed in a slightly different way.

Every 10 seconds the server will be polled and if there are new alerts, the number in the favicon will be updated.

upload_2014-9-18_11-56-17.png

It's on trial to see how it works and what impact (if any) it has on the server.

I'm also not sure how it will work with double or triple digit alert counts.

I'll see if I can do some testing on my development install.

I've actually noticed the favicon on the bookmarks toolbar in chrome also shows the alert indicator. Was that a deliberate addition as well or just a consequence of the change to the main favicon. Will this mean you can see the alerts even if the site page isn't open in a tab?

I've actually noticed the favicon on the bookmarks toolbar in chrome also shows the alert indicator. Was that a deliberate addition as well or just a consequence of the change to the main favicon. Will this mean you can see the alerts even if the site page isn't open in a tab?
The site will need to be open in a tab for the alert to show.

When I checked my favourites tonight, before logging in to Clip, the favicon showed 9 alerts!

When I then logged in to Clip, The favorit alerts showed as 3...

EDIT; I should say that I use Firefox.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom