1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use it, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Silverstone agrees 17 year deal to host the British GP

Discussion in 'Formula One Discussion' started by Brogan, Dec 7, 2009.

1. Brogan

Brogan Running Man Staff Member

Featured Threads:
    Profit may be down $200 million but they still made $4.6 billion overall profit in 2009 :o

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to remove all adverts.
  3. cider_and_toast

cider_and_toast Everything in moderation Staff Member Premium Contributor

Featured Threads:
    Yeah but the words "Profit down" will set alarm bells ringing from CVC to the FIA and from Paris to Woking via all points west of Malaysia.

"up the prices" they'll say "up 'em quick, charge £100 for a t-shirt, some sucker will pay"

4. What, Bernie does things with an ulterior motive!! :thinking:

Good news, but until those five lights go out, it could still go pear shaped, just look at Donnington and at the Turkey thread.

5. gethinceri

gethinceri Bearded. Contributor

Featured Threads:
  6. Greenlantern101

Greenlantern101 Super Hero And All Round Good Guy Contributor

Featured Threads:
    I hope Liberty Media can do something about lowering the prices Bernie demands. Firing Bernie would be a start.
    F1 without a British Grand Prix would be dark days.

7. FB

FB Not my cup of cake Valued Member

Featured Threads:
    Fantasy F1 Profile:
    FF1 Profile
    Fantasy F1 Team-mate:
    FF1 Team-mate
    Fantasy F1 Rival:
    FF1 Rival
    Nice bit of posturing by Silverstone just as the new commercial rights holder get their feet under the table.

cider_and_toast likes this.
  8. siffert_fan

siffert_fan Too old to watch the Asian races live. Contributor

Featured Threads:
    Maybe Brands would step up to fill the void? I would love to see Druids return to F1.

9. Andyoak

Andyoak Race Winner

With the quiet hybrid engines it might even get past the complaints from the neighbours...
    Doh, haven't they tweaked things to make them noisy again?

Brands Hatch will never return and we'll still have the snooze-fest (imho) at Silverstone.

10. Bill Boddy

Bill Boddy Professional layabout Premium Contributor

Brands Hatch would need so much money spent on it that there is no way that there was enough left over to pay that nice Mr. Ecclestone's fee.

11. RasputinLives

RasputinLives He's the master of going faster Contributor

Featured Threads:
    Donnington is at Grand Prix level. Doubt they could afford to pay to host it though.

12. sobriety

sobriety Podium Finisher

I would love it to be at Donny again, our park circuits are so much more interesting than the old airfields.

Actually, no I wouldn't, as I'm pretty sure they'd 'Tilkeify' the craner curves.

13. Bill Boddy

Bill Boddy Professional layabout Premium Contributor

I would like a British Grand Prix where the camping facilities were professional, where there were fast flowing curves with overtaking possibilities, the top teams were closely matched, the entrance fees were reasonable and where traffic flowed freely after the race was over.

At the moment that looks like zero out of five.

Galahad and teabagyokel like this.
  14. The Artist.....

The Artist..... Champion Elect

Featured Threads:
    Bernie has told Silverstone to stop moaning, and that other European venues cope (even with fewer spectators).

The business model that F1 works under just leads to circuits being stretched beyond their means- look at Mangey Course, Nurburgring, etc. Even Spa has struggled.

If Bernie continues to insist on £20million+ hosting fees, and insists on all track sponsorship being sold directly by FOM (with no money going to the track). In terms of sustainability of F1, it would make much more sense if FOM paid a hosting fee to the circuits, and then they received the gate money. The races would be held at circuits that attract fans. Rather than the countries that just want to advertise themselves!

If you assume 100,000 fans attending the GP, to pay the hosting fee, you currently need ticket prices of £200....

Wombcat, Titch and gethinceri like this.
  15. Titch

Titch Mine is the best pink car on the track. Premium Contributor

Featured Threads:
    Fantasy F1 Profile:
    FF1 Profile
    Makes a lot of sense to me The Artist.....

the bit about paying the circuit and then they hand over the gate money I mean.

The Artist..... likes this.
  16. RasputinLives

Featured Threads:
    The Artist..... tickets would need to be £400 as Bernie and Co currently take 50% of the gate money (that's the deal with Silverstone). In fact they take 50% of everything sold on the day from your t-shirts down to your hot dog.

17. The Artist.....

The Artist..... Champion Elect

Featured Threads:
    RasputinLives - where's that from? Every previous description of the deals has been that all of the ticket revenue goes to the circuit, but then £19.9million needs to be paid by the circuit to Bernie for the rights to host... It would be interesting to know if they've changed the deal!

18. teabagyokel

teabagyokel Part of the furniture Valued Member

Featured Threads:
    Pictures from the renegotiation:[​IMG]

19. RasputinLives

Featured Threads:
    The Artist..... I went on a tour of Silverstone a few years ago and that's what we were told the deal was.

The Artist..... likes this.
  20. FB

FB Not my cup of cake Valued Member

Featured Threads:
    Fantasy F1 Profile:
    FF1 Profile
    Fantasy F1 Team-mate:
    FF1 Team-mate
    Fantasy F1 Rival:
    FF1 Rival
    Errm

GPTickets.png