Should the Sunday morning warm up be brought back?

FB

Not my cup of cake
Valued Member
Back in the day, F1 cars used to barrel round for an hour on a Sunday morning to allow the teams to prepare the cars for the race in the afternoon. We now have "Parc Ferme" where the cars have to run in the configuration used for Saturday's qualifying even if the quaile was dry and the race wet or vice versa.

Is it time for the powers that be to reintroduce a 30 or 60 minute session on the morning of the race so that teams can set the car up in race trim, make adjustments for the climatic conditions and give the fans something else to watch apart from a Porsche Supercup or Renault Clio Championship race before the main event?

Hopefully this would lead to a more interesting race if the teams have compromised their set up for qualifying. I think we can all recall Vettel's drive from the pit lane to third a few years ago when the team took the decision to break the Parc Ferme rules and set the car up in race spec. I'm sure Pirelli could find another set of tyres for each of the teams to give them some running on a Sunday morning and, I'll be absolutely honest, I'm not sure what Parc Ferme brings to F1 and am struggling to remember why it was introduced. Was it another measure to combat the Schumcher dominance in the early noughties?

It was introduced because teams were effectively running a qualifying setup that bore no resemblance to the race car. It was just one part of the whole push to get rid of qualifying cars. You used to have cars running qually tyres and qually engines, and other qually only parts, on an all qually set up. Then the car that went out and raced was radically different to what qualified. The teams were effectively running 4 cars.

Maybe now with the demise of qualifying engines and tyres we could go back to having a race set up session. But I would suspect that it would lead to more expense as teams went all out on extreme set ups for qualifying. Possibly even bringing back 'qually car parts' such as special wings, brakes or suspension to get an ultimate speed on a 1 lap run, then changing the car for the 200mile race to give more durability and balance.

Last edited:
Considering there have been stories about F1 possibly ditching Friday morning practice this week I doubt they're going to introduce another session any time soon.

I would personally like to see the teams allowed to change set ups between qualifying and race, without needing to start from the pit lane. Keep the current rules with regards to new parts, to prevent qualifying only parts etc, but if you want to change the ride height, fill your boots.

As for the morning session, I think the punters get a full race card on the Sunday already, so not sure it would be necessary, but it could be set as a shakedown, as long as you do not use your race drivers?

But I would suspect that it would lead to more expense as teams went all out on extreme set ups for qualifying. Possibly even bringing back 'qually car parts' such as special wings, brakes or suspension to get an ultimate speed on a 1 lap run, then changing the car for the 200mile race to give more durability and balance.

What a great idea ... the powers that be despair over qually becoming a tactical / strategic battle rather than pure flat out speed ... imagine the Ferrari being the fastest in qually spec ... with Williams right behind ... but everyone knows the Merc's in race trim are the cars to watch ...

I remember back in 1986 watching Senna wring the Lotus-Renault neck and qualifying on pole ... top 2 or 3 numersous times ... but in the full knowledge that the McLaren and the Williams Honda had the full race pace / fuel economy edge ...

Qually becomes more interesting to watch - check
Races could become more interesting - check

:thumbsup:

So do away with Friday practice altogether and give us back Sunday mornings? Might be an idea to extend Saturday morning to a 2 hour session to give the times a chance to play with set ups - qualie practice on a Saturday and race practice on a Sunday?

What happens to the early morning races China, Aus et al?? Pain in the arse if you have to wake up a few more hours before the race UK time just to watch cars stretching their legs. I think the current rules are fine. I like the anticipation.

Last edited:
it is suggested that the reliability is a lot better because there is less chance of mistakes if you don't have to constantly take the car apart and put it back together again

part of the reason using the warm up is being able to use the spare car which would play into the hands of Ferrari who want the 3rd car to be used in some way to get extra data

I see this as only benefiting the team with more resources

For what? I think many would still be saving their cars and not going out at all, you can't change the setup after qualifying :p

Back
Top Bottom