Current Sergio Pérez

Sergio Perez Mendoza also known as 'Checo'. 21 years of age and 12 Grand Prix under his belt. Already has a contract for Sauber for next year, is part of the Ferrari driving acadamy, current favourite to replace Massa but what he didn't have was his own thread on Clip the Apex so I thought I'd sort him one out.

Won British Formula 3 at 18. Finished 12 in GP2 at 19. Finished runner-up in GP2 at 20. Made his GP debut at 21 and finished in the points only to be DQ'd later due to both Saubers breaking car regs. Had a big accident at Monoco and even chose to pull out of the Candian GP after realising he wasn't back to 100%. Has had 2 points finishes so far this season with his highest being a 7th place at Silverstone. Has been quite highly placed at both Spa and Monza in last couple of weeks but due to a tangle and a mechnical faiure didn't capitalise on it.

Has been beating his Team-mate Kobyashi reg in qualifying but has had difficulty translating that to the races. Sometimes you wonder if Perez suffers from Sauber tendency to try and make him do something different on the tyre strategy and whether he'd much rather just go for it and race with the pack. Having said that he has proved he has a head for strategy which could stand him in goodstead for the future.

Already impressed enough to get a second year with Sauber and is currently dueling with Paul Di Resta for the 'Rookie of the Year' award. What do you guys think of him? Star of the future or constant midfield runner?

Hmm some wild theories posted here.Having suffered a stroke on the right hand side of my brain this has left partially paralysed on my left side.
http://www.stroke.org/site/PageServer?pagename=EFFECT The right hemisphere of the brain controls the movement of the left side of the body. It also controls analytical and perceptual tasks, such as judging distance, size, speed, or position and seeing how parts are connected to wholes.
A stroke in the right hemisphere often causes paralysis in the left side of the body. This is known as left hemiplegia. Survivors of
right-hemisphere strokes may also have problems with their spatial and perceptual abilities. This may cause them to misjudge distances (leading to a fall) or be unable to guide their hands to pick up an object, button a shirt or tie their shoes. They may even be unable to tell right-side up from upside-down when trying to read.
The left hemisphere of the brain controls the movement of the right side of the body. It also controls speech and language abilities for most people. A left-hemisphere stroke often causes paralysis of the right side of the body. This is known as right hemiplegia.
Someone who has had a left-hemisphere stroke may also develop aphasia. Aphasia is a catch-all term used to describe a wide range of speech and language problems. These problems can be highly specific, affecting only one component of the patient's ability to communicate, such as the ability to move their speech-related muscles to talk properly. The same patient may be completely unimpaired when it comes to writing, reading or understanding speech.

Yep. I got my head repeatedly stamped on two years ago after being knocked unconscious by a beer bottle round the head. For the next week I found myself navigating between the walls of corridors rather than walking towards the end of them. An extremely scary time.

Another strong drive from Perez, Ferrari can't have failed to take notice and Massa will be looking over his shoulder now, if he wasn't already.
On a side note, watchinig the post-race press conference, I couldn't help thinking that Perez looks a bit fat for an F1 driver:dunno:

According to the Sauber website he weighs 63kg and is 1.73m tall so just under 10 st and 5' 9" in old money. Kobayashi is 5kg lighter and 5cm shorter.

I'm definitely a sprinter. The only way I can comfortably get up climbs is to sprint them but you can't do that distance riding. Oops, we've gone off topic.

Cycling thread?

Pérez has thrown his hat into the ring as far as a seat at Ferrari is concerned.

Sergio Pérez claims there is no time like the present for Ferrari to declare whether or not they will be interested in his services for the 2013 Formula 1 season. The Mexican, currently racing for customer squad Sauber and part of the Ferrari Driver Academy, has scored two podium finishes so far this year.

“It's been a very busy season so far, but the moment will soon come for me to think about my future,” he told the British media. “If there is an opportunity with them, or another team, then it's time to know. I will have to see what the options are and from that I will decide.
http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/282332/perez-time-to-know-about-ferrari/

Pleased for the guy, it's good to see a driver being given the chance of a top team drive on merit rather than because he's either flashing the (sponsors') cash or because he's happy to roll over and have his tummy ticked a la Massa. Looking forward to seeing how he goes.

Back
Top Bottom