1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use it, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Politics Scottish independence

Discussion in 'Gravel Trap' started by Brogan, May 7, 2011.

1. Brogan

Brogan Running Man Staff Member

Featured Threads:
    Good idea? Bad idea? Don't care?

I mentioned this in the AV thread but after reading this on the BBC site, it looks like it could be a real possibility.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-13315752

So does anyone really believe that Scotland will, in a few years, be completely separate from the UK?

I don't presume to speak for any Scot's as I have no idea what the feeling is regarding this.
    Personally speaking though I couldn't care less; if Scotland wants to go it alone, then just get on and do it.
    I don't hold any enmity towards Scotland or the Scottish people, I'm of Celtic origin myself.

I expect the reality will be very much divorced from what the fundamentalists expect, or hope it will be.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to remove all adverts.
  3. teabagyokel

teabagyokel Part of the furniture Valued Member

Featured Threads:
    I expect Scotland to vote for the retention of the Union, although I do get that impression from the BBC!

However, Scotland and Wales are nations in their own right, and I believe that some day in the future England, Scotland and Wales will be independent nations.

None of these countries will be an economic powerhouse, but then again it is unlikely that the UK will retain this status indefinitely. There is strong nationalistic tendencies in all 3 nations.

I do not intend to discuss Northern Ireland; the biggest can of worms there is!

4. Fenderman

Fenderman Rooters Reporter

Featured Threads:
    Fantasy F1 Profile:
    FF1 Profile
    Ooh. I wonder if that means that I can have three passports?

5. Galahad

Galahad Not a Moderator Valued Member

Featured Threads:
    Ultimately it's down to the people of Scotland to decide. The (English) Conservatives will fight tooth-and-nail against it, which seems a slightly odd position to take, to me at least.

It's hard to imagine it happening right now (particularly now the North Sea oil has run out) but who knows? In just a few years' time the people of Scotland may be thoroughly sick of the UK Government and feel they're better off out of it.

On that basis I might start the CNP - Croydon Nationalist Party!

6. gethinceri

gethinceri Bearded. Contributor

Featured Threads:
    "Freedom!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Fenderman and Brogan like this.
  7. tooncheese

tooncheese Hans Heyer Contributor

IMG_0067[1].JPG

8. gethinceri

Featured Threads:
    The irony.LOL

9. Brogan

Featured Threads:
    A related news item and definitely a prerequisite I would have thought?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-13583705

10. gethinceri

Featured Threads:
    Yes indeed.

11. Slyboogy

Slyboogy World Champion Contributor

Well being Scottish myself, I think right now, it would be a bad move, as much as we don't like the English (joke) we need them...

I don't see Scotland getting anywhere right now if they are not part of the "UK".

I haven't been following it that much, anyone here want to fill me in?

Fenderman likes this.
  12. RevMaxPower

RevMaxPower Banned

Had the same issue with Quebec in Canada. One question. (Well ok, several :))

Who is going to pay for defence - Navy, Army, Air Force? University Education, Health Care for the elderly, medical prescriptions........?

You're on your own guys. Unless the EU helps out - just like they did in Ireland. And they are doing just fine, aren't they... ;)

13. fat jez

fat jez Race Winner Valued Member

Not every country had a defence force - from memory, Iceland does not.

14. Brogan

Featured Threads:
    Isn't it the intention that the North Sea oil fields will provide a lot of the necessary funding?

15. Fenderman

Fenderman Rooters Reporter

Featured Threads:
    Fantasy F1 Profile:
    FF1 Profile
    ... and would an independent Scotland not retain the taxes raised from the nations inhabitants?

16. Slyboogy

Slyboogy World Champion Contributor

That is what I am afraid of, Scotland has some stuff that England benefits from, one of them being that we store their nuclear weapons here, as much as we don't like each other, we need each other. More so Scotland than England

17. Porceliamone

Porceliamone This cost me a tenner, but so L'Oreal. Contributor

Fantasy F1 Profile:
    FF1 Profile
    Fantasy F1 Team-mate:
    FF1 Team-mate
    Couldn't care less.

Let them go if they want. Probably a good thing actually. Many Scots express great disdain for the English and would go out of their way to avoid supporting us on any matter.

Plus they cost the UK much more per head than any other part of the country so the rest of us might see a benefit if they did bugger off and try and survive without us propping up their economy and healthcare system.

18. fat jez

fat jez Race Winner Valued Member

And you wonder why Scots have disdain towards the English with an attitude like yours? Get real.

So which part of the UK do you live in? I have news for you, the average spend varies from region to region. Are you going to complain that the north east gets on average almost £2000 more per person than the south east? Perhaps you should make them independent so they aren't such a burden on the rest of the country?

19. Cookinflatsix

Cookinflatsix Banned

Did you factor in the revenues from Brent minus the half going to America?

fat jez, slyboogy21 and Fenderman like this.
  20. Brogan

Featured Threads:
    New article on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-13685912

Worth a read.

21. MCLS

MCLS Anti F1 fan Valued Member

If they want to go it alone so to speak, why stop them?

AXLE TRAMP and Fenderman like this.

Share This