Schumacher's Race Wins record under threat ?

Will Schumacher's race win record be broken and by who?

• Yes - Hamilton

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes - Another driver

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
siffert_fan Back in the 60's Jim Clark use to skip races because he was dominant and go off to win the Indy 500 to show the man's talent

Yes Bernie is congesting the F1 calendar which is ridiculous but then it is making it more possible to break records quickly and early

The great thing about there being far fewer F1 races in the 60s and 70s was that the drivers could, and most did, take part in other series. McLaren, Hulme, Amon, Siffert, Elford, Gurney, Clark, Graham Hill etc all contested races in F1, Can Am, Le Mans series, and the Indy 500 every year. Elford even did some rallying!

Such diversity of racing endeavors gave much more credence to the F1 claim of having the best drivers in the world than is true today.

When it comes to multi-tasking though you can't see past Mike Hailwood.

Grand Prix racing on both two and four wheels, F1, 350cc, 500cc, TT road-racing, Ilse Of Man, NW200, speed record attempts, Le Mans... is there anything he didn't race in?...

Hailwood was also, IMO, one of the bravest drivers to ever grace F1. I remember him pulling Clay Reggazoni from his burning car in South Africa when the fire and rescue crews weren't available.

Incubus siffert_fan Olivier I have to say the fact that you guys still talk about the guys who ran in other series in such hushed tones just goes to show how a drivers reputation can be inhanced by showing their versatility, which of course makes F1 all the more exciting for knowing the best drivers are in it.

I thought (hoped) that we might be returning to that era with two drivers in the field both running in other series this year (yes I know Merhi was in a junior series but in the past some of the greats have done F2 etc) especially with Hulkenberg winning Le Mans. I was actually looking forward to the prospect of seeing Alonso in the Le Mans 24 hour as was apparently being planned.

Unfortunately Bernie does not agree with our view on things and doesn't want another series attracting attention and, importantly, money from using what he considers his 'toys'. Hence why he's slapped a Grand Prix on the same weekend of Le Mans and starting scaring promoters off from holding Formula E races.

I don't think its a case of him not seeing the bigger picture just that he doesn't care.

I consider Bernie to be the boat anchor around the neck of Formula 1 that has dragged it down from the position it used to hold in the motorsport firmament. Bernie is about money and nothing else, and it appears as though the possible buyers are like him and maybe even more so.

For the last five years, my wife and I have been trying to get our daughter (who is now in charge of our car collection) to become interested in all forms of auto racing so that she might better understand the significance of a fair number of the cars therein.

To our joy, she loves all forms of auto racing, including those we don't such as NASCAR, with one major exception: formula 1. She feels that it is pointless even watching the races as you know who the victor will most probably be before each race is even run! Unfortunately, I can't really argue with that viewpoint. So we have been having her watch everything we can about F1 in the 60s and 70s to better appreciate the significance of the period cars we own.

Hopefully, once Bernie passes on (where is an exorcist when you need one), the sport can return to its former glory.

siffert_fan Unfortunately Bernie is no longer the only problem and prime mover of F1. He is clearly responsible for a major part of how F1 functions and malfunctions but it will take more than his demise to deconstruct F1. We actually need him to hang on a bit longer and preside over the death of F1, so it can be reborn or replaced by something a little less sinister. F1 must eat itself, and with an increasingly senile Bernie at the helm it will, in all probability do that sooner rather than later.

Last edited:
As far as I can tell Mr Ecclestone puts next to nothing on paper, he carries it all in his head. So on his demise confusion will follow.

Anyway to go back on topic, I thin it might yet be a bit of a tall order for Hamilton to reach Schumacher's win total but Prost's ranking as second in the all-time winners ' list will certainly be up for grabs towards the second half of next year... r even before that.

Last edited:
Not sure that either Hamilton or Vettel is going to beat Schumacher's record of 91 wins, as the amount of wins still needed to overhaul Schumacher's total wins are another 50 for both drivers. Wouldn't be surprised if both Vettel and Hamilton get somewhere between 60-80 race wins each.

Yes we're in a era where no one has a team mate that is quick enough to be in front of them in the first place.

Edit: *For Incubus*

No. In this era the teams makes sure the number 2 driver isn't quick enought to be in front in the first place.

(Does that sounds better?)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom