Rubens Barrichello

Now here's a driver who polarises opinion. A really nice bloke or a bitter man who should have grown a pair at Ferrari instead of bitching about it after he left. The most experienced driver ever in F1 but now, perhaps, past his sell by date? A brilliant car sorter who helped Jenson Button realise his title ambitions at Brawn or someone who failed to take an opportunity when it came his way?

Rubens Barrichello:

314 GP starts
11 wins (No. 25 in the list of GP winners - ahead of Ronnie Petersen but behind Alan Jones)
14 poles
17 fastest laps

Everyone's favourite No.2? The best choice Williams could could have made to lead there team or would they be better off without him?

No matter what you think of Rubens - you can always expect a laugh out of him he's got a cracking personality.

Was watching a dvd of F1 and some of the comments he came out with were hilarous. The DVD is the 2008 f1 preview one. Reckon you should go to the Turkish GP one and listen to the interview prior to the race to see what i mean.

I can't help but feel sorry for Barrichello at the moment.This could well be his last race of a very long career.The other drivers are not sure how to treat him after the race or make any plans for special send of party.
Williams should really make an announcement as to whether or not he is with them next year.

Mark Webber had this to say about him.
Q: This weekend we might see the last race for Rubens Barrichello. His career spans two decades…
MW:
That is incredible, yes. All of us probably envy him for his energy and his inspiration. It is a little disappointing that we are not quite sure how we deal with him crossing the line - can we expect him to be back? But we are not quite sure. He has been through some tremendous highs and some tremendous lows throughout his career - so yes, he’s a very special person.

I didn't realise that Rubens had quit Ferrari with one year left on his contract as we heard in the pre-qually programme today.

Yes, it's strange how long it takes for some facts to come to light. I don't remember that coming out at the time ... just thought his tenure at Ferrari came to a "natural" conclusion.

I thought that it was common knowledge, I found it a few years ago. Getting Massa in wasn't the plan, the plan was to get Schumacher and Raikkonen for 2007. Barrichello moved early, Schumacher retired, and Massa emerged.

Dunno, I thought it was kind of adorable. He's always been like that though, hasn't he? I think it shows his passion more than anything else. Really loved that interview.
Andrex puppies are adorable, not F1 drivers - p'raps Keke is right.

images

An Andrex pup

images

Rubens.

The last two races we have seen him fight so hard. One can argue where was he before?

I think it's time to move over, don't know why he's a favourite round the paddock, never liked the guy after his stint at Ferrari. Seems to get over-emotional, being over-emotional does not help in sports, especially in F1.

He's been fighting hard all season - he's probably had the least TV coverage of any driver, but he's been doing the best he can with what he has. I don't know what people are expecting?

Judging how he has out-performed Maldonado quite comfortably in the last two races, while before that Maldonado (who here has been questioned by his talent and behaviour) was right up there with him.

Of course he's been fighting hard all season, but why has he managed to put in two great drivers in the Williams just there, while he was quite anonymous before and at times getting overshadowed by Maldonado?

Of course he's been fighting hard all season, but why has he managed to put in two great drivers in the Williams just there, while he was quite anonymous before and at times getting overshadowed by Maldonado?

Think Rubinho's season has been average to say the least, but in these last two races i think he knows he won't be at Williams next season and was maybe sending a message to either Lotus or HRT saying he's still got it.

I don't want to be too harsh on Rubinho, but I just found some of these comments laughable. For those who might not have seen it, here's a portion of the interview I mentioned earlier.

And the notion that he "deserves" a 20th season, well, because he's done 19 of them already seems ridiculous. Many drivers could make a case that they deserve a seat on merit.

Back
Top Bottom