Rubens Barrichello

Now here's a driver who polarises opinion. A really nice bloke or a bitter man who should have grown a pair at Ferrari instead of bitching about it after he left. The most experienced driver ever in F1 but now, perhaps, past his sell by date? A brilliant car sorter who helped Jenson Button realise his title ambitions at Brawn or someone who failed to take an opportunity when it came his way?

Rubens Barrichello:

314 GP starts
11 wins (No. 25 in the list of GP winners - ahead of Ronnie Petersen but behind Alan Jones)
14 poles
17 fastest laps

Everyone's favourite No.2? The best choice Williams could could have made to lead there team or would they be better off without him?

How do you know this? Are you implying that he might have had them in 94 and not 95?

The standard line is that they discovered launch control on the 94 Benneton which they may or may not have been using. They have also been allegations of using traction control etc etc in 94 too. I'm yet to hear any suggestions that the 95 Benneton was running illegal systems. This is all I was refering too. My original post was actually debating the idea that they were using the systems on one car and not another something which is new to me and makes no sense. I was merely suggesting that the big gap between Lehto/Jos and Schumacher doesn't confirm they were running it on one car and not another at all just shows that Lehto and Verstappen were just pretty awful F1 drivers and certainly don't rank alongside anyone else on the graph who are all Grand Prix winners(bar Brundle)! But this is the Rubens thread.

Interesting stats again G. Irvine beats Rubens but Rubens gets closer to Schumi than Irvine does! Also he really showed up Magnussen didn't he? Plus the situation where he's so far in front of Herbert in 1999 yet it was Johnny that took the GP win just shows its not all about Quali.

Reckon Rubens is down on Maldonado this year though!

Interesting article - cheers Jos.

I fully expected an Eric Boullier driver (Grosjean, Senna or d'Ambrosio) at Williams next year due to the new partnership with Renault but expected it to be Maldonado who stepped down. Obviously Pastor has a fatter wallet than I thought.

Sutil would be an excellent signing for Williams but can't believe that Force India would drop him as he's still clearly their number one after beating Di Resta by so much this season.

Charles Pic is a star for the future but at 21 it might be a little early.

As for Rubens - could this really be the end? I thought there was a legal clause that said they couldn't hold Grand Prixs without him? Can;t believe Trulli is staying and he's going.

hmmmmm HRT seat for Barrichello anyone?

I agree with you on that G. Not sure what the answer to the Williams scenario is. Can't help but feel they might have been in a better situation if they hadn't traded Hulkenberg for the Maldonado cash because although they would have been a little lower on funds I reckon they'd have been higher in the constructors table and attaracting more sponsers.

As for ditching Rubens. As old as he is you can't help but feel Williams will be even worse off next season without his experience to help them develop and iron out the kinks in the car. Especially with a new engine coming in.

So if they manage to make a good car then it will be worthless. If they did make an outstanding car next year I think rubens could challenge for the title, Maldonado and pay driver I'm not so sure.

Think there's only a few options left for him, stay at Williams and hope that the situation changes for next season and they have a competitive car ( not likely on current form ), or bite the bullet and retire and not just stay in f1 for the sake of it.

To be fair Maldonado is matching Barrichello...

Same happened last year with Hulkenberg matching and beating Barrichello in the second half of the season, I am sure if Hulkenberg stayed on, he would probably would be ahead of Barrichello in the championship.

I think it's time Barrichello called it quits.

Sorry to disagree with you again on Barrichello Sly but if you look at the last 11 races between Rubens and Nico:

BAR: 4 5 12 10 RET 10 6 9 7 14 12

HUL: RET 10 13 6 14 7 10 RET 10 8 16

You'll see that Rubens was up 7 - 4 and Nico got nowhere near the heights position wise that Rubens did.

Whether Nico would have beaten him this year is debatable but I don't think Barrichello has become a slouch - I just don't think he has the car under him

Either way, I still think his time is up, he can't sit around all his life and wait for a good car.

I am afraid his chance has already passed in 2009, and I don't see it coming his way anytime soon, unless he stays in F1 for another 10 years.

That doesn't make him any less useful as a development driver. It's no secret that Schumacher benefited from Barrichello's set up info' at Ferrari. Williams will keep him for as long they feel he produces the goods so they and he will decide when his time is up.

That doesn't make him any less useful as a development driver. It's no secret that Schumacher benefited from Barrichello's set up info' at Ferrari.

not to mention Button in 2009! One of the reason I suggest Renault, with their current situation, could do worse things than take a punt on Rubens to help bring their car back to the position they should be in.

I can see Barrichello becoming some sort of Agent/Advisor to up and coming Brazilian drivers once he packs F1 in. I get the feeling with Barrichello that he's proud to be a Brazilian and would help introduce new talent into the world of F1, GP2 or GP3. Plus i think he'd be really good at it cause he's got the father figure about him.

I think Barrichello may be given another year at Williams next season and if Williams can't get any further up the field then i think Barrichello should definately call it a day.

Back
Top Bottom