Rosetta awakens, does great job, crashed, job done.

Buggered if I can find it now, but read a ESA blog this morning that said they were hoping the batteries would charge as the slight position nudge they were able to impart before Philae hibernated, would in theory provide a bit more light on the solar panels. They also said that the panels would get even more light as the comet gets nearer the sun, so awakening again in weeks or months is a possibility.

Everything crossed.

Edit: FOUND IT
http://www.esa.int/Our_Activities/S...lae_completes_main_mission_before_hibernation

Last edited:
I'm not really into space exploration but would really like this to happen for all who have created and waited for this to work.

Last edited:
Does anyone know the time of the comet's return? I think that it's brilliant that something has been built which has landed on a piece of rock which may be older than the earth and has an eccentric orbit of the sun. Presumably when it get's out to the coldest latitudes it will finally become deceased, what a shame they didn't fit a hot water bottle.

Don't quote me, but I believe the orbit means it would be heat damaged and therefore redundant before it froze.... however, that was based on the intended landing site. I wonder if the fact it is partially shaded makes a difference?

Yeah, maybe! But first thinking was, could the shade from the cliff it sits behind potentially keep the temps low enough for lil' P to survive the summer.

If people weren't so paranoid about all things radioactive, they could have fitted it with Radioisotope Thermal Generators (RTGs) such as we used on Voyager. It is still working beyond the fringes of our solar system.

It is a very large factor in it. They were powered by Plutonium 238, and people start panicking at the thought of the launch vehicle exploding and spreading Plutonium far and wide. Some of the biggest fools even like to evoke the memory of Hiroshima in opposition to the devices, even though the RTGs themselves could never explode.

There is a mood of disapointment going on among the general public, despite the apparent fact that Phileas has already accomplished most of what was expected of it. We're still awaiting a more comprehensive publication of the data collected, which is due to come on thursday.

My own take on the disappointment comes from the fact that what really captured people's imagination about the pictures taken from the Venera, Viking and Voyager probes were pictures from planets like Venus, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn etc.... High resolution images of those exceeded the imagination. What we got from planets and their varous moons were far weirder and more complex than we ever imagined.

We expected comets to consist of dirty, rocky and icy material. Well, that's exactly what they are. And with such low mass and gravity , and therefore no complex reactions taking place on their surfaces that's exactly what they were always going to be...

The latest update we got is that no drilling into the surface was possible because underneath the dusty, soft layer, the material is so dense and hard that the hammer at its most penetrating broke trying to drill into the surface.

Basically we have learned that this comet is far denser and sturdier than we thought.

That in itself is quite informative scientifically speaking, but it's hardly likely to capture the public's imagine compared to what's happening on Venus, Saturn etc is it?

Last edited:
The sad fact is that the general public expect the science to either consist entirely of or at least be accompanied by, pretty pictures. If a project doesn't produce them, the public generally will consider the program a failure even if it is, scientifically speaking, 100% successful.

Such are the times we live in.

Last edited:
Mars's surface:

vikinglander2-2.jpg

Venus's:

Mgn_p39146.png

Volcanic plume on Io:

070502-volcano-io.jpg

Saturn's rings:

Enhanced-colour_image_of_Saturn_s_rings.jpg

What was a comet a few miles wide ever going to achieve in terms of capturing people's imagination?

Last edited:
The Mars picture looks just like sections of the Mojave desert. The public would never know the difference. Let's start a new rumor: those pictures WERE taken in the Mojave desert and the probe never left the launch pad!LOL

Last edited:
Let's start an even better rumour: the Mojave Desert IS on Mars. And as a matter of fact, we all live on Mars.

How do we know we don't, apart from fake Appollo missions and fake sattelite pics? :thinking::twisted:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom