[Rant] I've now decided I hate DRS

The sensors in the existing in-car telemetry package already are provide a considerably more accurate location than GPS (which is watered down for non-military consumers), so they could just use that data.

But, IMHO, you're over-thinking this. Just install a standardized reversing sensor atop the car's brake light. Set the sensor to, say, 20 feet so whenever a trailing car is that close or closer, it switches off one of the leading car's sparking plugs. Or dials back the rev limiter to 17K.

Operationally, it wouldn't be any more daft than DRS, and far less expensive.

I'm not a fan of the implementation, KERS is fine because drivers can use it to defend as well as attack so you don't just end up with sitting ducks on the straight. There were too many occasions where a driver was able to use DRS and ended up comfortably past the guy in front before even getting to the next corner.

I wouldn't mind DRS if the rule was something along the lines of one activation per lap for every driver, I have nothing against the technology itself being in F1. To my understanding at least, wouldn't the car in front activating DRS reduce turbulence for the car behind, allowing him to follow closer anyway?

In my opinion DRS should be deactivated when the passing car is next to the other car. Wasn't DRS introduced to increase slipstreaming rather than be a push to pass?

Last year i also didn't like the Button-Webber situation in Abu Dhabi(?) I think it was Webber that finely passed Button and on the next corner Button had DRS and past him again. Same thing happened in Korea i think with Hamilton-Webber. The car that just lost a place shouldn't be allowed to use DRS for one lap.

Well its the first race of the new season and they've got 2 places to use the button and only one detection point. Although Albert Park isn't an easy track to pass on in the dry DRS will just simply allow faster cars to breeze through.

One thing that isn't seen now that DRS is used in unusual podiums. Schumacher would have finished 3rd in Canada last year had the cars behind not had the button available.

True. That was one of the most effective zones of the season, considering we only had limited use of it due to weather. Just hope it isn't too easy. If you take to the inside on the second zone it will be a difficult overtake.

I think Button would've at least made it onto the podium without DRS. McLaren had the best car in Canada and Button was on top form. Before the final safety car came out Button in 4th was 2 seconds a lap faster than Vettel and then 1-1.5 seconds faster when he got into 2nd.

I'll be clear about one thing, I'm not a fan of DRS, never have been, but in saying that something everyone should be clear about, but many chose to ignore. A driver that has been passed by another driver using DRS has the same opportunity to take the place back on the following lap, if he's quick enough or good enough to stay with him for that one lap. Not one driver that Button passed was able to. Button was simply untouchable on the day and deserves every accolade he received. From memory there were two DRS zones in Montreal, even more reason to suggest drivers Jenson was overtaking had ample opportunity to retake the position. They only needed to stay close for less than a lap. It's time some of you gave praise where it's due. :(

Haters are gonna hate.
The problem for me is the lack of fully unrestricted active aerodynamics, though MB might be changing that to some extent.
Wings that are immobile are a ridiculous and unnatural concept.
And the early wings were all movable be they on the F1s, the Can-Ams, sports prototypes. It took the accident of Rindt and Hill in Spain 69 to ban movable aerodynamics.

I wonder why it took FIA so long to understand that and bring them back (1969 - 2010). There's no need for these restrictions.

Just to be clear, (as I know he's been banned again) DRS is moveable aero with a failsafe; when DRS fails it fails with the wing closed so that there is downforce. Should DRS fail with an open wing in, say, the tunnel at Monaco, the ramifications would be absolutely catastrophic. Its unlikely that such a system could have been in place throughout most of the moveable aero ban.

Moveable aerodynamics does need to be restricted; thus the FIA control scenario vis-รก-vis DRS. While I think we'll all disagree whether DRS creates great racing, I think everyone believes it needs to be done in a safe, controlled manner.

Just to be clear, as I know he's been banned again, DRS is moveable aero with a failsafe; when DRS fails it fails with the wing closed so that there is downforce. Should DRS fail with an open wing in, say, the tunnel at Monaco, the ramifications would be absolutely catastrophic. Its unlikely that such a system could have been in place throughout most of the moveable aero ban.

Moveable aerodynamics does need to be restricted; thus the FIA control scenario vis-รก-vis DRS. While I think we'll all disagree whether DRS creates great racing, I think everyone believes it needs to be done in a safe, controlled manner.

It took me a while to understand by what you meant by "as I know he's been banned again, DRS is a moveable aero with a failsafe", for a moment I thought you were giving DRS a gender.

I thought the DRS zone at Sepang was much too long, though the nature of the race perhaps obscured this.

Surprised it was enabled when the cars where on intermediates, that's not happened before has it?

I still don't like it, doubt I will ever will, but unfortunately will just have to get used to it.

Back
Top Bottom