Random ponderings...

Discussion in 'Gravel Trap' started by FB, Jan 8, 2010.

1. Greenlantern101

Greenlantern101 Super Hero And All Round Good Guy Contributor

Featured Threads:
    Looks wet and windy.

Screen Shot 2018-09-14 at 11.33.52.png

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to remove all adverts.
  3. Angel

Angel Points Scorer Supporter

Featured Threads:
    Based on where Brogan said he is, he's going to catch at least some of the worst of that storm if it carries on like that. I really hope he's safe and well. It must be horrific to be living there knowing that is coming.

Mind you the Philippines and China had an even more vicious storm heading their way too.

4. Brogan

Brogan Leg end Staff Member

Featured Threads:
    It's a bit windy.

Our biggest concern has always been the rain.
    NC is one of the lowest areas of the US and gets a massive amount of rain every year (I think Wilmington already had record rain this year), so flooding was always the main risk for us, and still is depending on where and how much water is dumped.

We back onto a creek and the 100 year flood line is at the end of our back garden - if we get 20-30cm of rain, we could see the back end of our garden disappear under water - any more than that and the house itself may be at risk (and house insurance policies in the US don't come with flood insurance).

Probably going to lose some newly planted fruit trees from the back and front garden due to the wind, and maybe some roof shingles, but they can be replaced.

We do back onto woods with some very large, old trees, which are also a risk factor if the area is flooded and there is high wind.

On top of all that we have Trump ...

20180914_094258.jpg

5. Bill Boddy

Bill Boddy Professional layabout Premium Contributor

Is that a "manly" word for a hurricane?

Maybe he could tweet you out of the problems.LOL

cider_and_toast likes this.
  6. Brogan

Featured Threads:
    Honestly not - I think the wind is basically over for us.
    We may get some later in the day but really, we've had worse regular storms.

https://www.windy.com/35.770/-78.916?35.385,-80.079,7,i:pressure,m:eELadXD

Bill Boddy likes this.
  7. cider_and_toast

cider_and_toast Everything in moderation Staff Member Premium Contributor

Featured Threads:
    I'm surprised Trump hasn't blamed the Caribbean for all of these hurricanes and insisted on building a wall along the eastern seaboard to keep them out. The Caribbean would have to pay for the wall of course.

siffert_fan likes this.
  8. FB

FB Not my cup of cake Valued Member

Featured Threads:
    Fantasy F1 Profile:
    FF1 Profile
    Fantasy F1 Team-mate:
    FF1 Team-mate
    Fantasy F1 Rival:
    FF1 Rival
    The wisdom of Donald Trump on the impending hurricane.

Be safe Mr B and family.

9. Brogan

Featured Threads:
    To be honest, it was all rather disappointing.

I've had worse wet farts - both in terms of wind speed and flooding.

10. Titch

Titch Smile Premium Contributor

Featured Threads:
    Fantasy F1 Profile:
    FF1 Profile
    Brogan just keep your defences up. ( Oh and your knicker elastic tight) Florence is due to dump some serious rain. Hopefully not on you, or your area, but it"s all very slow moving, so it's not over yet.

11. Angel

Featured Threads:
    How goes it with the rain Brogan? I hope there is no flooding for you but given what we've been hearing on our news it's likely there could be.

12. Brogan

Featured Threads:
    No problems for us.

We're not in a flood zone and we're outside the main rain bands.

We have still had a lot of rain though.

Titch and Angel like this.
  13. Bill Boddy

Bill Boddy Professional layabout Premium Contributor

Following the bids for Sky the UK's Takeover Panel has decided that there will be an auction to start on Friday at 17:00, will stop on Saturday. The two contestants are Rupert Murdoch's Fox and US conglomerate Comcast.

The battle for Sky: Why it matters

"No matter who wins the bidding war, Sky subscribers are likely to face higher prices, Ms Enders says."

The elephant in the room is Amazon, they look almost certain to be joining the bidding wars for programmes and sports in the not too distant future.

14. cider_and_toast

cider_and_toast Everything in moderation Staff Member Premium Contributor

Featured Threads:
    What we really need is a few stupidly rich men controlling all of the media so that they can steer the political agenda. That's not a frightening prospect in the slightest.

:facepalm:

Bill Boddy and Greenlantern101 like this.
  15. Titch

Featured Threads:
    Fantasy F1 Profile:
    FF1 Profile
    OK so Storm Ali was exciting. Glad to be back in the world of power to the house. One ring camper stove cooking, no power ( no tv, no light, no heat, no hot water ) for long periods of time is ....... well boring. But the fourteen mile journey home after a morning appointment, and before I discovered the lack of power, was frankly scary. Ali hit mid morning, after we had left home, and in less than an hour almost every route I tried to take to get back was blocked by fallen trees. I eventually used the motorway to get to my nearest place (Lockerbie) and from there up into the moors it was fingers crossed and fortunately most of the downed trees didn’t block the road.
    I can’t tell you how glad I am to have normal service resumed today.
    :)

Last edited: Sep 21, 2018
  16. Brogan

Featured Threads:
    Glad to hear you made it home safely Titch.

The clear up is well underway here.

Titch likes this.
  17. Titch

Featured Threads:
    Fantasy F1 Profile:
    FF1 Profile
    Brogan I have to say the local council here were on top of it from the start. Every road blocked by a downed tree that I encountered had a team already there assessing the situation, and that had to be within an hour.Mobile phones can be really useful. I would imagine that they have just hauled them off the roads, it could be months before they do anything else with them, if ever.
    I hope you kept your feet dry.
    :)

18. Angel

Featured Threads:
    I'm glad you're safe Titch that can't have been nice for you at all. We had some rough winds down here but nothing like as bad as you must have had.

A couple of years ago we had storm Doris, that brought down our garden fence. I could see it going and without thinking about what I was doing I stupidly went out to try and hold up a six foot fence. I don't know what got into me, I'm not a big woman either, if it had gone it would have flattened me. Thankfully I moved away before that happened.

Titch likes this.
  19. F1Brits_90

F1Brits_90 Race Winner

Featured Threads:
    we had the winds although it wasnt bad only 30/40mph. not the winds that were double in Ireland & Scotland. we just got really bad rain, it was torrential from 12:30pm - 7pm & 9 - 10;30pm near me we had 2 flooded roads which made going to work interesting, 3rd time lucky & made the news on radio this morning "worst hit was Sheffield who had 2 weeks of rain in 1 day"

20. vintly

vintly Mostly bacon Premium Contributor

Featured Threads:
    Typhoon in Hong Kong area

Jen Zhu on Twitter

21. Greenlantern101

Greenlantern101 Super Hero And All Round Good Guy Contributor

Featured Threads:
    No thanks I've got the car.

Share This

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use it, you are agreeing to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice