Random ponderings...

Discussion in 'Gravel Trap' started by FB, Jan 8, 2010.

1. cider_and_toast

cider_and_toast Exulted Lord High Moderator of the Apex Staff Member Premium Contributor

Featured Threads:
    Yeah, they aren't my thing either really but my 6 year old son absolutely loves them so we end up taking him around to various preserved stations and stuff.

I appreciate the engineering but I can't get that excited about them.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to remove all adverts.
  3. FB

FB Not my cup of cake Valued Member

Featured Threads:
    Fantasy F1 Profile:
    FF1 Profile
    Fantasy F1 Team-mate:
    FF1 Team-mate
    Fantasy F1 Rival:
    FF1 Rival
    If I ever get rich enough to own a race horse could I call it "The Runner Up" so when the commentators are describing the race they have to say "and in the lead is The Runner Up" and should it win "And the winner is The Runner Up"?

Also, if I ever get bright enough to write a book can I dedicate it For Mica?

4. siffert_fan

siffert_fan Too old to watch the Asian races live. Contributor

Featured Threads:
    Only if the book you write is about counter tops;)

Angel and FB like this.
  5. Titch

Titch Champion Elect Premium Contributor

Featured Threads:
    Fantasy F1 Profile:
    FF1 Profile
    Why would you want to dedicate it to Mica ? Or even Formica. Would it be a kitchen counter top drama.

Bill Boddy and FB like this.
  6. cider_and_toast

cider_and_toast Exulted Lord High Moderator of the Apex Staff Member Premium Contributor

Featured Threads:
    Moved a batch of posts from this thread as they were better suited to the politics thread.

7. Titch

Featured Threads:
    Fantasy F1 Profile:
    FF1 Profile
    Was it Carolina that our esteemed leader Brogan moved to? I have spent the day wondering. If it is, I do hope he’s in his car on the way to Arizona right now.

8. cider_and_toast

Featured Threads:
    Knowing the all powerful site God, he's stood in his back garden wearing nothing but a pair of tighty whiteys yelling "Bring it on you stormy bastard" at the sky.

9. Brogan

Brogan Leg end Staff Member

Featured Threads:
    It is indeed Titch :)

Things we're looking a bit grim yesterday, with the projected track passing right over us, but the latest advisory shows it moving southwards so we won't get the brunt of it.

We're where the orange star is near Raleigh.

location.jpg

We may even get away with just a bit of wind and rain and some minor flooding.

10. cider_and_toast

Featured Threads:
    Brogan if you got that information from BBC Weather I'd get in the car and head north now if I were you.

11. Brogan

Featured Threads:
    :D

It's actually from here: https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/

Click on the big red Florence swirly thing to get specific information on it.

cider_and_toast likes this.
  12. Titch

Featured Threads:
    Fantasy F1 Profile:
    FF1 Profile
    It could still get nasty you’re inside the blue balloon. I hope you have a solid cellar. It is after all only a projected course, it could change at any time.
    I know it could also blow itself out before landfall, but better safe than sorry.

13. Brogan

Featured Threads:
    No cellar - not even a basement.

The house is standard US construction (i.e. crap) - which is why there is so much devastation after a tornado/hurricane.

Just going to wing it ...

Titch and cider_and_toast like this.
  14. RasputinLives

RasputinLives Not dead Contributor

Featured Threads:
    Good luck matey! Let us know you're ok.

15. Angel

Angel Happy to be here. Contributor

Featured Threads:
    Be careful Brogan and stay safe. It sounds like a nasty storm and dangerous too. I certainly wouldn't want to be in the path of it from what I've seen on tv.

16. cider_and_toast

Featured Threads:
    May I suggest hurricane winds and a wing aren't exactly the best combination. I would recommend "cuffing it" as a safer option.

Anyway, looking at the link you provided, it looks like it may be abating a little and will turn further south than suggested yesterday. You may end up with nothing more severe than a wet Sunday afternoon in the UK.

Fingers crossed anyway.

17. Titch

Featured Threads:
    Fantasy F1 Profile:
    FF1 Profile
    Everything Crossed Brogan . Ya’ll take care.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2018
  18. siffert_fan

siffert_fan Too old to watch the Asian races live. Contributor

Featured Threads:
    It has weakened to a category 2 storm. Far less dangerous than originally predicted.

BTW, I am curious: while it may be true that US construction is crap, as stated, what makes you think UK structures would fare better in hurricanes and tornadoes, since the UK gets neither?

19. Olivier

Olivier Race Winner

Featured Threads:
  20. cider_and_toast

Featured Threads:
    Looks like Florence is swinging further south so our site God should be ok.

How's it looking on the ground over there Brogan ??

21. Greenlantern101

Greenlantern101 Super Hero And All Round Good Guy Contributor

Featured Threads:
    Category 1 now. I would imagine thats similar to a typical summers day in Scotland. :)
    (joke. Hope everything is ok)

Share This

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use it, you are agreeing to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice