Technical Radio ban- revisited

So back we go to 'Nico, you need to turn the wheel, yeah, that round thing in front of you with all the buttons on. Oh and while we're on the subject of driving you're slow in turn six. Yeah press the go faster pedal that's right. Ok, we can go through it, ready and..... brake, brake, steady, look for the apex and turn and go faster pedal and away. Yeah well done mate, only another 15 corners to go"

Just ban radios !!!!

Isn't it a tacit acknowledgement that the F1 driver of today is incapable of driving the car without assistance?

If that IS the case, why not eliminate the driver entirely from the equation (the above already indicates that the WDC is a bit of a joke), and make F1 cars RPVs? The performance could go up massively, their footprint could shrink, making on-track action far more common and entertaining, and the vast amounts of money that each team saves by not having ridiculous driver salaries to pay could be dedicated to improving the performance of the cars.

For some reason I'm reminded of the whole 'oh my god make the tyres more durable' turn round we had a few years back. Fans call for one thing so it gets done (badly), teams grumble about it, media hooks on to it, rule gets changed back, fans celebrate, teams laugh, sport looks silly.

FIA needs a strong president. The one thing I can't forgive Jean Todt for is making me wish for Max Mosley.

Fans call for one thing so it gets done (badly), teams grumble about it, media hooks on to it, rule gets changed back, fans celebrate, teams laugh, sport looks silly.

Sorry the sports been looking silly for years, well before yet more rule tinkering with Radios.

Is it me or is this forum more entertaining than the racing?

Nigel Roebuck has written some excellent comments on the absurd application of the radio rules in his Motorsport magazine editorial.

I agree with siffert_fan, are we really at the stage where a driver can't race properly without being told exactly how to do it from the pits?

As RasputinLives points out, it wasn't the rule so much but how badly it was written. Due to the way F1 rules are made (everyone having their two cents) it's never black and white. There are so many ifs and buts written into these things they are doomed to fail. Just look at the team orders rule.

What a farce!! FIA is in a worse place than the UK after Brexit. Or the Labour party.
Radio Ban.
Radio ban revamp.
Radio Ban rules relaxed with immediate effect.
All in one season.
Headless chickens springs to mind.

Who the hell is in charge of the stupid organisation.

Who the hell is in charge of the stupid organisation.

She is!

article-0-0BF58C6C00000578-276_634x402.jpg

I agree with siffert_fan, are we really at the stage where a driver can't race properly without being told exactly how to do it from the pits?

Well, I don't know how to do it either....

In all seriousness, I think that this shows in a nutshell the issues surrounding F1 at the moment.

let me be clear from the start, I have no issue with the radio thing per se, nor do I care about the complexity of the cars and associated systems. I do however, want to see the drivers drive the cars.

The rule which says the car shall be driven alone and unaided has been in place for many years (not sure how many now) and has gone unchecked until now. This means that the complexity of the cars and systems has increased to the point where the drivers need to receive assistance from the pits when it comes to optimum settings etc. you cannot reasonably expect this situation to change overnight without issue.

If the powers that be decide that it is an issue, then the technical regs and/or sporting regs need to be drafted as such in advance to allow the teams to design in the solution.

However, the first thing that they need to do is to clearly identify the issue which they are looking to address.

Personally, I would like to see the drivers restricted in terms of engine modes, but with free reign as to when they can use them, and an automated system to inform the driver of potential failures (safety concerns etc) where they can return to the pits for a fix. Teams would need to design the software to cope, and be more resilient, or dynamic, and adaptable, whilst at the same time, there would be no leeway for the engineers on the pit wall to make improvements to the car as the race progresses.

But like I say, there has been no clear identification of the issue which they are trying to address currently.

Currently my car is showing how many miles to empty rather than the amount of fuel. I have changed it a couple of times but it , like some of the other features, is sufficiently complicated enough for me to have to get the manual out and then hunt for the page where the information is give; this is in an interesting form because the manual has to deal with every option available on all the differing models. It must be easier at 220 kph in an F1 car.

Back
Top Bottom