Pirelli permitted to run two three-day tyre tests with no restrictions

Brogan

Legend
Staff Member
Bernie Ecclestone has told the Press Assocation that Pirelli are allowed to do two three-day tyre tests when they want with no restrictions.

I'm not sure how this ties in with the current regulations and whether the FIA have OK'ed it or not.

I suspect Red Bull will be at the front of the queue for that.

So basically the same announcement from last week, but from the Mouth of Bernie.

Nice list of quotes from Sir Jackie in that article though;

He said: "They've got to open up the regulations and do as many tests as they need to drive in order to feel comfortable their tyres are durable," said Stewart.

"You have to lift the no-testing regulation. That's more important right now than anything else.

"We've already seen it happen with Mercedes-Benz...let everybody else get out there.

"We've got to have a harder construction (of tyre), a harder compound or whatever it is, and then let's get going.

"If we've got to run with hard tyres that mean there's going to be no pitstops for three or four grands prix, let's do that.

"But the amount of debris that was flying around, at the height and speed it was travelling at, is a great concern."

Haven't Pirelli had the option to run any test whenever they want as long as the car is more than two years old? Also, surely it isn't within Bernie's gift to allow Pirelli to do anything, he is the commercial rights holder (supposedly).

Keep your eyes open while driving through the countryside in case you see a horse named "F1". It bolted from the FIA stable a while ago, some one has finally got around to shutting the stable door but they'd very much like it if you could bring the horse back. It's owner a Mr B Ecclestone can't seem to remember much about the events leading up to the loss of said horse but with his first class honors degree in hindsight he has a plan to ensure the horse is never let out of the stable again.

I would say that testing is obviously sorely needed. Delaminations such as those that just occurred pose a safety threat to both drivers and spectators alike.

I doubt that Mercedes can be included in such testing, however. If they are included, perhaps Pirelli should have "Official sponsor of Mercedes F1 team" emblazoned on their transporters.

Someone sat in Paris watching the British Grand Prix and came to a realisation. He ran out of his office shouting "Eureka!"

Turns out, unless you test a product under the conditions you intend to use it, it may not be safe.

Delightfully, now the FIA have come up with this innovation, though it's said to have been apparent to a Mr. P. Hembury for a while, it may be possible for the official scapegoat of Formula One to shake off that status.

Pirelli, thanking Mr. R. Brawn for his previously anonymous charitable donation, would like to make it clear to Messers Boullier and Fearnley that they brought this upon themselves. However, they would be aware that the teams suffering at Silverstone were not named Lotus or Force India.

Mr Ecclestone has today assured everyone that should anything untoward happen, it's not his fault.

I would say that testing is obviously sorely needed. Delaminations such as those that just occurred pose a safety threat to both drivers and spectators alike.

I doubt that Mercedes can be included in such testing, however. If they are included, perhaps Pirelli should have "Official sponsor of Mercedes F1 team" emblazoned on their transporters.

hope this happens. mb needs all the help they can get if this boring run of Red Bull championships is to end.

These tests are separate from the YTD as far as I am aware, so Mercedes will be able to participate as much as any other team.

On twitter, it appears that the race drivers are going to be permitted at the YDT, to test the tyres.

So testing of the tyres is needed. No question in that so great news hurrah. Also I'm all for lifting the testing ban is a great idea toom Hurrah for the slow thinking FIA.

However I have a cunning plan that might sort the tyres and imorove the show. Give all the Pirreli tests for the rest of the season to Marussia and Caterham and they might finally finally catch up with the rest of the field and negate the dis advantage they've had of never being able to test and gain all the knowledge the other teams have.

Plus it would stop all the bitch fighting at the front over who got an unfair advantage and when.

Mallya made a valid point that not all teams are affected by the delamination issue. He said that while he recognized it as a safety issue, it wasnt an issue for Force India.

Mercedes clearly is affected so logic should dictate that a tire test to address tire safety issues should be participated by Mercedes.

Back
Top Bottom