Paul di Resta

Just realised we don't have a thread on the young Scot and there's something I have to get off my chest but, first, here's some history.

A real sporting family, his cousins are the Franchitti brothers and his step father was Scottish footballer Dougie McCracken (no, I'd never heard of him either but he played for Ayr, Dunbarton and East Fife). As ever, started in karting before moving to Formula Renault with Manor Motorsport. He was Formula 3 Euroseries champion in 2006 before moving on to DTM.

With Mercedes backing he was lined up for a drive with Force India in 2009 but FI chose to continue with their '08 driver line up. As test driver in 2010 for FI di Resta finally secured a seat for the 2011 season alongside Adrian Sutil scoring points on his debut and having a highest finish to date of 7th in Hungary.

Anyway, as to my moan. At the pre-race interviews at Spa di Resta complained that he only qualified 18th as the team called him in telling him he was "safe" to get into Q2. Can someone explain why the drivers don't argue with their teams in these situations? He must have seen the track was drying and the grip improving so why doesn't he "grow a pair" and tell them he wants to carry on? It's all too easy to abdicate responsibilty, you're in the car mate, tell them what you think.

And relax...

FB

Di Resta's PR machine clearly did not work I wonder if Anthony Hamilton were his manager if things would be different

It looks like beating the reigning two time world champion as your teammate is not enough to warrant a top drive

I really thought the association with both Mclaren and Mercedes would be good enough for him to land a drive

Viscount

It sounds like shades of Nick Heidfeld who was overlooked by Ron for KImi because he was not too sponsor friendly and was backed by Mercedes

I agree with the money side tapping into Perez backed by the richest man in the world from an emerging market makes business sense

Mclaren do not usually get it wrong when they sign an upcoming driver to be a future world champion... I can only say Montoya and Andretti were the real flops apart from the disastrous bit part with Mansell

Red Bull would stick with Vettel you'd think given his feud with Alonso and Webber will be gone for one of the STR

Di Resta can only cling on to the hope Mercedes or Mclaren will come back for him

Brogan Maybe next race if he doesn't win (which is pretty likely), if he cries a bit in the post race interview like fellow Scot Andy Murray at Wimbledon people might like him more.:snigger:

Sorry. I know sarcasm is the lowest form of wit.

I think Di Resta needs to concentrate on his current team mate right now coz The Hulk is on form and closing and I reckon whoever comes out on top between those pair this season is really going to influence which way their careers go!

It seems Hulkenberg has found his speed and rythm now

DI Resta seems to have more bad luck and distractions since sacking Hamilton as his manager

Il_leone, that is dated October 12th and has been discussed on here before. What is more disturbing for di Resta is that it looks as though Hulkenberg is now becoming more dominant. This is hardly an incentive for teams to go after him.

Does anyone think sacking Anthony Hamilton seems to be the slide of Paul Di Resta and it seems like being rejected by the bigger teams has got him depressed ...this reminds me shades of Nick Heidfeld who thought he was a certainty for a Mclaren driver and was overlooked for Raikkonen by Ron despite Mercedes esp Norbert supporting his corner

Bill Boddy

I think Di Resta has got a real problem as his career is stalling and Force India knows he aint in it for the long term

I'd think he would make a good Williams driver but he is not high on their list either

I am glad for Nico Hulkenberg that he has come back after being wrongly dropped and proven his point to Williams .. he will get a top seat soon

for Di Resta maybe some mentoring lessons with JYS will help him deal with set backs but he really needs to finish the last 3 races strong as I do wonder if Mclaren regret taking on Perez now seeing his performances since have been less than impressive when announced that he is joining them

Well I am a fan of DiResta because we share a nationality but I have to say he has been a massive let down over the second half of this season. Totally trounced by the Hulk in the end. And to top it all stuffed it into the barriers at Brazil. Such a disapointment. I can't see him being in F1 much longer unless he can turn it around next year (if he gets signed). Dam shame.

I am now beginning the question the early hype surrounding Di Resta which includes he beat Vettel as teammate

I am not sure who was making the decision on set up for him because up to quali he supposedly had the upper hand and in the race he struggled with many spins and it was pointed out he went for an all dry set up... that seems like a peculiar decision given there was a high chance of rain on Sunday

Also the class of Hulkenberg shown through today to show he is the next big thing ! I seem to remember another talented British driver spent his first two seasons getting beat and some wondered what the fuss was all about him until he came back stronger in his 3rd season and began to build his reputation as a world class driver .... his name Jenson Button

Di Resta has a lot of soul searching to do this winter and needs to come back strong in 2013

The dry setup argument explains his race performance to some extent but not why Hulkenberg beat him in qualifying as well, unless you want to argue that in Q2 it was still wet enough to favour the wetter setup.

Di Resta will be disappointed with his end of the season, it seemed similar to the way that Jenson went missing compared to Lewis in the first half of the season. Not being able to find a set up that suited him or whatever it was Nico beat him by some margin in the end. Now that Nico's off to Sauber Paul won't get another chance to try and beat him in the same machinery, at least not for a long time. Whoever his team mate is next year, he'll want to put this behind him and have a strong season as team leader. If he doesn't his reputation will start to slide.

the crash meant Di Resta ended up as bottom in the Mercedes powered cars behind Schumacher

Interestinly Di Resta did explain his poor form was down to not being able to switch on the pirelli's later on like the more aggressive Hulkenberg which sounds similar to Button's problems compared to Hamilton

Back
Top Bottom