Paul di Resta

Just realised we don't have a thread on the young Scot and there's something I have to get off my chest but, first, here's some history.

A real sporting family, his cousins are the Franchitti brothers and his step father was Scottish footballer Dougie McCracken (no, I'd never heard of him either but he played for Ayr, Dunbarton and East Fife). As ever, started in karting before moving to Formula Renault with Manor Motorsport. He was Formula 3 Euroseries champion in 2006 before moving on to DTM.

With Mercedes backing he was lined up for a drive with Force India in 2009 but FI chose to continue with their '08 driver line up. As test driver in 2010 for FI di Resta finally secured a seat for the 2011 season alongside Adrian Sutil scoring points on his debut and having a highest finish to date of 7th in Hungary.

Anyway, as to my moan. At the pre-race interviews at Spa di Resta complained that he only qualified 18th as the team called him in telling him he was "safe" to get into Q2. Can someone explain why the drivers don't argue with their teams in these situations? He must have seen the track was drying and the grip improving so why doesn't he "grow a pair" and tell them he wants to carry on? It's all too easy to abdicate responsibilty, you're in the car mate, tell them what you think.

And relax...

its silly season but Di Resta I've noticed is trying a more Prost like approach this season to finish races and get points and cut out all the silly accidents he had last year

Also Di Resta and his team either by it through Anthony Hamilton or Mercedes - Norbert Haug will let everyone know he is part of the next generation and he has the credibility that he beat Vettel in the same team ... has anyone beaten Seb as his teammate?

There are a few possible drives on plate for Di Resta

Given his management and backing he is in a good position to land good drives and beating Hulkenberg who was rated as the " Next Big Thing " will help his credentials

I don;t think Mercedes truly rate Rosberg as someone who could take on the top 3 if I am honest despite a race win...it is usually Ross BRawn that is praising Nico Rosberg I seem to notice not Mercedes themselves

Viscount I was about to mention it but you beat me to it

Certainly the timing is interesting given this is when the silly season really kicks off...I am not sure if he has lost some negotiating power because Di Resta has basically put all his eggs into one basket and gunning for the Mercedes drive and relying on Norbert to put a good word for him otherwise his career will fall away like Heidfeld if he is not careful

With Anthony he could have opened up other choices at Mclaren or Williams or even Ferrari

Could be a conflict of interest having Anthony Hamilton as his manager if what ExtremeNinja posted is true that di Resta might be in line for a McLaren seat.

ExtremeNinja Viscount

Having given second thought and read today that apparently there suppose to be some rivalry with Lewis then I do now think its possibility for him to replace either Hamilton or Button... it is more the former than latter until Lewis signs a new contract

I did say Anthony would find himself in an awkward position should Lewis and Paul come to blows on the track as teammates

Di Resta does have history with Mclaren having been a test driver and through winning the Young Driver award like Button

For Di Resta to get into Mclaren would obviously depend on what Lewis does next year and having Mercedes involved to soothe relations with Mclaren in some way

If Di Resta gets his chance at a big team then he has got to take it I feel as another season in Force India is not going to help his cause...off course that very much depends on if any are available

Thats quite a big allegation on di Restas part and can't be helping his concentration in the car. Accusing Hamilton of defrauding him by over £1,000,000! Whatever way this goes, its not going to look good for one of them.

Paul's a handy enough driver, if a little boring;but when he's interviewed the boredom levels shoot up. I find my eyes glazing over. Is it just me?

Interestingly, given the recent rumours that have abounded about hamilton leaving mclaren, di Resta has just signed to be managed in the same stable as Jenson Button.... Now undoubtedly richard goddard has done wonders for JB, but this is bound to intensify rumours about hamilton's future - since di Resta has been spoken about as a potential replacement...

Di Resta gave a reminder why he deserves a top seat... coincidentally at the same race Schumacher crashes again

A few more solid races from Di Resta until the end of the season might be enough for him to nab the Mercedes seat

Judging by Hamilton's more upbeat mood it suggests he wants to stay at Mclaren now

Interesting talk from Di Resta before qualifying today about missing out on both Merc and Mac drive and sounding like he's unsure on a seat for next year. With Force Inida lacking money for next year and both their drivers playing chicken with the drivers market could it be they've already lined up something else where and that Di Resta might just end up without a driver?

Di Resta must be extremely disappointed that either drive at Mclaren and Mercedes has gone to him

He's in a very difficult position now given the Ferrari contract is only really on for 1 year and he will have to play second fiddle to Alonso but the rumours seems to be Hulkenberg has already signed a deal with Ferrari

To stay at Force India for a third season then he would be in the same position waiting on a drive from MClaren to replace Button or Mercedes to replace Rosberg..then he has nothing really to gain unless he becomes a front runner and snatches a few podiums

despite Sahara's investment , VJ Mallya 's own airline Kingfisher is struggling so there is a question about the team's finances

Sauber
- This is a not bad option if the team come up with a wonder car like they have this season and he can do a Perez and grab a few podiums

Williams

- an outside shot but with money issues and the team already having Bottas as an alternative option this probably won't happen

He is in danger of doing a Nick Heidfeld who stayed at a team because he had no other options

I don't believe sitting on the sidelines will help as other drivers have proven how rusty they are from periods out of F1

Not sure why di Resta should think he deserves either of the drives ahead of a proven race winner, in Lewis Hamilton, or someone who looks every inch a future race winner, in Segio Perez. I presume you mean Il_leone, that the musical chairs didn't fall kindly for him?

Peter Windsor (former sponsorship and general manager at Ferrari & Williams, now an F1 journalist) thinks that di Resta just isn't sponsor friendly enough for the available seats at the top teams despite his talent and that McLaren wanted to move away from having 2 British drivers and Perez gives them the opportunity to tap into a much larger market across Mexico and the whole of South America.

My prediction is that di Resta will stay with Force India for 2013 then move to Red Bull in 2014 to replace Vettel if he goes to Ferrari or Webber if he retires. If Red Bull lose both their drivers at the end of 2013 they may promote one Toro Rosso driver but I don't both being ready for a race winning seat, so Red Bull may want an experienced driver in the team and di Resta will be a prime candidate.

Back
Top Bottom