Things ... Nuggets, tidbits, and anecdotes

Saw this elsewhere and cannot take any credit for recognizing it, but the 2016 Malaysian GP is just the 3rd race in the last 6 seasons that did not feature a World Champion on the podium.

What were the other two?

edit:
The last two I could find were in 2010, Monaco and... Malaysia! Significantly, both podiums contained that years champion, Vettel. Does this mean Rosberg will get the WDC this year?

I now wonder how far back you have to go to find a podium with no past or future champions...

Last edited:
2014 saw two podiums without WDC, but one needs an asterisk.

In Australia there were none, but JB was subsequently promoted to 3rd after Ricciardo's exclusion.

And the 2014 Belgian GP podium was without a WDC as well

I have a vague recollection that at one GP in the early 80's Ligier forgot to take a pressure gauge to one of the races so had to borrow one from one of the other teams to find out what their tyre pressures were.

At the 92 Canadian GP Andrea Moda had to borrow a Judd engine from Brabham because they'd failed to pay their engine bills. I think Roberto Moreno blew it up. Given that Brabham were strapped for cash and would also fold that season, it was incredibly generous of them.

I heard a nice story over the weekend from a friend of a friend who's the singer / guitarist for The Levellers. Jaques Villeneuve had a party in Barcelona 1999 a few days before the GP. Mark from The Levellers gets a phone call to come and play a gig, Jaques is apparently a big fan. All expenses paid, paddock tickets etc, and he says something like 'Hell yes!' The gig goes well, they're treated superbly, and party the night away with F1 drivers and all sorts of others. After the party winds down, a few of them are still drinking in a hotel room in the early hours including Mark, Jaques Villeneuve and Damon Hill. Damon is pissed, and blurts to everyone that he's not told anyone yet, but he's planning to retire at the end of the year. Which was a shock to everyone in the room. They way the story's told Damon was quite battered. Also Michael Schumacher was quite dull (didn't drink a drop) and was more concerned with pumping iron in his trailer, which was basically a mobile gym. And Mark introduced Jaques to Danni Minogue at the party, who soon got married.

Just picked this up from the "Test in F1" Facebook group, the first Jordan F1 car was to have been called the 911 but Porsche asked Eddie to change the name and gave him a car with the same number as sweetener. Here's John Watson test driving the car:

16194972_1728362664159529_860964975707071947_n.jpg

There was certainly no way that anyone would consider any similarity between a Porsche 501 and my Peugeot 405 (the company wouldn't let me have a Porsche).

Back
Top Bottom